• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Gunsmithing Anyone texture AICS panels?

BozoWise

Private
Minuteman
Sep 18, 2004
Texas USA
I was thinking about using the devcon method and texturing my AICS panels. I am unsure how much the panels flex and if the devcon will chip off.

Looking for someone with experience and/or pics before I tear into a set of panels.

Re: Anyone texture AICS panels?

We've sanded them prior to Cerakote. It adds some texture, and of course, a new color.

Not the texture like your thinking though. They're pretty stiff, but I would expect the epoxy to crack. Unless it was put on juust right.
I've never epoxy textured anything before

BW,

I've used MarineTex quite a bit around my sailboat and I do not think that it would adhere to the AICS skins due to it's flexible, oily composition. The epoxy needs a substrate at least as rigid as itself when cured. I think that if AI could mold the texture into it's skins, that would be the cat's pajamas.

Maybe someone skilled at stippling plastic can chime in and offer a suggestion. I just used a few strategically placed pieces of traction tape on mine.

11hh1ms.jpg

I would bet stippling like you see done to the polymer pistols would be a better option. I have a 1911 that has been stippled and its fantastic, not sure how well it would be on plastic though

Well I guess I will get some more brass machine screws and make some new stippling tips for the iron.

I really liked the Devcon texture on my HS but I was pretty confident it would crack because of the substrate of the AICS panels.

I'll do a writeup and post some pics.