• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Anyone use a Redding T7 turret press so they don't have to keep changing dies?

TheGerman

Oberleutnant
Minuteman
  • Jan 25, 2010
    the Westside
    Right now I have 2x RCBS Rockchuckers next to each other as well as my Dillion 650. The Dillon is specific to 3 things; case prep on certain calibers and then all of my non Mk12 rifle 5.56 loading and all of my 45ACP loading.

The 2x RCBS single stages do anything else; I'm just tired of when i switch calibers I have to do the whole trial/error setup of certain dies because the dies I have perfectly set up for the previous caliber now have to come out. Then when I want to load another caliber, its the same thing again getting everything perfect.

Saw the Redding turret and thought this would be perfect to leave certain dies in, mark them as to what they are set at (shoulder bump, etc) and basically just rotate the press to the needed die. No setup, no trial and error, no bullshit.

Anyone do this?

I had a Redding T7 and sold it shortly after purchase. Maybe I had a lemon, but it flexed too much. I tried to solve that problem by shoving feeler gauges on the opposite side after rotating, but it still did it more than I liked. In my opinion it needs a manual screw down lock type system instead of the detent ball. Whatever mechanism is setup in there allows for it to bend backwards away from the ram.

For what it is worth, once I got a new single stage, my group sizes went from 2 MOA to sub 0.5 MOA.

Well thats not good to hear. But curious if this is normal or you had one that they made at 459 on a Friday.

I love my T7. I think when they first came out, some had a few problems. Not having to change dies etc makes everything easy.

I've used a Redding T-7 for several years and been extremely satisfied. I don't leave my dies in the head because of humidity but certainly see the advantages of doing so. I do have locations marked on the turret for my dies so I can install them in the same location and as far as the quality of my ammunition, my rifles all shoot .5 MOA or better with SDs between 2.5 and 8.6.

The Redding T-7 is everything I need a press to be.

I couldn't imagine using any other press. 2 different cal dies and a universal deprimer die. I leave them in there bc my reloading room is temp controlled and insulated. I had blue prints on my reloading room finished before I had the rest of the house finished. Lol.

I don't need to worry about temperature and humidity as my reloading room is the other side of my office at home. For everyone else that has the Redding, did anyone notice the issue KZP mentioned earlier?

I don't need to worry about temperature and humidity as my reloading room is the other side of my office at home. For everyone else that has the Redding, did anyone notice the issue KZP mentioned earlier?

Nope, have two, one on each end of the bench just for the convenience reason your considering, no problems. I even have two additional turrets with dies ready to roll

Have a T7, myself. I think its awesome. Also leaving dies in like your saying, or asking. Is a plus. No complaints from my end about T7.

Have a T7 as well with 3 turrets used for multiple calibers. Mine does not flex and changing turrets out yields consistently repeatable results across all calibers.

Press is capable of manufacturing sub 0.5 MOA ammunition on a regular basis. No complaints here. Use with confidence!

Right now I have 2x RCBS Rockchuckers next to each other as well as my Dillion 650. The Dillon is specific to 3 things; case prep on certain calibers and then all of my non Mk12 rifle 5.56 loading and all of my 45ACP loading.

The 2x RCBS single stages do anything else; I'm just tired of when i switch calibers I have to do the whole trial/error setup of certain dies because the dies I have perfectly set up for the previous caliber now have to come out. Then when I want to load another caliber, its the same thing again getting everything perfect.

Saw the Redding turret and thought this would be perfect to leave certain dies in, mark them as to what they are set at (shoulder bump, etc) and basically just rotate the press to the needed die. No setup, no trial and error, no bullshit.

Anyone do this?

It's early so forgive me if I'm reading it wrong. Are you saying you have to readjust the dies every time you change dies?

Anyone do this?
    Sooooooooooo why are you not using the hornady lock n load bushings?

Reactions: Bravo6niner
    I use a T7 and would buy another if I could get it at a good price.

Originally the ram was not aligned with turret holes (it would crack Redding 338 Lapua sizing dies!) and it went to Redding for repairs. It's been back over six years now, cranking out great quantities of 5.56, 308, and 30-06.

Last edited:
    Why not just use a lock ring on all your dies. Most even come with them now...

Or is it using omit in one press this time, the other press the next that is the issue? If so then I would put a sharpie mark on the dues and the press, 1 line is the left press, 2 lines is the second.

Or you could set it up on one, swap it to the other, see the difference, shim the low one so that they match each other?

Reactions: Bradu
    Mine has served me well without issue for 9 years.
    For what you're looking to accomplish with it, i believe you'll be more than satisfied with it's capabilities.

Yes my T7 also has some flex I can send you a video later of it if you want to see it in action. Mine is pretty minimal and have measured run out from the T7 vs my other single stage and I couldn't tell the difference. Ammo still shoots sub moa. I'm looking at getting a 650 to speed things up but it sounds like that is not the case for you.

I recently upgraded to a Forster Co-Ax, and although it's not what you're asking about, die changes are done in a matter of seconds.

I have a die rack right next to the press to hold the dies of different calibers and processes.

It makes life easier. Much, much, easier.

Reactions: sinister
    Have loved my T7 for 10yrs. It produces great ammo and I love the speed ... I have .223 Rem dies in there literally since day 1 of owning it, 10+ years, that have never been moved. If you are a benchrest guy, maybe its not for you, but if you are more of a field and stream shooter, the ammo it makes will serve you great.

I certainly have nothing like the experience Kilo Zulo Papa mentioned with flex and crappy ammo.

I've had one for 15 yrs, it does not see much use because I also have 2 coax's. I can say, and it doesn't mean diddly shit, when I switched from Redding sizing dies and a T-7 to a coax, with Whidden and Redding sizing dies , my runout was cut in half. I don't think I ever saw the difference on target though, max runout on T-7 was .0015".
    I had purchased 4 turret heads, one of them was noticeably out of spec and the flex was terrible, the rest were fine. All "O" style presses flex to some degree also, and it's easy to test the amount. I cannot say if the coax flexes.
    T-7 is a good press and I still size 7 saum brass on mine, and do all 223 work on it.

Reactions: sinister and KZP
    I have used a T 7 since they came out. Never an issue. Properly set up they will load ammo as well as any press made. My TIR on ammo measured at the ogive averages below .002. Measured just in front of the case neck it is near 0.

I've had my T7 for close to 15 years. Never had a" flex " problem. Very consistent. Before purchasing an auto for handgun loads, the T7 saw most of it's time loading 45 acp. As far a rifle loads go, very consistent when used with good dies.

I had flex in mine. Probably about .002 or so of random tilt. Noticed it in bullet seating originally.

Turns out if you stone about a thou off of the turret bushing it takes that slop out. The downside is the turret is much harder to rotate because of the lack of clearance between the frame and the turret mount point. Not impossible to turn, but definitely requires more force.

Reactions: Hillpuller and KZP
    Same as AIAW....had the press for about a dozen years...I really like it. I did have a little flex, but ran the bushing on some 1200 paper to take a thou or two off and it’s very consistent. The ability to keep the dies set and not have to try to get them back to the exact same setup every time I switch calibers is very nice. On my 6.5 Creed and 6 BRA TIR on loaded rounds is typically .0015-002 around the ogive—much less by the neck. Using Whidden and Forester seating dies...don’t think I can consistently do much better than that.

ZY

Reactions: AIAW
    Enough you can see it. First pic you can see light through the back of the press where the detent is. Second pic is fully raise with brass in the die and the light is gone.

20190215_205228.jpg

20190215_205316.jpg

So how much flex would you say is in a Rockchucker compared to the Redding?
    The way on a RC to tell is, screw a die down to touch the shellholder, cam over, look at it, then size a pc of brass, look the gap between the 2 now. Heavy magnum brass will yield more flex than 223 brass.

Huskydriver....that’s a good pic, illustrates the issue well. Stoning the bushing will significantly decrease that gap.

ZY
    I stoned mine years ago. Just gotta go real slow bc if you over do it you will get grinding when you turn the turret. I may have done mine a thou too much, but not too bad at all. I don’t think I needed to stone it though. Another case of me trying to fix something that wasn’t even broken

Reactions: ZY100
    Another happy T7 user. Redding .223 and .308 FL sizing, Neck sizing, and Comp Seating dies in mine. If you don't have a single stage to pull bullets with you'll need a cam lock puller. You can spin the handle on a collet lock puller in a full T7. Haven't swapped turrets but bought a spare with the press.

With T7 I have an expander, decapper, 4 dies on it. I seat with an arbor press/wilson dies, so it lets me have more on the turret. The only thing that is not top notch is the primer seater on it.

Reactions: cornhusker86
    i use 2 turret presses for various operations for precision ammo in my reloading area and a dillon 550 and 650 for the bulk ammo,

i use an old lyman Spar T press (6 holes) to deprime and size 223, 308 and 300 mag, a rcbs primer pocket swager and 2 open holes for what ever oddball round im loading. i size all the rounds on this to keep the lube off my T mag press

i have a Lyman T Mag press (6 holes) that has a removable turret and 3 spare turrets for it. it has a big allen key bolt (9/16) to hold the heads on. the nice thing is when i turn the turret to the station i want, i give the allen key a turn and it tightens the turret up solid so theres no movement, i load however many rounds im doing and when i need to move to the next station, give it a little back off and turn it.
    i have turrets set up for 223 with 2 sets of dies , 1 for bolt and 1 for the ARs, a turret with 308 rcbs comp dies in 1 side for my gas guns and the other side has a set of 308 Bonanza Comp dies for my bolt rifles, 3006 rcbs comp dies and 300 mag Bonanza comp dies in 1 head, 338 lapua in the last one

I use the Lyman T-mag as well. Haven't had any complaints with it. I just rotate it to whatever die I need, and tighten it down and go to town.

Just wanted to report back, I stoned the bushing on my T7 press as suggested by @AIAW and @ZY100 yesterday. I was able to remove the flex in the turret and appreciate the help on that. I am excited to see if I can measure any difference the next batch of ammo I run on it.

Reactions: AIAW
    I use an RCBS Turret. Does a good job. Love being able to leave everything setup.

Anyone do this?

Why not use the Dillon 650 you have but get caliber changes?

A while back I was in a similar position. 9mm on the 650, and everything else on a single stage. I decided to try to move to reloading the 6.5 creedmoor on the 650 and I really enjoy it. The only hassle is that H4350 can't meter consistently in the powder throw and so manually laying out charge master weights is the time limiting step.

Either way, if you want to avoid the purchase of a new press, a caliber conversion could work.

Reactions: gunsnjeeps
    Anyone suggest swapping the die thread adapter with the Hornady LNL bushing adapter? I really like them and the 2-3 presses I use them on.

I love my T7 and leave it setup with .223 and 6.5CM and haven't noticed any turret movement while operating it.

I have a T-7 and have no complaints. I was a little worried about flexing but I haven’t seen a noticeable difference in concentricity yet so haven’t thought about it. The one thing I do do is tighten the center bolt as hard as I can after changing turrets. I currently have 5 turrets with all my dies set up generally one or two calibers a turret depending if i have two guns in that caliber. My ocd kicked in and I run a set of dies for each gun so I don’t have to ever reset the dies. I also stopped depriming on the T-7 and have an old rockcrusher set up just to deprime. Since doing this I’ve noticed the ram never tightens up as it would do occasionally when I was depriming on it.

I also really like the 21st century short lever although the ball head keeps breaking their plastic threads after doing 1000ish rounds

I have been looking for a Co-Ax and am going to buy one just to compare to the T-7. I’ll let you know after I get it set up.

Attachments

• 43A18E61-EFBF-47E3-BE7B-AE6A4483C363.jpeg
      43A18E61-EFBF-47E3-BE7B-AE6A4483C363.jpeg
      380 KB · Views: 229
    • 76D26758-CD05-426E-8884-C27FFC652595.jpeg
      76D26758-CD05-426E-8884-C27FFC652595.jpeg
      344.1 KB · Views: 229
    Yes my T7 also has some flex I can send you a video later of it if you want to see it in action. Mine is pretty minimal and have measured run out from the T7 vs my other single stage and I couldn't tell the difference. Ammo still shoots sub moa. I'm looking at getting a 650 to speed things up but it sounds like that is not the case for you.
    Sorry but could t help notice your profile pic. You in/Where 1SBCT?

Enough you can see it. First pic you can see light through the back of the press where the detent is. Second pic is fully raise with brass in the die and the light is gone.

View attachment 7026112

View attachment 7026113

So I went thru all of my turrets to see if it looked like your press and even with the ram down it looks like the second picture without the gap. I don’t know why it’s different than yours but I thought it was worth mentioning my experience.

So I went thru all of my turrets to see if it looked like your press and even with the ram down it looks like the second picture without the gap. I don’t know why it’s different than yours but I thought it was worth mentioning my experience.

See post #40 I was able to fix my press.