• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Anyone still for the 30-06

bjohnson87

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 14, 2010
Greenville SC
I know there are alot better more efficient rounds out there but is it worth building a long range gun chambered in 06 the round seems to be plenty if the right load is used let me know what yall think just seems like this round is slowly fadeing away even though it was the most popular a few years back

Re: Anyone still for the 30-06

Hathcock used it (also known as Whitefeather) with excellent results in Viet Nahm.

I shoot the hell out of mine, it's a great round.
A 168 bthp or a 180 ballistic tip will reach way out there.
I haven't shot any 208 Amax's yet, but I plan to.
With IMR4350 you can push it very close to 300WM levels, need I say more ?

I think so. I load 168 grain bullets with 61.5gr of RL-19 and get just over 2900 fps. That is definitely ballistically supperior to the .308 Even better would be an AI 30/06

The 30-06 is a great round. It's just not a "sexy" round these days. For long range, push a 190 SMK or VLD, 208 A-max or 210 VLD, and it will shot to about 1200 yards for the 190's, and 1400-1500 yards for the 208/210. For closer in hunting, any good hunting bullet will serve well. Brass is plentiful and good quality. Loads are easy to find, and the '06 is not a finiky round to load for. It has may positive's going for it.

Got on on the bench now, just waiting for some part. rem 700 l/a Mike rock barrel, cdi dbm in a McM stock.

I have no super ranges to brag about....I am primarily a hunter. Furthest I have done is 382 yds on an antelope. It is more capable than the .308 for long range ballistically. Faster with the same bullets just more recoil.

is on my next to build list

win pre 64 long action
McMillian HTG forest camo
SS barrel 1-10 23" 5 contour
Williams/Badger M4 bottom metal
Timminey trigger
Scope something worthy of sitting on top of this beauty

will be my primary hunting weapon for any thing on this side of the world

With the speeds people are getting with rl17 and 208s in a 308 I'd like to see what the 06 can do.

I cant wait to get started on mine i gotta get the funds together first though so much to do

I built a Vietnam Era sniper rifle, Model 70 in '06, It does pretty good in 1000 yard matches. I load the same for it as I do my Garand, 47 grns 4895, Fed Match Primes, and 175 SMKs, LC 68 Brass.

Not a dern thing wrong with the '06.

"Slowly fading away"?? Where did you get that idea?? The 30-06 is alive and strong. The only down fall to the 30-06 cartridge is the fact that most kids just do not want what their dad had. They want to be different. The 30-06 is an extremely effective cartridge. The 308 may be a tad bit more efficient, however it is just a tad. And the 30-06 will outperform it without going to a magnum action?? The 30-06 is alive and well, and actually having a resurgence. If the military had not adapted the 308 then it would have probably fell to the wayside a long time ago. But the military sealed the life of the 308 cartridge. No doubt the 308 is a great cartridge, but in the world of hunting it will still never be as popular as the 30-06. IMO the 30-06 really starts to shine over the 308 when you go to the heavier bullets for the 30 caliber.

I am not trying to start an anti 308 argument. I am only saying that if custom builders built a 30-06 to the quality that they build their custom 308's, then the 30-06 will still shine brightly.

If you have any doubt what the 30-06 will do. Then go to Camp Perry when they are having a Garand shoot. But be humble. There are some old time grunts up there that will kick your butt with that old 30-06. I have seen it first hand. They are some of the greatest guys in America. But don't cross them, and don't bad mouth their 30-06's.
grin.gif
grin.gif
Tom.

I favor the .338-06 for the extra bullet weight and high BC. Where I live, need the 230/250gr bullet. Better velocity with heavier bullets, plus the extra diameter knockdown function; also get the super barrel-life. If there weren't moose and brown bear in my yard from time to time, would be very happy with a .30-06.

Hogghead: I agree with everything you said. My next build will be a 30-06.

The 30-06 is one of the most versatile cartridges out there.... Load heavy, load lite.... It doesn't care. If you build it right, you would have a heck of a shooter with this caliber....
Always pay attention to a caliber or weapon that John Browning designs..............They go places, and kick ass.....
SmokeRolls

Nice to see others like me who still love this cartridge. Can't wait for my Model 70 '06 build to get done. Waiting on the A-5 will take a while though.

This thread has reaffirmed my decision to build out my aught 6. I am new to reloading but spent a lot of time researching loads and trajectories before I pulled the trigger on ordering my Kreiger 5R MTU. I was almost swayed into the .300 Mag but decided not to add the extra abuse to the barrel or my shoulder. My stick is still on the bench waiting for the barrel and still has the factory pencil hanging off her, but her bolt is currently at the smith getting all the purties done to her. My plans include 500-800 yard targets with a 300 yard zero. That is about all the distance I can shoot here in NW Florida so I am pretty stoked about getting this rifle to the range. I am collecting gear to load my own, so we will see what she likes once the Kreiger gets here.I would like to hear what my fellow aught 6 brothers are shooting for ammo...

Keep this thread alive...

Semper Fi

I shot my first .06 at an early age, Back then you didn't have much to choose from in bullets and powder. Now 50 yrs later you scratch your head and wonder which one to try next.

The 06 is an established round. Its history is long, and uses are limitless. Competition, hunting, long range, it has been used by all. It is capable at stopping any North American game, both 2 and 4 legged. The main reason the military went away with it was for a lighter recoiling round. The .308 Win. met their needs. As far as the 06 vs. .308 debate, its a pointless argument. Again, the military didnt do the change for any miracle properties of the cartrige. Its best to look at the 06 as an all purpose round.

I'm thinking 100 years from now the .30-06 will still be kicking.. great round that was my first non 30-30 big gun and took untold whitetails 90+% were bang flop don't go look just get the truck and back up. 13 calibers and 20 center fires later it is still the hammer.I never noticed recoil at all till I put a pre 64 mod 70 Target in a straight comb metal butt plate pre 64 sporter stock for my' Carlos Hathcock' whitetail bean patch hammer, after 5 ,5 shot groups my shoulder felt like I shot on a hot dove shoot with an old Browning humpback sweet 16 and high brass bullets. long will live the mighty 06 Springfield....

Thanks for all the info guys im getting the plans together now its a savage 110 with a KDF muzzle break but im gonna do away with that barrel and replace it with a custom match bbl any reccomendations on which smith to have do the barrel im just starting this build here it is as of now

2mhg7zl.jpg

28lcjkx.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: FlaBouy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This thread has reaffirmed my decision to build out my aught 6. I am new to reloading but spent a lot of time researching loads and trajectories before I pulled the trigger on ordering my Kreiger 5R MTU. I was almost swayed into the .300 Mag but decided not to add the extra abuse to the barrel or my shoulder. My stick is still on the bench waiting for the barrel and still has the factory pencil hanging off her, but her bolt is currently at the smith getting all the purties done to her. My plans include 500-800 yard targets with a 300 yard zero. That is about all the distance I can shoot here in NW Florida so I am pretty stoked about getting this rifle to the range. I am collecting gear to load my own, so we will see what she likes once the Kreiger gets here.I would like to hear what my fellow aught 6 brothers are shooting for ammo...

Keep this thread alive...

Semper Fi</div></div>
MontanaMarine is a good one to ask about 30-06 loads. That seams to be one of his favorite calibers and he seems to know alot about handloading that caliber.
SmokeRolls

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bjohnson87</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Whats the longest shoot yall have tried with an 06 </div></div>

1400 yards successfully.

I get 2875 fps from my 26" barrel with the 208 Amax. It's not down much on a 300 WM. With 178 Amax I shoot an exceptionally accurate but still well under max presure of 2940 fps, it's running about 300 fps faster thant the 308 and only about 50-75 under a 300 WM. No belt, less powder, better barrel life, cheaper brass...

Loaded properly in a strong action it's easily capable of running down a lot of the more "tacticool" rounds down. The 260 doesn't quite get there either. The 308 doesn't hold a candle to it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Quicky06</div><div class="ubbcode-body">With the speeds people are getting with rl17 and 208s in a 308 I'd like to see what the 06 can do. </div></div>

IIRC MontanaMarine is picking up about 50-75 fps over RL22. That should put my 208's solidly into the 2900 ranges. Easily competitive with the 300 WM.

30-06 was my first of many rifles, and its still the first i reach for when i open the safe to go hunting! i have more 'sophisticated' calibers but the '06' just does everything right, and it does it cheaply. Barrel life, ammo ect... its just a great all round caliber

I have had complete passthrough on a BIG cow elk at a ranged 548 yards. Hit a rib on the way in, through the heart and broke the offside shoulder.

Shot a 370 lb black bear at 270 yards quartering away and it passed completely through.

Shot 5 deer at ranges from 200 to 500 yards and every one has been DRT.

Love my '06 but am gonna try building a .280 AI off the action, for no more reason then just building my first rifle!

Mike