• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Anyone use a Ghillie for hunting - did it work?

D Day Dog

Private
Minuteman
Jul 5, 2011
Am considering buying a suit for hunting. Anyone use one in Alaska with any benefit? If so, where did you buy it...?

Tnx.

Dog

Re: Anyone use a Ghillie for hunting - did it work?

a) post would be better suited for the hunting section

b) good eye-sight is something mainly carnivores have. herbivore tend to have less of a good eye-sight but then are very good at noticing movement. not sure how much a ghillie will help there when you don't manage to sneak at the right moments.

c) wind/scent are tons more important. if i sit in the wrong place, my scent is carried towards the animals and one can notice that they become shy and 'eye' alot more. by moving and bringing the animals between me and the wind, you will get alot closer.

d) maybe talk to the bow-hunters? they really need to get close and can't folllow the 'i can easily hit the vitals from >200 yards/meters away' approach.

for me, i have more fun when i manage to get as close as possible to the animal. and for real 'hunting', i learned more by figuring out why the animal suddenly ran when i was close to 50 meters (was it the twig that snapped?, wind carrying my scent?, banged that stone with the stock a bit too loud?), than walking up to about 200 and then placing a shot.

Unless you're hunting on private property, its a great way to get shot by another hunter. Not to state the obvious, but i'd be pretty careful using one anywhere near other hunters, particularly those that you don't know.

not in alaska, but elsewhere. yes to using one, yes to being successful.

as mentioned / touched on above:

1. no to using one where use of flouresant orange laws are in use.

2. scent / movement is more important

3. for bow hunting - sometimes those ghillie strips get caught in the path of the string during release and or draw.

4. post is better suited (excuse the pun) for the hunting section.

5. it's usually better to make your own (custom fit and designed for your own application) than buying one.

I am not sure what type of hunting you will be doing in AK, but there is really no need to use a ghillie.
Most of the hunting is mountain type terrain where you will spot and stalk. Good binos and a spotting scope are very useful here, and will save you countless hours of pain and suffering in the alders.
A ghillie would be a waste of time/money and would slow you down. Camo is not as important in this type of envirnoment as hunting the wind, and using the terrain to get into shooting position. Any good hunter can usually get within 100-250 or so yards pretty easily even on the open tundra so earth tone or camo clothing is all you will ever need.

If you post up some spacific AK hunting questions in the Hunting/fishing area there are quite a few of us here on the board that are either stationed in AK or are long time residents. I am sure you will get lots of info from experienced guys. AK hunting is a very broad topic, with lots of HARD learned tricks that can really help a new comer.

My first season of deer hunting here on Kodiak was quite a kick in the nuts to say the least, and as far as Alaska hunting goes that is pretty tame. It is a different world than most lower 48 hunting, and info from the old guys is very valuable here, trust me. Ask lots of questions and you will help yourself more than you could ever imagine.

tried it a few times for bowhunting and found it probably not worth the bother as scent and movement are more critical with undulates. did however find a 3d leaf type suit very effective for turkey season...turkeys see good yall.

Ghillie suit is too bulkier and has too much to get tangled up in for hunting animals.

If your using one to brake up your outline, on the ground, they work great, that is, if you also pay attention to scent and movement. I've been Bow Hunting on the ground, in mine, that I made in the Army, and I've had deer get within 10 feet, and just stare at me. The whole time, never figuring out what I was.

First of all, I have never done it but I have considered it. In the lower part of michigan's LP you have to use a shotgun for deer hunting. I think it would make a little more sense to use one where most will be 150 yards or less. I can't see how it would work for bowhunting. I think the suit would be in the way. In the end I couldn't justify making one for my shotgun hunting. Just my opinion.

i've got a multicam ROID hood, light weight, easy to roll up and put in your pack, great for coyote, deer, elk, antelope, bobcat!!!

d day looks like guys are not keen on wearing one but your question is are they effective and or any benefits. the fact that they are still in use today means yes they are very effective at breaking up the human outline. they are mainly good for yote type hunting where you are stationary. so the answer is if you are using tree stand or mainly sitting and waiting they work wonders. if you are walking the woods they are usually too bulky so it depends on you.

as stated before scent control and movement are the biggest keys to most hunting, you can get a good set of multicam or sitka pattern and be very effective with scent control and movement and be more comfortable if moving around.

Problem for most of us is the dayglo orange regs during rifle season.

Well that and the ability to standoff 4 to 500 yards makes elaborate cammy a bit unneeded.

Short ranged weapons or very tight cover might benefit. Stalking in very low population wilderness, (I don't trust most hunters to NOT shoot that noisy bush), could work.

I hunt from a mobile blind and don't freak if I have to take that long shot. (though knowing the animal traffic patterns keeps the shots under 500 yards)

I personaly found the suits encumbering.

We don't have regs. requiring use of any orange vest or the like. I also hunt in an area where you would very lkely NOT bump nto another hunter at all. That beng said, I usualy hang an orange vest in a tree or bushe above me. I'd use it for stationary hunting on either moose or caribou. I know they are cumbersome, but since I'm not moving around a lot and like to have my game, especially caribou, move in close before I take a shot, I have always wondered if they could be effective. Thanks for the imput people.

Dog

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sosicmcise</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Unless you're hunting on private property, its a great way to get shot by another hunter. Not to state the obvious, but i'd be pretty careful using one anywhere near other hunters, particularly those that you don't know.

</div></div>

LMAO That was exactly what I thought too.

However, if done properly you might have great success. Personally I'd go with a blind for hunting stuff that doesn't shoot back.

I have used them for deer hunting when I lived in Virginia. I did not find it was any better than typical camo clothes. I do have the 3-d leaf clothes that worked great.

Out here in the west, they were more of a hastle than benefit. Too much ground to cover, more long range glassing and stalking. I now use a set of ACUs in digital camo for desert work.

The main difference I've noticed between hunting specific clothing and military style clothing (cammies, gortex, etc...) is that clothing made for the sole purpose of hunting is usually much softer and quieter. Military style clothing is usually made to be more durable and rugged, sometimes the clothing can be a bit loud.

My point here is that if you are going to buy any clothing for hunting get clothing made for that purpose. Some good Scent Lock cammies would probably do you better than a ghilie.

Remember that most ghilies are constructed using materials like burlap or jute and Shoe Goo, which can give off very distinct smells that are not natural in the woods, it may take a while to get those smells out of your suit.

<span style="font-family: 'Comic Sans MS'">
I used a ghillie for spring turkey successfully. But it was a PIA. I switched to a 3D leaf pattern suit. Much easier. It's light weight and I can wear it over varying layers. I don't use either for deer, antelope, etc.

Bob
</span>

One thing is for sure, there is more useless gimiky junk for sale geared towards hunting. Truth be told here in Alaska most of the gucciflage leaf camo scent block stuff that is geared to tree stand sitting for whitetails will serve no purpose here. Yes scent block works when you have animals coming from all directions, but when you can travel with the wind in your face it makes no difference, you will likely be sweating your ass off covering terrain and your down wind won't matter a lick, may even keep a bear off your ass.

You need good quality rain gear/gor tex or your shell of choice, layers that can be shed if needed, or removed wrung out and replaced if necessary. Synthetic insulating layers like capaline are great, and military layering systems work great as well. remember it rains a lot here, so your clothing needs to keep you warm even if wet. Thorlow socks or smartwool and good boots can also save a hunt.

As for camo, anything you have for a shell is great OD, mil camo, brown its all good. Hunt the wind, and use the terrain. For caribou if you are on known travel routes you can easily set up a ground blind and shoot them as they pass. easy hunting there.

Plan for the worse, and don't buy gear that is designed for turkey hunting, or tree stand sitting down south.
I would think a soaking wet ghillie would be nice to have to deal with in addition to 100lbs of boned out meat, your gear, a cape and horns which will all come out on your back.

check out the videos from sierra645 on youtube. not alaska, but i'd say comparable climate. brief overview of stuff you need. and nothing more.

we usually wear lots of felt based clothes (mainly greenish). warm and very quiet (notably more quiet than some of the more enduring military stuff).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HillbillyfromAL</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sosicmcise</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Unless you're hunting on private property, its a great way to get shot by another hunter. Not to state the obvious, but i'd be pretty careful using one anywhere near other hunters, particularly those that you don't know.

</div></div>

LMAO That was exactly what I thought too.

However, if done properly you might have great success. Personally I'd go with a blind for hunting stuff that doesn't shoot back. </div></div>

your avatar totally fucked up my thinking processes.....all i can say is WOW !!!!!

Yes and with proper scent control they are deadly I have had deer walk past upwind at 20 feet and I was standing in the poem motionless on my way into my stand. They are the best camo available. For bow trim the jute where it could get in the way of your draw

Hello
Well I use a light wieght one for turkey, and coyote, fox etc. I even used it while hunting ground hogs (wood chucks). Worked great... Next year trying it out on bear.

Never thought of this, how fun. I finally have a real world reason to make a ghillie suit. haha

I have used one 'Yote hunting before, but full ghillies get awfully hot if its not a cool time of year. I want to wear one deer hunting sometime with a blaze orange hat just to see how warm it keeps me. lol

I would spend my money on a good set of scent-lok cammo and call it good. If you can hold still you will be golden. I have been close enough to touch deer and elk with my scent-lok's on.

I think I'll give one a try. I don't have a lot of the same type of problems you guys have in the lower 48. Rain - yes. Other hunters (where I hunt) - no. Heavy gear - yes, but you gotta hump your gear and fortunately for me I don't have to go that far.

I use one all the time for ground bow hunting whitetails and have worn them in a tree on several occasions it worked well for me.

Use it all the time for hunting yotes and turkeys

Just my 2 cents

Come on guys, we all know that real men wait in a tree and hunt elk with a spear.

Everytime I think I need new cammo of some sort I remember the african hunting shows where the african guide is wearing a bright red Nike T-shirt sneaking up on the prey.

Motion and scent are the most critical.

Weren't ghillie suits originally developed by the game wardens to not be seen by poachers in english estates?

I've guided a few hunters in AK on a bow Bou hunt.
THey were successful. I'd say if Bou bow hunting it's great!