• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Range Report Anyone tried the new Hornady 6.5 147 ELD-M vs 140 ELD-M

Loaded up a few 147's today behind my load for 140 AMAX using IMR 4451

140 AMAX
Mv avg =2868
ES= 14
​​​​SD= 5.8
0.020 off lands

147 ELD-M
mv avg = 2848
ES = 9
SD= 4.7
0.040 off lands

I literally used same charge weight from 140 AMAX load and did not touch seating die. The ogive difference between 140 and 147 is what accounts for 140 being 0.020 off lands and 147 0.040

I'll take these results!!

1:8 twist 26 inch barrel

140 AMAX
Mv avg =2868
ES= 14
​​​​SD= 5.8
0.020 off lands

147 ELD-M
mv avg = 2848
ES = 9
SD= 4.7
0.040 off lands

I literally used same charge weight from 140 AMAX load and did not touch seating die. The ogive difference between 140 and 147 is what accounts for 140 being 0.020 off lands and 147 0.040

What kinda of groups were you getting with the 140 amaxs? Im wondering if i should bump up my charge of varget (currently 2775fps ~.5 moa at 300)

What kinda of groups were you getting with the 140 amaxs? Im wondering if i should bump up my charge of varget (currently 2775fps ~.5 moa at 300)

0.3-0.4 moa at 100 yards that was nearly all horizontal .......i was at a public range and had a .30-06 blasting on one side and machine guns on the other......also been a little bit since I've shot for tight groups like that so I think it can tighten up a little more

I'll host the pics later then post them up

I bet 147 seated 0.020 vs 0.040 will tighten it up too

140 AMAX
Mv avg =2868
ES= 14
​​​​SD= 5.8
0.020 off lands

147 ELD-M
mv avg = 2848
ES = 9
SD= 4.7
0.040 off lands

Took this 147 ELD load out yesterday and it performed amazing!

Keep in mind I have not done full work up yet and it has more potential as these are seated about 0.040 vs my 140 AMAX at 0.020

Here's the run down of some dope
----------------------140 AMAX ------------- 147 ELD
----------------------2868fps------------------2858fps----

590 yards ------3.3------------------------------3.5

1000---------------7.8------------------------------8.0

1600--------no attempt-----------------------19.0

I had been​​​​​​ shooting my 140 load most of the day (it HAMMERS) and then switched over to 147 load.

Went to straight to 1000 and gathered dope on full size torso steel on 147.

Weather conditions got perfect so I immediately went from 1000 to 1600. First shot was a miss, second round HIT and third round HIT at 1600

All of this was shot out of my form 1 suppressor as well

Temp = 84F
DA = around 2300

Als​​​​​​o, had a buddy shooting his GEN 1 RPR in 6.5CM using factory 147 ELD-M ammo and it was an absolute laser.

One of the most enjoyable parts of the day was us having a shoot off with clay pigeons on a short wood stakes at 1000 yards. I was using my 140 AMAX IMR 4451 load. Results were stellar to say the least.

Took this 147 ELD load out yesterday and it performed amazing!

Keep in mind I have not done full work up yet and it has more potential as these are seated about 0.040 vs my 140 AMAX at 0.020

Here's the run down of some dope
----------------------140 AMAX ------------- 147 ELD
----------------------2868fps------------------2858fps----

590 yards ------3.3------------------------------3.5

1000---------------7.8------------------------------8.0

1600--------no attempt-----------------------19.0

I had been​​​​​​ shooting my 140 load most of the day (it HAMMERS) and then switched over to 147 load.

Went to straight to 1000 and gathered dope on full size torso steel on 147.

Weather conditions got perfect so I immediately went from 1000 to 1600. First shot was a miss, second round HIT and third round HIT at 1600

All of this was shot out of my form 1 suppressor as well

Temp = 84F
DA = around 2300

Als​​​​​​o, had a buddy shooting his GEN 1 RPR in 6.5CM using factory 147 ELD-M ammo and it was an absolute laser.

One of the most enjoyable parts of the day was us having a shoot off with clay pigeons on a short wood stakes at 1000 yards. I was using my 140 AMAX IMR 4451 load. Results were stellar to say the least.

I think you have it backwards. 147 should be less drop even though it's 10 fps slower.

Next barrel I'll use them in my 6.5 Saum. Got a 8.5 twist and am thinking I won't be able to get the BC out of them.

I just bought 2 boxes of the 147s to try next time out. So far I have not been able to get the 140 hybrids to group well out of either of my 6.5 creedmoors so going to try out a different weight.

I think you have it backwards. 147 should be less drop even though it's 10 fps slower.

Next barrel I'll use them in my 6.5 Saum. Got a 8.5 twist and am thinking I won't be able to get the BC out of them.

I appreciate the heads up in case I had error but I double checked my shooting log for the day and what I wrote above was correct

I just bought 2 boxes of the 147s to try next time out. So far I have not been able to get the 140 hybrids to group well out of either of my 6.5 creedmoors so going to try out a different weight.

Have you tried any 140 AMAX in past or new 140 eld?

I appreciate the heads up in case I had error but I double checked my shooting log for the day and what I wrote above was correct

I'm not being snotty, so don't take me wrong, but did you confirm the difference in zero between the two loads??? You're comparing a .67BC with a .6BC/approx for both, but according to your data the Amax comes out like it has the higher BC.

Have you tried any 140 AMAX in past or new 140 eld?

Not yet. This will be only my second bullet tried. I started a thread in the stupid marksmanship questions section titled load development delemma that would explain everything I've gone through trying to get these 140 Hybrids to group well.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

I'm not being snotty, so don't take me wrong, but did you confirm the difference in zero between the two loads??? You're comparing a .67BC with a .6BC/approx for both, but according to your data the Amax comes out like it has the higher BC.

Just ran the numbers on JBM and this is what I got.
140 AMAX
600 3.4 mils
1000 7.8 mils

147 ELD
600 3.2 mils
1000 7.2 mils
1600 16.2 mils.

only thing I can think is that 147 velocity was off.

Last edited:
147 ELDM
2758fps
42.0gr H4350

140 VLD
2850fps
43.0gr H4350

26" 1:8 .260rem

147's shoot better for me than vld's in the 260.

Attachments

• photo67752.jpg
    photo67752.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 144
New guy here. Just tested some 147 ELD-M loads that show a lot of promise.

Here's my setup:

RPR

VORTEX Razor Gen II 4.5-27 EBR MIL

H4350

New Lapua brass

CCI 450 Primers

Seated .020 off the lands

OGIVE 2.244

Lee deluxe dies

Whidden micrometer seater

FL resized with Hornady unique case lube (light coating inside of the necks too)

Brass trimmed with Lee trimmer

RCBS RC press

Results:

41.6 Avg FPS 2649 SD 6 ES 15 MOA .44

41.8 Avg FPS 2655 SD 6.4 ES 16 MOA .83

42.0 Avg FPS 2676 SD 10.9 ES 23 MOA .43

42.2 Avg FPS 2685 SD 6 ES 13 MOA 1.0

42.4 Avg FPS 2696 SD 5.3 ES 13 MOA .42

No pressure signs. This is the best my RPR has ever shot. I think I'm sticking with the 147’s for now.

Attachments

• photo70193.jpg
    photo70193.jpg
    160.7 KB · Views: 211
Anyone have any results from some semi's? Sounds like most of you are running these through your bolts.

New guy here... new to the forum, new to long range bolt, new to reloading rifle. So forgive my ignorance, but I feel that my numbers are different enough for me to ask questions.

I just finished a ladder test with the 147 ELDMs. Hornady rated 40.3gr of H4350 as the safest powder weight and estimated a velocity of 2600fps. I took my ladder test up to 42.0gr and saw 2700fps but 42gr seemed high to me. I was starting to see that the primers were starting to extrude out around my firing pin. Are you guys really taking it up to 43.2? How do you know that's safe and not hard on your equipment?

Say I completely ignore what I read on the forums and only worry about my own findings from my ladder test. I'm getting the following numbers for my best load. My curiosity is whether or not I will see a huge difference in momentum at 1500yd between 1.5gr of powder that my rifle likes vs what you guys load?

H-147gr ELD-M
H4350 - 40.8gr
AVG - 2609fps
ES - 7
SD - 3
Jump: .040 off lands
Group: 0.5in

TL;DR ----- Is it worth pushing my ladder test up another 1.5gr or so to see if there is a benefit in my rifle?

Are you getting any ejector swipe on your brass ? You need to look very closely in several light conditions to make sure you're not overlooking it

With those primer signs just know it may be a little harder on the brass and may expand the primer pocket more and you might not get as many reloads on them

I am runnng 42.7 grains of IMR 4451 going about 2858fps and getting some hot signs but I'm ok with it since I'm more focused on really stretching the distance

Reactions: dwamsley

No, in fact I did NOT. I will reevaluate and recollect dope for the 140 AMAX then re zero and shoot 147 eld.

Hopefully this will be completed 2 weeks from today and I'll report back. I have a setup now to record through my Sig kilo 2000 and Leupold Mark 4 mil reticle spotter so maybe I can get some footage as well.

I recently purchased a Savage 12 LRP 6.5 Creedmoor. I purchased 200 rounds of Hornady 140 grain ELD Match factory ammunition. I shot about 160 rounds over a couple of trips to the range, the rifle and the ammunition are better than I am. I purchased an additional 200 rounds of 147 grain ELD Match factory ammunition and headed back out. I shot about 40 rounds of the 140 grain ammunition without issue. I changed over to the 147 grain ammunition and the very first round hit the target sideways about 10 inches low and to the left at 100 meters. Out of the next 39 rounds, one missed the target completely, and I had two more hit sideways. I have a BullsEye Target Cam and I have shot by shot pictures of this session. I called Hornady, and at their request I and sent all the remaining ammo and spent brass back to them. (Hornady has been jacking me around and after two months, they still haven't sent me my replacement ammunition)

I shot the remainder of the 140 grain ELD Match factory ammunition and about 150 rounds of 140 grain ELD Match 40 grains of IMR 4350 reloads without issue.

Has anyone had any issue with the 147 Grain ELD Match bullets or factory ammunition.

Thank you

John

Has anyone had any issue with the 147 Grain ELD Match bullets or factory ammunition.
One of our guys is shooting the 147 ELDM Factory loaded pretty much exclusively in his rifle. It shoots into one hole at 100 yards and holds vertical incredibly well at 500 yards. His rifle my be an outlier or the barrel was sprinkled with pixie-dust as he is getting 2850fps out of a 25-26" barrel w/ 1-8 left twist. We tested this rifle with a single box of ammo, liked the results and have shot 2 cases since, with 3 more cases in reserve. This is all from the same lot number, though I have been told the their ammo does not vary much from lot to lot. Take this for what it is, a sample of one. Either way; this ammo / bullet is very capable in the right chamber / barrel. I do think it may need to hit that velocity sweet-spot to shine.

I recently purchased a Savage 12 LRP 6.5 Creedmoor. I purchased 200 rounds of Hornady 140 grain ELD Match factory ammunition. I shot about 160 rounds over a couple of trips to the range, the rifle and the ammunition are better than I am. I purchased an additional 200 rounds of 147 grain ELD Match factory ammunition and headed back out. I shot about 40 rounds of the 140 grain ammunition without issue. I changed over to the 147 grain ammunition and the very first round hit the target sideways about 10 inches low and to the left at 100 meters. Out of the next 39 rounds, one missed the target completely, and I had two more hit sideways. I have a BullsEye Target Cam and I have shot by shot pictures of this session. I called Hornady, and at their request I and sent all the remaining ammo and spent brass back to them. (Hornady has been jacking me around and after two months, they still haven't sent me my replacement ammunition)

I shot the remainder of the 140 grain ELD Match factory ammunition and about 150 rounds of 140 grain ELD Match 40 grains of IMR 4350 reloads without issue.

Thank you

John

Never an issue with the bullets. Not sure what is happening with yours but something doesn't sound right as in an 8 twist that should not be going sideways.

Thank you

John

Interesting that this appears to be your first post, as its mine as well. I was looking to see if anyone had any issues with the 147 as well.

Mine is a new, Savage ba stealth. We put the first 20 rounds through it, zeroing and messing around, didn't pay that much attention to any accuracy. For that I used Hornady 129 grain SST.

The next 20 rounds were 140 grain ELD Match. One odd shot at 4" out, but the rest were all within an inch at 100 yards, many of which were 1/2".

The 3rd box, was the 147 grain ELD Match. At 100 yards, all I could get, was about a 5" group, 4" low.

I came on here, to see what kind of comments I could find about the 147gr, and almost everything I'm seeing says it should be an awesome round! I haven't tried to do any precise shooting for the last 35 years or so, and I know I need a lot of practice, but seeing the results/difference from the 140gr to the 147gr, certainly had me scratching my head. I despise my bipod, so I have a new one coming, hopefully I'll be able to get comfortable shooting this thing. I plan to shoot a lot of 140gr before I try the 147 again!

Thank you

John

The problem is not with the ammo. The problem is with your rifle. I seriously doubt your barrel is truly the exact twist that it's advertised as. It might say 1-8, but it probably is 1-8.5 or something like that where it will stabilize 140s but not 147s.

Not sure why you think this is Hornady's responsibility.

Overall, I actually got a better group from the 147 ELDM than the 140 ELDM . I found it a little odd that that 4 rounds not only went astray but hit the paper sideways and the others held a such a tight group. If they had all gone wild, I would buy the fact that my rifle wouldn't stabilize the 147 and move on.

I don't necessarily think that its Hornadys responsibility. When this happened, I called Hornady and asked a question, they wanted the ammunition back, all of it. 160 rounds plus the empty brass. That was about $250.00 worth of ammunition, I sent it to them at my expense. They had it for over two months, I wanted it back (or replaced) and I wasn't getting any response.

As luck would have it, I heard from Hornady today, they suggested that they replace the 147 with 140 and they are going to send me a box of 147 ELD Match bullets to hand load and asked if I would keep track of what I loaded and how it shot.

I shot the 147 eld-m all summer in myBarrett MRAD w/ a 260 rem. barrel. Barrel was the 24" fluted flavor. I had instant accuracy right out of the gate. I shot/broke in the barrel with 20 rounds of GMM in 142 SMK bullets, they did ok. I then purchased 200 cases of Lapua brass. I ended up with 42.6 gn. of RL17 w/GMM primers at a velocity of 2880. It shot into one hole and I was really impressed. I loaded to mag length for the MRAD. The 147 is one of the best bullets on the market if your barrel can spin it up fast enough to stabilize it affectively.

I had my barrel throated for the 140 eld-m 1-8 24” Brux and they shoot fine. Under 3/4 moa is all I asked and it was easy enough. Decided to try the 147s and they touch the lands when I close the bolt on my deviant and 1/2 moa has become the norm with factory ammo. Im sticking with these. When I eject loaded rounds there is slight markings on the bullet with the 147s but they shoot lights out for me. And how often do you eject a loaded round anyway?

Last edited:
One of our guys is shooting the 147 ELDM Factory loaded pretty much exclusively in his rifle. It shoots into one hole at 100 yards and holds vertical incredibly well at 500 yards. His rifle my be an outlier or the barrel was sprinkled with pixie-dust as he is getting 2850fps out of a 25-26" barrel w/ 1-8 left twist. We tested this rifle with a single box of ammo, liked the results and have shot 2 cases since, with 3 more cases in reserve. This is all from the same lot number, though I have been told the their ammo does not vary much from lot to lot. Take this for what it is, a sample of one. Either way; this ammo / bullet is very capable in the right chamber / barrel. I do think it may need to hit that velocity sweet-spot to shine.

do you know what his velocity was with factory 140 amax and factory 140 eld? just trying to see if they load the 147's a little hotter to at least get them the same speed as the 140's. open for anyone else's data as well.

Brand new Howa HCR 24” barrel factory 140 eldm chrono at 2660, factory 147 eldm chrono at 2616.

Are you getting any ejector swipe on your brass ? You need to look very closely in several light conditions to make sure you're not overlooking it

With those primer signs just know it may be a little harder on the brass and may expand the primer pocket more and you might not get as many reloads on them

I am runnng 42.7 grains of IMR 4451 going about 2858fps and getting some hot signs but I'm ok with it since I'm more focused on really stretching the distance

The primer with the brown line is only 39.3gr. The primer with the black dot is 41.4gr.

Attachments

• received_10159597960945235.jpeg
    received_10159597960945235.jpeg
    52.8 KB · Views: 207
  • received_10159597997090235.jpeg
    received_10159597997090235.jpeg
    43.1 KB · Views: 187
The primer with the brown line is only 39.3gr. The primer with the black dot is 41.4gr.

I'll let others weigh in as well but it looks like you have some ejector swipe going on in between

pic1 "r and A"
Pic 2 "6 and L"

Last edited:
do you know what his velocity was with factory 140 amax and factory 140 eld? just trying to see if they load the 147's a little hotter to at least get them the same speed as the 140's. open for anyone else's data as well.

The velocity for the 140's was 2900. It was running Prime at 2990.

i haven't tried them, anyone know where i can buy some or have some for sale;

if you're referring to hornady 140/147eld loaded ammo, first check ammoseek. but brownells has one of the best prices currently and free shipping codes, and yesterday they also had 10% off and i bought two cases of the 147's to try, @$1.06/round, shipped.

I run 140 Amax's at 3025 and 3200fps in my two different 30" swede & ackley improved builds.
You guys got me convinced to try out the 147.

my 3025fps rig shoots consistent .3-.4MOA groups so likely wont be touching that, but my 3200fps 6.5x55AI can't seem to group better than 0.4-0.5MOA from 2950-3200 w/ Amax's, while in fire forming at like 2500 it shoots 0.1-0.2.

Looking forward to seeing what 147gr ELD-M's can do in the 3050-3100 range once I work up to it. It may be splitting hairs in this accuracy range, but at 1500 yards I only like to consider the wind and not the MOA spread. 147 should help with the wind as well, which is the main draw for me.

Well I finally broke down and bought a gazillion (okay, 2K) of the 147's. Did some initial OCW load development last Saturday. Group 1 looked promising with a 0.262 MOA group at 200 yards. I stretched it's legs out on Sunday out to 1K. Wind performance was good, but elevation performance was seriously lacking. It took 8.1 MILS to reach 1K. Not very impressed with that performance. I'm going to try to find the next highest node and see if it gets any better.

147 ELD-M OCW 200Y 12-30-17.jpg

Attachments

• 147 ELD-M OCW 200Y 12-30-17.jpg
    147 ELD-M OCW 200Y 12-30-17.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 183
My trued bc is about. 335 g7 for the 147 inside 1000. Seems to be a,little less at longer range. They seem to shoot best at 2700-2750. I can't find a higher node in the creedmoor without hitting pressure with varget or h4350. Maybe rl16 or 26, I've just never tried it.

Was out today testing the Hornady 6.5 Creedmoor 147 ELD factory load today in the 28 degree sunny NC day. Shot it to 650 yards and it was all under 1/2MOA at 450, 550 and 650. Below is 5 at 650 yards. I shot the three on the bottom and was seeing no new splash so I held a little higher and shot the next two. Using the dollar it looks like about a 2.5" group. Can't complain about that with factory ammo. Velocity was about 2720fps from the lot I have in my 27" barrel. My handload with H4350 is at 2820fps and shoots similar.

1DF6yoJ.jpg

I just tried the factory Hornady 6.5 Creedmoor 147 grain ELD Match ammo today at the range. First time as I have always used the 130 grain Prime and it has worked really great.

I was really surprised at how well the Hornady shot through my AI AT. 10 shot groups out to 300 yards were measuring around 0.6 MOA. Change in DOPE was 0.1 mil from the PRIME.

Very happy since it is also $3 per box cheaper

Last edited:
Brought the 147gr ELD bullets with several recipes to the range today. Was happy and impressed to see a 0.285MOA group at 3100fps out of my 6.5x55AI. Now for some longer work.

Attachments

• 147 .286 51gr.jpg
    147 .286 51gr.jpg
    203 KB · Views: 124
  • 20180120_100601.jpg
    20180120_100601.jpg
    269 KB · Views: 90
  • 20180120_100759.jpg
    20180120_100759.jpg
    342.6 KB · Views: 88
  • 20180120_124634.jpg
    20180120_124634.jpg
    400.9 KB · Views: 104
Reactions: Juggerxxx
I finally got a load settled down at a higher node, works out to 2804 fps, it shot just a touch over 0.3 MOA at 200 yards. Took it to our February match, it shot lights out all day long, good enough for a Top 5 finish. I think I'll keep 'em.

So what’s the general consensus now on 140 Eldm vs 147 eldm?

I don’t reload so I will strictly be using factory ammo. 26 inch 6.5 creedmoor barrels.

Shooting 1200 and in. I was leaning toward 147 to buck wind better, but will the 140 hold its own with 147?

Obviously I wil try both in the guns and see which provides greater results, but I don’t have either of the guns yet and was just curious as to other people’s findings in reference to the two factory ammos.

Thanks.

Was out today testing the Hornady 6.5 Creedmoor 147 ELD factory load today in the 28 degree sunny NC day. Shot it to 650 yards and it was all under 1/2MOA at 450, 550 and 650. Below is 5 at 650 yards. I shot the three on the bottom and was seeing no new splash so I held a little higher and shot the next two. Using the dollar it looks like about a 2.5" group. Can't complain about that with factory ammo. Velocity was about 2720fps from the lot I have in my 27" barrel. My handload with H4350 is at 2820fps and shoots similar.

1DF6yoJ.jpg
Every time you guys post awesome groups like that you greatly reduce my chances of finding H4350 in stock. ?

Every time you guys post awesome groups like that you greatly reduce my chances of finding H4350 in stock. ?

Actually should be the opposite as that is factory ammo so if people by factory ammo then more H4350 for you to load ;)

Reactions: todd
I have been very pleased with the 147s thus far. I am shooting them in my factory 20 inch barreled Tikka 260 and getting great accuracy.
Lapua Brass
44 grains H4350
Seated at 2.879
2734 FPS with an SD of 4

Reactions: harry_x1
Working on my loads.
I have only worked up to 40.5 and speed is only 2575.
All 0.75 MOA though. Not best but Ok for me since I am new.
Sounds like I should work up my load? I wanted to do fast since I saw a RPR result here with 42.4. H4350 and 0.4 MOA, but another guy has presure sign at 41.4 grain... so much contradcting info.
Any suggestion? Should I skip to 42, 42.2, 42.4 etc . Or work all the way up?

Last edited:
I found a node at 41.5gr of H4350 with Lapua brass OAL set at 2.865. It is running just over 2700 in my 24” Howa and shoots amazingly well. I would recommend you work up from where you are at you don’t know what your barrel will handle. And remember accuracy trumps speed. FWIW you wrote you are new use the load testing to work on fundamentals.

I should do that, but may be still skip to at least 41 first?

I found a node at 41.5gr of H4350 with Lapua brass OAL set at 2.865. It is running just over 2700 in my 24” Howa and shoots amazingly well. I would recommend you work up from where you are at you don’t know what your barrel will handle. And remember accuracy trumps speed. FWIW you wrote you are new use the load testing to work on fundamentals.

Thats pretty good for factory ammo

View attachment 6903819

Can you comment on the time intervals for these numbers? My eight shots of the same ammo yielded a SD of 21.4; shot them one right after the other. First shot was the cold bore and I was shooting with a can.

Shot 1 2737 (cold bore)
Shot 2 2766
Shot 3 2755
Shot 4 2785
Shot 5 2761
Shot 6 2805
Shot 7 2761
Shot 8 2787

Yields avg of 2769 and SD of 21.4

24" barrel
75 degrees
29.27 station pressure