• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Anyone shoot smallbore 3 position?

bhoges

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 11, 2003
Plainview,NY
Now that I'm newly retired, I figured I'll start up again. Time to break out the Anschutz 1813L and see how it goes. Its been a while hope my body doesn't hurt too bad. Think both shoulders have torn cuffs. Time to get myself fixed up as well.
DSCN2483.JPG

Have not shot 3-p for several years now due to family and job commitments, but still active with conventional prone and also starting to do some F-SBR. I always enjoy time behind the rifles (1813 for prone and custom 2500x F-SBR rifle).

Finally the local club opened up after the Los Angeles restrictions were lifted. Unfortunately, they only scheduled a few 3P matches this year and I couldn't make any. Hopefully they will schedule more for 2023.

Reactions: lash
It's been decades, but I sure used to. I'm not sure my back would agree with me if I tried it these days.

Its been a while, but yes.

Anschutz 2018, Benchmark 2 groove, Warner/Centra/Stallings sights, Bee Sting bloop tube with a suppressor. No the can isnt ISSF legal, but it makes for a quieter indoor range.

FVIDuHn.jpg

RDARMNP.jpg

pfgfNMy.jpg

8uk4YuI.jpg
Wild how far they have come! Crazy money there days for a full setup.

Closest I get to 3P is the Appleseed clinics. I've got some nice gear, but nothing in the same league as what y'all are posting.....and I'm pretty sure that even with a slick rig, I'd still be dead last on points with my 'skillz'.

Closest I get to 3P is the Appleseed clinics. I've got some nice gear, but nothing in the same league as what y'all are posting.....and I'm pretty sure that even with a slick rig, I'd still be dead last on points with my 'skillz'.
Smallbore is great you learn alot. Who cares if your last. I haven't shot a match in over 15 years. Ill start next Friday.

I’ve never shot 3p and would probably suck at it. I do, however, always include one unsupported positional stage in my .22 long range matches. It often eats the lunch of most people, but I’m stubborn that way.

Shot it a ton in my younger days ( college team even went to Olympic tryouts ) get doing yoga or a formal stretching program. It is tough on a veteran body for sure. Again back in the 1970’s and 80’s it was very popular where I grew up and then attended college, with about a dozen clubs having teams. Haven’t done it since the 90’s.

always include one unsupported positional stage in my .22 long range matches. It often eats the lunch of most people, but I’m stubborn that way.
Start practicing and participating in 3P. You'll be amazed how quickly the standing scores improve with some dedicated practice.

Start practicing and participating in 3P. You'll be amazed how quickly the standing scores improve with some dedicated practice.
You are right, I am sure. I’m not even sure where there is a 3P match anywhere near central Florida. I haven’t really searched either, but I would have thought I’d have heard about them by now.

I certainly do need to do some serious practicing at it though.

Well how about that. I just searched and found out that they hold one only about 40 minutes from me. I’ll have to go one time and humiliate myself so that I can learn a bit of it using my NRL/PRS rifle. Not the optimal rifle and no gear for 3p, but the experience and practice involved will be great for me.

Thanks for the impetus to look it up.

Reactions: bhoges
Shot 3 position from 1993 - 1996 but nothing since. Eyes and body don't seem to want to cooperate as well any more. Iron sights have pretty much given way to scopes and benches have replaced 3 position. Getting older sucks!

Yeah, I hear ya. I went to the doctor yesterday to get a shot in my elbow. Tennis elbow flared up again. Going to the club Friday see how it goes.

Late 70's. College team. Shot a 1413 under ISU rules, light jackets. Best training, other than shooting, is running. Always walk behind the line and stretch before a stand card.

Have fun,
MrSmith

Reactions: Pipefitter I’m
Just got back from my first practice. First, I forgot my 50 ft adapter for my Leupold. Quick run home and I was back. I had no clue what my adjustments would be on the rifle. Then wrestling with my Knobloch glasses was a pain. In all it wasn't too bad. My scores were off but not bad at all. I shot a 276/300. I think I haven't shot smallbore in 17 years maybe more. I'm bummed I found out the teams shoot postal matches. No more travel. Between it being a sport of old men after Covid nobody wanted to travel.

Mid to late 60’s was trained by old WWII Marine Corps vet in proper marksmanship. Qualified NRA expert in small bore at age 11.

Mid 70’s college team. Shot 3P. Was a low budget team. We used old CMP rifles. Never had good ammo, lol. I was usually #1 or #2 score on the team. An upperclassman was my main competition. Shot freshman and sophomore years but gave it up to focus on academics after that.

Last edited:
Reactions: RTH1800
Did it when I was a kid, I'll still sling up when I'm practicing. Love doing it on the steel range with a centerfire. Smacking turkeys at 400 meters and rams at 500 off hand is a lot of fun.

Reactions: bhoges and lash