• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Anyone shot the new Millet's? 35 mm tube?

gprippers

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 11, 2010
OREGON
Anybody out there shot the 35 mm tube from Millet or any of their other "high line" scopes? I looked at one the other day on a guys rifle and they were nice and bright/clear and he was ripping the 1000 meter target and holding quite well. Might buy one to give it a shot but was hoping some one else had tried the newer 35mm tubes to be exact.

Tanks in advance.

Re: Anyone shot the new Millet's? 35 mm tube?

If you're talking about the lrs-1 it's not new. Search ' LRS-1' here and you will probably find some info.
FWIW, I have taken the TRS-1(the 4-16x50) out to 600 yards. It did the job and was adequate but not great - but still better than I expect from a $300 scope. Then I took it out to 1200 yards. I could see my target , but compared to my buddy's nightforce it looked like the picture quality of an old cell phone with a thin film of spit on the lense. I would imagine the quality of the lrs-1 glass is just about the same but you get more zoom to see the film of spit better, if you know what I mean. Just do yourself a favor and never look through too quality glass and you wont know what you're missing...

I got my dad a LRS for his birthday, and that thing is ginormous. Seriously. It's like a 20" scope with sunshade. It's really bright though, and it was definitely worth the money.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bodywerks</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you're talking about the lrs-1 it's not new. Search ' LRS-1' here and you will probably find some info.
FWIW, I have taken the TRS-1(the 4-16x50) out to 600 yards. It did the job and was adequate but not great - but still better than I expect from a $300 scope. Then I took it out to 1200 yards. I could see my target , but compared to my buddy's nightforce it looked like the picture quality of an old cell phone with a thin film of spit on the lense. I would imagine the quality of the lrs-1 glass is just about the same but you get more zoom to see the film of spit better, if you know what I mean. Just do yourself a favor and never look through too quality glass and you wont know what you're missing...</div></div>

I daresay that it could be, the "production line differences" of the scope. I've run mine to 800 and 900 yards a few times now, and each time the view wasn't nearly as bad as you described yours. Could be, that I've got a charmed one. Could be, that you didn't. I haven't run the numbers to lean in either direction.

I have one that it’s on my 416 Barrett. I have 350 rounds with it and never had a problem. I also have 2 NightForce scopes 5.5-22X50 NSX. I personally like Millett.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: negotiator</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have one that it’s on my 416 Barrett. I have 350 rounds with it and never had a problem. I also have 2 NightForce scopes 5.5-22X50 NSX. I personally like Millett.

</div></div>
WOW

I've been using one of the LRS's for a while now and it is a good scope for what you pay for it. I have the non illuminated version. with that 35 mm tube it has something like 140 MOA of adjustment(if I remember correctly. I abuse the hell out of mine and it hasn't lost its zero. I've run the the turrets out to 1000 yds on it and back and the poi at 100 yds is always the same.
however the clicks on the turrets don't line up perfectly with the marks on the knob, but are very close. it has a lock ring feature that lets you lock the turret down so it can't be turned when you set your elevation. The glass isn't 2000 dollar glass its 400 dollar glass. its probably on par with Burris glass or leupold VX-2. it come with a set of rings, that are extremely high, so if you don't have and adjustable cheek piece on your stock you will probably have to buy a different set of rings that are lower. I have mine sitting on a rem 700 LA with 20 MOA base and the objective bell is about 3/4" off of the top of the barrel. other than the rings though I can't complain about it for the money.

I will preface this with saying I have never even looked at a Millet scope, but if I had the money to buy TWO NightForce scopes I would prolly never even consider one either! That just from the reports of hit or miss in both there scopes and customer service.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sean the Nailer</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bodywerks</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you're talking about the lrs-1 it's not new. Search ' LRS-1' here and you will probably find some info.
FWIW, I have taken the TRS-1(the 4-16x50) out to 600 yards. It did the job and was adequate but not great - but still better than I expect from a $300 scope. Then I took it out to 1200 yards. I could see my target , but compared to my buddy's nightforce it looked like the picture quality of an old cell phone with a thin film of spit on the lense. I would imagine the quality of the lrs-1 glass is just about the same but you get more zoom to see the film of spit better, if you know what I mean. Just do yourself a favor and never look through too quality glass and you wont know what you're missing...</div></div>

I daresay that it could be, the "production line differences" of the scope. I've run mine to 800 and 900 yards a few times now, and each time the view wasn't nearly as bad as you described yours. Could be, that I've got a charmed one. Could be, that you didn't. I haven't run the numbers to lean in either direction. </div></div>
With the hit or miss of the milletts it is very possible that you just got a charmed one. But have you looked through it and then done a comparison with a top quality scope at the same time under the same conditions? I did, and it showed the millett's worth. Still a great scope for the money but it ain't no USO or NF....

I bought one of these from Big River Tactical when they first came out for a Remmy 5R, many rounds down the pipe, returns to zero well,decent glass for the $$, can see 30 cal holes at 500yds with it, never had a tracking issue, in my opinion a great scope for the money

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bodywerks</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Still a great scope for the money but it ain't no USO or NF.... </div></div>

And for those that can afford S&B's and Hensoldts, they wonder why one would waste your time looking through NF or USO glass.

Everything is relative.
I have a TRS-1, the glass is very good <span style="font-weight: bold">FOR A 300 DOLLAR SCOPE</span>.
It is not good glass for an 1800 dollar scope, or a 3000 dollar scope.
As you stated, it IS a GREAT scope for the money. Accurate, repeatable adjustments, good glass, a long list of features.
If you are looking for an entry level svope that can get you way out there, the Millets are a very good place to start.

I wish I could afford a NF or USO, it just isn't in the cards. I have to make do with the Millets and Falcons or Bushnell 4200's.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: negotiator</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have one that it’s on my 416 Barrett. I have 350 rounds with it and never had a problem. I also have 2 NightForce scopes 5.5-22X50 NSX. I personally like Millett.

</div></div>

YIKES! Not what the NF boys wanted to hear!

Thanks to all who posted here. Im going to try one and honestly compare to USO, NF, Leupolds and Burris to see what is what for the money. Thanks again.

I don't think that anybody that has any sense would expect to get a NXS, USO, Vortex Razor, or S&B quality scope for 300 bucks! I have/had owned 3 Millett TRS-1's over the last few years and I only have good things to say about them! They have performed as they are designed and have done what I needed them to without a hiccup! I am no stranger to quality optics, I have a Vortex Razor 5-20X50 on my duty rifle and have owned MK4's and NXS scopes. I compared a TRS-1 to a Leupy Vari-X III 4.5-14X50 tactical and my eyes couldn't tell much difference. Maybe my eyes are f-cked up but that was my observation! In fact I currently have 2 new MIL/MIL TRS-1's on order and I can't wait for them to arrive. The rifles that are slated for the TRS-1's are hunting/paper punching rifles and on my limited budget I can't afford to put $2000 scopes on them but I do want scopes that I can trust to perform as designed when I need/want them to and I have no doubt, based on my experience with TRS-1's, that they will do just that! So....... Here's my advice! If you are expecting a 2 or 3 thousand dollar quality scope, don't buy the Millett, save your money and buy a 2 or 3 thousand dollar scope. If you are wanting a dependable scope that will perform as designed for about 300 bucks, then you won't be disappointed with the Millett!

what is up with you paranoid freaks and your "round count crud"? Im so tired of hearing that crap! What the hell am i gonna do with a post count? MAGIC FN PRIZE OR WHAT? Cuz i stated NM? THAT MEANS NEVER MIND! STAY AWAY FROM MY POSTS IF YOU ARE GONNA WHINE ABOUT POST COUNTS! I DONT WANT TO HEAR ANYTHING ABOUT POST COUNTS AGAIN!

My posts have lead to many purchases on the forum and what i post and when aint nobodys business! I have already talked to Frank about this and I am good to go!

LAY OFF!

KSP446..Thanks for chimning in with great info that i can actually do some thing with.

Too many guys posting in about "post counts!" You guys need to relax! Put in for your mod buttons or back off.

Again, thanks for a positive post that i learned something from.

Oh chit! I posted back to back call the post count police! JEEEEEEZZE! LOL! I have been told that guys are worried about people getting to 100 posts fast so they can sell stuff, well i aint that guy so drop it! If i post something for sale it wont be till i hit 2 or 300 just so you guys feel o.k. about it! I came here to get back into the long range shooting game and i lurked around for quite a while reading and getting up to speed on all the latest greatest gagdets and gizmos as well as the intelligent threads discussing the tech side of LRS.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GPRIPPERS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">what is up with you paranoid freaks and your "round count crud"? Im so tired of hearing that crap! What the hell am i gonna do with a post count? MAGIC FN PRIZE OR WHAT? Cuz i stated NM? THAT MEANS NEVER MIND! STAY AWAY FROM MY POSTS IF YOU ARE GONNA WHINE ABOUT POST COUNTS! I DONT WANT TO HEAR ANYTHING ABOUT POST COUNTS AGAIN!

My posts have lead to many purchases on the forum and what i post and when aint nobodys business! I have already talked to Frank about this and I am good to go!

LAY OFF! </div></div>

I hear you,the post count police should leave you alone!!!

It should be the Spelling and Punctuation Police on your ass instead.

I've been tempted to try out one of the Millet's, I'am used to a Leupold Mk4 quality glass however I may still try one, I really don't like the large side focus knob.. It just looks bulky? I havn't used one yet so it may not bother me that much.. I do have a 6-18x40 Nikon which is approximately a $300.00 scope which isn't bad, I wonder if the Millet is as good as the low end Nikon optics? which are pretty decent actually...