• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Anyone Tried Stick-On Reader Lenses For Shooting Glasses?

vh20

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 2, 2012
I'm wondering if any of you have tried these, and how they worked? I bought some to try and will relate my experience after only a single trip out with them.

I've reached the age where I need readers to see my turrets and Kestrel, notes, etc. But my distance vision is better than perfect, so I don't wear glasses. It's a real pain though, switching back and forth between readers and shooting glasses when behind the rifle. I wondered if something like this might exist, so I googled it, and sure enough:

hydrotacs.jpg

As you can see, they're nearly semi-circular. I wanted them as far down in my field of vision as possible, but you can trim them with scissors, so I did. I wanted them as far out of the way as possible, and I do not mind having to tilt my head back to use them, because they are only used a fraction of the time I'm wearing them. I mounted them up (they mount with just a drop of water), centered over my pupils, and went to the range. They worked great except when reading/scanning things left/right I noticed that I had too much gap between the reader and the nosepiece, causing some distortion when looking left or right of center. So last night when I got home, I peeled them off, cleaned them well again, and re-mounted them all the way to the inside against the nosepiece. That cleared up any distortion problems and I'm ready for the next session. I don't know how well they'll stay, but I'm wondering what folks here have tried?

Tombstone hydrotacs.jpg

Yep, They work well
That said, I always carry a backup pair of bifocal safety glasses.
Available both the stick-on lenses and safety glasses are available on Amazon