• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Anyone shoot a TRG-42 .338 without a break?

Re: Anyone shoot a TRG-42 .338 without a break?

Why the TRG specifically?
Any rifle of similar weight will have the same recoil.

Maybe LL or the guys that see a ton of rifles will chime in with some stats - with and without.

I've done it 50 times or so. Not that bad with the 250 load I was shooting at the time.

Basically I'm trying to see if I can not use a break. I don't care for them very much (sound, dust) and I also know that this would be obnoxious to the other shooters at the range I'm going to break it in at.

The hardest recoiling rifle I currently shoot is a 8 pound Winchester 1886 in 45-70 with 500gr hardcast bullets. It thumps but I have no problem with it.

i have shot it with 300 gr sierras, it was a big hard push, a lot like a hard kicking hunting rifle. I shot it about 5 times and i didn't really want any more. I think 20 rounds would be all I could handle in a day. I don't shoot a lot of hard kicking rifles though, so you can get used to it. Buy the break, or do like my friend did with his and got a can for it. much better.

Go for a suppressor.
Wish we cold have them here, the ranges are always packed (because there are so few) so most of them ban muzzle brakes, where suppressors would actually be advantageous.

I've tried it also. TRG42 with 300gr 4831SC loads doing around 2650. Wouldn't be anxious to try it again.

Yes, but I'm shooting a .338/300win which pretty much duplicates .340wby and is near .338rum. Gives much wider latitude for bullet seating depth and enables light loads, at least with 250gr bullets I've used... Barrel is a custom, not even threaded for a brake.

Ya, mine does not like to shot without the break, she like to hurt me when I try without it.

I do.
i've put about 250 rounds thru it so far.both 250g and 300g .

the recoil is not that bad,but then i'm 220lbs.

i dont use the break because the blast gives me a splitting headache.

i will say if are going to go without the break use a slip-over recoil pad it makes all the differance