• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Anyone try 210 SMKs in 300 WM?

mdmp5

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • May 7, 2009
    I am currently shooting 190s out of my R700P, with decent results. Best group so far was 4 shots measuring .375 MOA at 200 yds. I wanted to go a bit heavier for the distance, and the 210 SMK looks interesting, but damn expensive. Anyone with any experience with 210s?

Re: Anyone try 210 SMKs in 300 WM?

If you don't like the price try the 208gr A-max. Better BC and cheaper.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Falar</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you don't like the price try the 208gr A-max. Better BC and cheaper.</div></div>

Bingo!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Falar</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you don't like the price try the 208gr A-max. Better BC and cheaper. </div></div>

+1

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Falar</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you don't like the price try the 208gr A-max. Better BC and cheaper.</div></div>

Better BC? wasn't aware of that. Sierra Manual doesn't list BC, and doesn't have the 210 in there. You guys know where to find Sierra BC?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: palmik</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Falar</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you don't like the price try the 208gr A-max. Better BC and cheaper.</div></div>

Better BC? wasn't aware of that. Sierra Manual doesn't list BC, and doesn't have the 210 in there. You guys know where to find Sierra BC? </div></div>

Sierra and Hornady list G1 BCs on their website.

That being said, G7 BC is a more accurate measurement and Brian Litz has measured many bullets including these and published their G7 BCs. The 208gr A-Max was the winner in the 210gr category with the Berger very close behind but much more expensive than both the SMK or A-max.

I tried the 208's amax's in my AI but could not get them to shoot and found out they are kind of finicky. I tried them in the lands,just
    off the lands and way way of the lands to no avail. Sold them to a friend and he could not get them to shoot either. The only reason I tried them was because of there price having all ready been shooting the 210's just trying
    to save a little dough. Big mistake you get what you pay for. Buy them
    in the boxes of 500 that will save you some cash over the 50 count boxes.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: johndoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I tried the 208's amax's in my AI but could not get them to shoot and found out they are kind of finicky. I tried them in the lands,just
    off the lands and way way of the lands to no avail. Sold them to a friend and he could not get them to shoot either. The only reason I tried them was because of there price having all ready been shooting the 210's just trying
    to save a little dough. Big mistake you get what you pay for. Buy them
    in the boxes of 500 that will save you some cash over the 50 count boxes. </div></div>

Plenty of people other than you have had great results with A-max bullets so it isn't a case of paying more for better quality. With the A-max it is all about getting more for your money.

johndoe-

Every Amax I've ever shot (and there aren't many I haven't tried between 22 and 30 cal) does fantastic at 0.010-0.015" from the lands.

I had miserable results jamming them and jumping them more than 25 thou. The least finicky bullet match bullet that I've worked with is the Amax's, and as I said, I've shot

52's and 75's in 22cal, 105's in 6mm, 120, 123, 140 in 6.5mm, 162's in 7mm, 155, 178, 208's in 30 cal.

If you feel up to trying a few of them again, load the 208's 10-15 (no more) thou off the lands and see what you get. That point shoots very well in 3 different rifles of mine.

During the time I was trying every trick in the book
    to get them to shoot I researched other forums and
    the problems people were having,seems like the general
    consensus was the length of the bullet. Seems if I recall correctly
    it was about 1/8 inch longer than the 210 smk which is allready
    a long bullet.

Trying to save money I got bit as did the friend of mine who
    bought the rest of the lot of 500 who could not get them to shoot.

I am sure you could buy more silver then gold for the same amount
    of money but then it would just not be the same would it?

The Sierra 210 SMK is an excellent bullet, and I have had great results with it. The Sierra lists its BC as .645. The Hornady A-Max is also an excellent bullet. Its BC is listed as .648. I use both bullets over the same powder charge at 2,850 fps. The exterior ballistic data is interchangeable to 1K yards, and both bullets group sub-moa easily. The 210 SMK likes 0.070" jump in my rifle and the 208 A-Max likes 0.045".

At half the price I buy 208 A-Max's... easy decision.

Chops

Tried the 210 SMK before settle on the 208 AMAX. Better accuracy and cheaper, what's not to like about it.

Nothing not to like unless they don't shoot
    on your particular rifle. What you save in
    bullets will pay for the powder.

+1 for the amax, I was die hard Sierra, but price was my biggest contributing factor to try the hype and have been pleasantly surprised.

I took 2nd place at a 1000yd prone match this past sunday shooting 7mm 162gr A-Max's. Ive heard it from other people also, that they cant get them to shoot good in their gun, I think they are doing something wrong.