• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Anyone turkey/duck hunting with Benelli SBE II or new Browing A5?

EasternNChunter

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 28, 2012
Eastern NC
I am trying to decide on my next turkey/duck shotgun and would like to hear from guys who have used one or both of these. I don't duck hunt as much as I used to (2-3 days) so this will get the most use in the turkey woods.

Personally, I don't think that there is a better duck hunting weapon than a SBE2. I don't turkey hunt a lot (probably your situation reversed) but it works great for that as well. Patterning 3.5" 2.25oz turkey loads is no fun because they kick like a mofo but they will wollop a turkey. A couple of weeks ago I was duck hunting while it was 2degF and I had some issues with my gun cycling. The first round would fire and the second shell would load but the bolt wouldn't go fully into battery so I basically had a single shot. This was most likely due to cleanliness/lubrication (or lack thereof), which I attribute solely to myself. Having said that, not another single autoloader in the blind that morning was working as designed. These other autoloaders included other Benellis, Berettas and Brownings...7 total. Luckily I don't hunt in those conditions very often down here so I won't have to worry about that very much.

I played with a 3.5" A5 for the first time at the SHOT show last week and it felt pretty good, FWIW. Not planning on dumping my Benellis for Brownings any time soon though.

I have had a SBEII and absolutely love it. I have killed ducks and turkeys with it. 3.5" turkey shells are a little rough but managable. I will be hunting turkeys in a few states this year and it will be my go to.

I own Brownings, Berettas and have had several Benellis and I will tell you when all other guns have jammed, hung up, froze up my SBEII has never failed me. I did have ejection problems with the first SBEI ejecting low brass shells, but have never had that problem with the SBEII. They are the single best Autoloader available on the market today. I have even hunted with the Vinci and really liked it, I just can't get over the looks!
I love walking into the dove field with my camo SBII while everyone else is toteing some $5000 over under or side by side, and walking out with twice as many doves. It uses a pattern master choke for turkey hunting and it hold a very good pattern and absolutely hammers turkeys.
They field strip very easily for cleaning, but honestly I usually just deep clean mine once a season unless I dunk it in muddy water.
Get the Benelli!

Love my SBE II. Just spent a long weekend in Arkansas with it. Shot everything from 1oz 8 shot for quail (cycled just fine) to big 3.5 bb for geese.

I had a Beretta Xtrema II and replaced it with an SBE II before turkey season last year and the only regret I have is not doing it sooner. The SBE II patterns great and shoots excellent with nitro turkey loads and an Indian Creek choke.

I bought an SBE I it was one of the first 50 ever made, I then bought the SBE II when it came out. I have hunted waterfowl all over the US, Mexico and Canada with these guns for over 20 years and many thousands of rounds (in the early days that meant 3 1/2" 12 ga) they have performed flawlessly. I have a also killed turkeys and hundreds of called in coyotes over the years as well as doves/quail/pheasant in Mexico, you will love this gun.

Can't beat the SBEII as others have said. I have duck hunted with one for ten years now and had my first malfunction. It was due to never breaking open the recoil spring to clean it. I had tried and tried to break it open but always feared I would damage it. Once I had a malfunction, I tried a little harder and figured I would get a sure cycle replacement if I screwed something up. I may get the replacement anyway as I only shoot heavier loads. If you hunt in cold environments just use a good lube that won't freeze or gum up and you won't have any problems. If you have to finger bang/play with every thing you hold, like I do, the action will sometimes not go all the way into battery if it is very lightly let forward.

I've shot both and I prefer the sbeII with that said I duck hunt a lot and I ended up with a sx3. We hunted a few mornings in a row with temps below zero it hadn't been cleaned all year and it still cycled fine. Just get your hands on all of them and figure out witch one you like best. I use kicks high flier chokes in full and mod they are worth the extra cash IMO.

My SB1 is now 14 years old....14 seasons of 30 or more duck hunting days, thousands of ducks and some turkey hunting on the side and I can count the number of times it jammed on one hand.

You simply cannot buy nor build a better hunting shotgun than a Benelli.

Another fan of the SBEII. Lots and lots of ducks and several turkey. I have not had a Browning but have owned a lot of Rem1100s and some Benelli duty shotties and the SBE is , by far, my favorite.

I have super black eagle 11 and love it. Shoots small brass to 3.5 well. It's a very versatile shotgun. Easy to clean as well.

SBEII IMHO is the best so far....with the new A5 3,1/2" a far second......

Bought the 3.5" A5 and very happy with the gun. I already have a Benelli M1 Super 90 (2 3/4" - 3") and I never shot it that well. I don't naturally get down on the stock enough and tend to shoot over ducks and doves. The A5's have always shouldered well and fit me better. I bought another Pure Gold turkey choke for it and it patterns very well at 40 yards with Hevi-13 #6's. Plus I saved $250 over the SBE II.

I use a Benelli with a pistol grip for turkey. Sitting locked up behind a turkey gun in the spring for an hour or more the pistol grip will put your hand and arm in a more comfortable, ready position. Won't be much for ducks though, so you'll need to buy two.

Shotguns are all about fitment. Shoulder everything you can or get the system you like and modify it to fit.

sbe II. xtrema. Both great waterfowlers. I also have winchester sx3 and it's a great gun for a lot less money. The most important thing is fit. use the shim kits to fit the stock/comb. it sounds stupid, but the idea is to get the gun to point where your eyes are looking. ever see skeet pros and their funky stocks on their O/U's? fit is key. back to the question; if you can find an older xtrema or sbe... those guns can float a 4th shell in the receiver with a plug in.... just sayin

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Forum Fiend v1.1.7.