• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Anyone shoot a PTR 91?

Re: Anyone shoot a PTR 91?

Well I can't say anything for a HK-91. The "sh*tme" Cetme that I own is a early production and it downright sucks. Now a HK-91 that is running good would be awesome to shoot. I imagine the recoil would suck just like it does on a cetme or g3, but would be managible .

When I fire one round of german surplus at a time it hits the 300 steel everytime. I have some good light HK mags that shoot good but my mag well is so out of wack that it feeds bad still. I say if you have the chance to shoot one go ahead, their still fun to shoot. But always test one before you buy it.. I know...

I have owned a HK91 and a 93. I currently have a standard PTR91. I personally think the PTR's exhibit better fit and finish than the HK. Mine has all HK parts in the BCG and trigger, all that I have pulled apart were either HK or FMP parts so you know they are good parts. Accuracy is good for a MBR, better than a FAL but not a prepped M1A. I am running the iron sights and we were clinking steel silhouettes consistently @ 550 yards.
I put the recoil buffer in it and the recoil is not bad, no worse than my Garand. The trigger from the factory stinks but after a little polishing of engagement surfaces it is much better.
There are 2 things that really give it an edge in MBR's IMHO: 1-absolute reliability, the beast digests any ammo I have run and it is built like a Mack truck. 2- Magazine cost and availability. I picked up 90 new in wrap mags for 1.10 each about a year ago.
A little on the heavy side but hey-it's a Main Battle Rifle. I got rid of the aluminum fore end and put a wide HK forearm and that helped a bit.
If you can find one for a fair price snag it. As long as you remember that its a MBR and not a match rifle you'll like it.

I have had considerable experience with the HK91, SR9, and "clone" rifles like the PTR-91. I have made several posts here on these rifles, but here is the basic "review" on the PTRs.

In my experience, the PTR-91 rifles are THE ONLY clone options worthy of consideration aside from perhaps the Springfield SAR-8 clones (which generally fetch considerably more money and are no better than the PTRs). The basic PTR-91 rifles are excellent battle rifle clones and the best of the HK clone rifles in my experience. The ones I have shot have been extremely reliable with a wide range of ammunition and usually capable of sub-2MOA accuracy with decent ammo/shooter (NOT foreign mil surplus, etc.). With a good trigger job (like those from Williams or Bill Springfield) and optics, they are capable of slightly better than that. The upside to them...excellent reliability, more that suitable accuracy for what the rifle was designed for, better fit/finish on the PTRs than the OEM HK91/G3 rifles (and FAR better than any of the other clones), INCREDIBLY CHEAP AND PLENTIFUL MAGS (I paid around $75 or so for my last 50-pack of NIB aluminum mags...they run a little more these days at a whopping $2/mag)!
wink.gif
The downside...a lack of meaningful aftermarket support for many items (as compared to the AR market), extreme HIGH cost of HK replacement parts/accessories, lack of modularity/flexibility (again...as compared to the AR market), hard on brass if you are reloading or planning on saving brass from the gun (can be resolved mostly through installation of a port buffer (a $30 part).

If you have any specific questions/concerns, drop me a PM or post them up here.

One other thing to note is ammunition selection. It seems a true HK91 will feed anything. On the PTR91 they felt the need to deviate from the original chamber flutes. The apparent result is the PTR is pickier with ammo, especially anything tar sealed. The tar gums up the shallower flutes and causes malfunctions. PTR supposedly test fires with 147gr American Eagle, so I bought a case of that and called it good.

Be careful replacing parts. The PTR has just enough US parts to be legal, usually. I say usually because they are all built a little different, depending on what PTR had on hand as far as surplus parts. I too have an HK handguard I'd like to put on mine, but I need to go through it and count the number of US parts mine actually has. Replacing the US made aluminum handguard with a German (or Pakastani POF) handguard could set yourself up for legal problems.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CNC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">One other thing to note is ammunition selection. It seems a true HK91 will feed anything. On the PTR91 they felt the need to deviate from the original chamber flutes. The apparent result is the PTR is pickier with ammo, especially anything tar sealed. The tar gums up the shallower flutes and causes malfunctions. PTR supposedly test fires with 147gr American Eagle, so I bought a case of that and called it good.

Be careful replacing parts. The PTR has just enough US parts to be legal, usually. I say usually because they are all built a little different, depending on what PTR had on hand as far as surplus parts. I too have an HK handguard I'd like to put on mine, but I need to go through it and count the number of US parts mine actually has. Replacing the US made aluminum handguard with a German (or Pakastani POF) handguard could set yourself up for legal problems. </div></div>

This is only partially correct info.

First off...on the US parts count issues...PTR makes ALL of their current rifles with 8 US-made parts (only 7 required for 922r compliance) which include:

Receiver;
Barrel;
Stock;
Pistol Grip;
Bolt Head;
Bolt Carrier;
Hand Guard; and
Trunion.

Additionally, most current production PTR-91 rifles also use US-made:

Hammer;
Trigger;
Sear; and
Cocking Handle.

Thus, the US parts count is MORE than sufficient for you to swap out to at least SOME non-US parts if you desire.

Second...on the chamber flutes...yes, JLD/PTR did change the HK OEM chamber fluting specs (and they have had a couple different fluting patterns thus far in their production runs). For 99.9% of the people who own/operate these rifles...it isn't an issue. However, any tar-sealed/lacquer-coated ammo (like Wolf and some mil surplus) can gum up the shallower flutes and cause function issues. That is why PTR recommends against the use of such ammo. If you absolutely MUST run this shite through your rifle, then there are a couple of sources that offer "re-fluting" services that deepen and change the specs of the PTR flutes to make them closer to the OEM spec. This is usually a $100 service (give or take) and will resolve any problems running garbage ammo in the rifles. Like feeding a fat kid McD's burgers and fries all the time...do it enough and he'll eventually choke and die. Feed him a better balanced diet and he'll run great!!
wink.gif
sick.gif
wink.gif

Wow I honestly didn't expect to hear that many good things.. I'll look into it

+1 - PTR 91 is the way to go if you want a HK91 clone. They make a great product.

I have the Hk91(1) that I picked up right when the import ban went into affect. These rifle were configured with a thumb hole stock, sporter handguard, and a barrel shroud instead of a flash hider. They also had an additional "1" stamped next to the HK91 to make it compliant to with the Ban. They are great shooting rifles, but the trigger is my biggest complaint. Aside from that, I absolutely love it for a battle rifle. If you find one of these HK91s that was shipped into the US when the import ban went into affect, you will have to get it into compliance by using 7 US made parts as per 922r Rules if you want to make it "look" like an HK91.

My only experience shooting the PTR/JLD was with an early one and it sucked. The handguard melted/warped after just two mags of medium rate fire. Reliability wasn't good either.

On a side note, I have to disagree with an earlier poster about the SAR-8 "clone" quality. Having owned HK91s and SAR-8s and handled PTRs, the 91 and SAR-8 are identical and the PTRs aren't even in the same league. The SAR-8s were made on HK licensed equipment to HK specs and the PTRs are not FWIW.

i've got a ptr91, older wide forend i have a zeiss 3-9 on an arms mount. you have to build up the cheek piece or get a new stock if running optics. they are a pain in the ass to break down and clean, but mine always went bang. i've been considering getting rid of it, but i've had it so long it's tough to. heavy beast, but recoil isn't that bad

I've owned and shot a HK91 for nearly 30 years and there is some very good information above. I'll just add. stay away from CAVIM south American surplus. Between being very dirty and having very soft brass it did cause an ugly failure to extract and eject in my rifle after about 500 rounds with out cleaning. I have also had very good luck with some 168 g OTM hand loads. While I have never been able to get five, five shot groups to average under moa, I have come close. Mine really likes the American Eagle 168 grain OTM. Its a good battle rifle.

I had a PTR 91 and liked it a lot. Accuracy wasn't spectacular, around 2-3" at 100 yards - probably mostly due to the terrible trigger. I wish I would have kept it. It ran perfectly, every type of ammo I threw at it. And now that I know Bill Springfield can do some good work on the trigger I really am thinking about getting another one. My current POF is definitely a little finicky on ammo, but it is so damned accurate I don't mind that at all (and it has a geissle trigger that is exceptional). But I really liked the PTR a lot.

i had one very early one ptr! it had a broken stock ...it suxed till new locking piece and buffer PSG-1 also new stock was installed ...very nice to shoot no longer a jack hammer to shoot nor a case of beer after a few mags ....you need to work with one ....

PTR-91 makes a great carbine/battle rifle. The recoil is not bad, and you wont find a more reliable design from a mechanical point of view. Fixed ejector blowback, cant make it any simplier, and the bc can be used as a hammer to repair other rifles in the field.

PTR makes a very high quality rifle and there are several different models you can get. I owned a PTR91K and a PTR91F both were excellent rifles with great fit, finish and function. PTR uses original HK (FMP) tooling.

There are a few things to look for there have been a few different barrel makers and #s of chamber flutes. Some of these barrels will shoot 7.62x51 or .308 others will only eject comercial .308. Basically all of the PTR barrels tend to be more accurate than a standard HK91 barrel.

Both of my PTRs were made when they were owned by JLD and both would shoot surpluse and comercial ammo. The only reason I sold them was to raise funds for three custom HK clone builds.

I would sugest that you go to hkpro.com and do a bunch of research then you will know what to look for.

Good luck,
TG308

ptr92.jpg

I recently got mine a few months ago. This rifle is rock solid. They had some fluting issues no too long ago and you couldnt shoot most or all surplus. If you get one with a 8000+ serial nunmber you should be good. I have shot German dag through mine with no problems.