• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Anyone shooting a Shilen .260 Remington barrel?

bhart89

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 28, 2009
LA
I just got the in stock email yesterday and ordered the 24" .260 Remington barrel. It's got a 1/8 twist. Anyone else running this barrel? If so, what bullets does it like? I already have 300 140gr A-max bullets and 3 lbs of H4130.

Barrel cost $315 but with the $30 off $300 or more coupon I got it for $298 shipped.

Yes, I just had a 27" one installed on my Savage LRP. My load is 41.8gr H4350 under a 140gr Hornady HPBT ~20 thousandths off the lands. My smith set the headspace quite small IIRC.

Shots 3-5 @100yds
Shillenshots3_5_group_zps38a50eba.jpg

Shots 6-8 @ 100yds
Shillenshots6-8_group_zps03e3068b.jpg

Last Sunday I was able to get out to the farm and stretch things out to 300yds. I just went prone on the ground off the bipod and Accu-shot monopod. Wind was from 3 o'clock at ~12-15mph:

Shots 11-13 @ 300yds (12 & 13 are the two touching)
Shillen300yds_group_zpsfdec791e.jpg

I did a quick 5 round string with the magnetospeed chrono and had an average of 2776fps which is identical to the previous barrel with this load. Overall, I'm very pleased with the Shilen barrel. I hope you enjoy yours as much as I enjoy mine. :)

Awesome. I hope my barrel is as good as yours even if my shooting isn't.

the 1-8 twist 260 barrels shoot all the bullets really well from 120 to 142 you cannot go wrong. I have tested over a dozen different combination of brand and weight. I am tired of testing, basically pick a bullet and it'll shoot it just fine.

During my lunch break I swung by the local Academy sporting goods store and picked up a donor Remington 700 ADL in .308 for $379 ($414 with tax).

Next decision will be AICS or Whiskey 3...,

the 1-8 twist 260 barrels shoot all the bullets really well from 120 to 142 you cannot go wrong. I have tested over a dozen different combination of brand and weight. I am tired of testing, basically pick a bullet and it'll shoot it just fine.

Good to know. Now I can rationalize getting into a 6.5 Grendel AR because I can share bullets. Lol

I built a grendel ar, then a 6.5 creedmoor savage. Picked up a tikka sporter260. The two bigger 6.5 resulted in the grendel collecting dust and finally sold it. The grendel doesn't have enough ass for 140-142, that class of bullets is what makes the 6.5 dominate most other calibers except the hot, heavy 6mm.

We put two Shilen Select Match 260 barrels on our new Savages and can't ask for anything more. Both guns shoot about anything we put in them but settled on 43.5 of H4350 with the Hornady 140 BTHP Match for our local 1000 yard matches. Nearly any bullet in that weight class shot equally well.

Good luck

Topstrap

I ran a Shilen Select Match 1:8" Remington Varmint contour 6.5x47 Lapua for a while. It was a shooter.

i have a shilen 260 barrel with around 4,000 rounds through it and it shoots .3 five shot groups. mine it 22" and I shoot 142smk with 43gr of H4350. I'm sure the 140s will work fine for you. I have several guns with shilen barrels and have always been pleased with them

jim

I have a Shilen on order, should be about 4 weeks out now. Mine is a Sendero weight 26" and an 8 twist. I plan on having Long Rifles chamber and thread it. We will see how it shoots compared to a Bartlin. J

During my lunch break I swung by the local Academy sporting goods store and picked up a donor Remington 700 ADL in .308 for $379 ($414 with tax).

I *hate* that Academy won't sell long guns to people that aren't residents of the state the store is in, or an immediately adjoining state.

I'm in TX and LA all the time for work, and miss out on stuff like this...

I am running that barrel on my new rifle. Bought it short chambered. Sent a bunch of parts to PCR and let them wave their magic wand over it. I broke it in with remington factory 120gr ammo. Five shots for sight in, the next five for a group. .4 MOA with my limited shooting abilities from a bipod and a bag. while five shots is not the measure of a rifle, it is a good indicator.

I have loaded up 50 rounds of 140 SMK's over H4350, once i have time to get to range, i will post results. I walked into the LGS and they had the SMK's, the H4350 and brass. Talk about luck.

I have a schillen select match 1.25 straight taper, 1-9'' twist, 30'' barrel on a rem action and it shoots 5 shot 1 hole groups at 100 yards with lapua 123gr scenars(if i can do my part) with a very stout charge of H4350. I am very pleased with this barrel.