• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Anyone use Aero M5E1 Builder Set?

dave300

Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Feb 27, 2013
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    Contemplating building a, ah, ummmm, not really sure but thinking about a 6.5 Creed?
    Any one recommend the builder sets for the basis for such a build.
    Thanks.

I say build what you want! 6.5 creedmoor always a nice build, or the trust worthy 7.62, either one will do. I have 3 m5 sets I built off of, never a issue, and perform. I prefer the upper like the m5 and mega's maten MKM. These two platforms are the only ones I use. My first pick is the mega mkm, then Aero m5. The great thing on Aero m5's, you can get a receiver set and hanguard for less than $400 and it still performs!

I built a 6.5 creedmoor on an Aero M5E1 builder set and am totally happy with it!
    M5E1 black anodized M-Loc - From Schuyler Arms Co. $350
    ballistic advantage 20" stainless Hanson profile barrel rifle length gas
    Superlative Arms adjustable gas block
    WMD NiB BCG (Nice and no primer issues to date)
    TriggerTech fire control group
    Aero lower parts kit
    spikes T3 buffer
    magpul enhanced receiver extension 10 position buffer tube ( its longer than standard so can use heavy AR15 carbine buffers)
    Luth MBA stock
    Tubbs flat wire long buffer spring
    Axts Raptor charging handle

I love how the hand guard attaches to the receiver - very solid
    the lower has a screw that puts pressure on the upper to eliminate any slop between lower and upper

i haven't done load development yet but 3/4 inch 3-shot group (97 yds) using 123 gr Nosler CC handloads on first outing after getting gas block adjusted.

I built a 6.5 creedmoor on an Aero M5E1 builder set and am totally happy with it!
    M5E1 black anodized M-Loc - From Schuyler Arms Co. $350
    ballistic advantage 20" stainless Hanson profile barrel rifle length gas
    Superlative Arms adjustable gas block
    WMD NiB BCG (Nice and no primer issues to date)
    TriggerTech fire control group
    Aero lower parts kit
    spikes T3 buffer
    magpul enhanced receiver extension 10 position buffer tube ( its longer than standard so can use heavy AR15 carbine buffers)
    Luth MBA stock
    Tubbs flat wire long buffer spring
    Axts Raptor charging handle

I love how the hand guard attaches to the receiver - very solid
    the lower has a screw that puts pressure on the upper to eliminate any slop between lower and upper

i haven't done load development yet but 3/4 inch 3-shot group (97 yds) using 123 gr Nosler CC handloads on first outing after getting gas block adjusted.

With your lower extension and Luth MBA, what is you LOP at fully extended?

I will measure it tomorrow!

Some pics of the LOP

for some reason the pics of the extended stock are not uploading to tinypic
    LOP ranges from 12.5 to 16.75 inches with the softer Luth recoil pad and Magpul enhanced 308 extension.

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/i66.tinypic.com\/262qf14.jpg"}[/IMG2]

Last edited:
    Thanks. I am building off the same set and need a long LOP. I've never seen this tube til u mentioned it.

The length of pull ranges from 12.5 inches to 16.75 inches with the Luth softer recoil pad ( available from Luth site - its not very soft but better than the stock one which is very hard and slippery
    I just shot the rifle with Prime 130 gr. ammo today and the groups made me very happy!!
    efouae.jpg

some decent 5 shot groups - my first shot from a fresh mag was always a flier so I loaded 6 fired 1st at another target and then 5 for a group as you see in above pic Targets 1,2 and 3. 4 was a 3 shot group
    250v3th.jpg

This target shows the first round flyer I consistently see (targets sighter, 3 and 4) target 1 is the target I started shooting with the first round before shooting the rest for group on other targets.

Finally Here is the rifle
    3128j0w.jpg

Thanks a million Ericb. That looks awesome. I will definitely go that route with the longer LOP. Great looking build too. Looks promising. Im sure some will be able to give u some advice on that flier

I built one in 6.5 Creedmoor, ba Hanson 22" barrel, rca hp bcg, Gisselle trigger. Top notch component group in theory. Load development was a bitch, by far the most finicky rifle I've ever dealt with. My stock rock river arms .308 was easy- 1/4 Moa five shot groups with a few loads, so I'm not new to the ar game. I tried everything, practical from 120-143grain bullets with a host of powder weights. It was accurate with slow stuff; but the advantages of the 6.5 were negated by how slow the barrel liked. Then I said screw it, factory loads were running hotter on the chrono than book values suggested without high pressure signs, so I went above all book values by 1.5 grains and finally found a good node. 5 shots in 3/8". I'm satisfied finally after a ton of load work. I was pulling my hair out with this build. I'm talking two scales loading to the exact kernel of powder, brass trimmed within .001", weighing each bullet, the whole nine yards- trying to figure out what she would like.
    By the way, none of the Berger hybrids/vld type of bullets could feed in this rifle. They would all get caught on the feed ramp with the nose of the bullet. Hornady bullets feed well, I haven't done any at dumps to test function under rapid fire because its such a waste of good ammo. I am curious if it will cycle rapidly.

Attachments

• photo59614.jpg
      photo59614.jpg
      23.6 KB · Views: 60
    Last edited:
    Here is mine, built on an Aero M5E1 set. Still saving for the glass so I can't comment on accuracy yet but the build went together well. Like stated before, if I had the budget I would have went for the Mega but I am happy so far with the Aero.

Attachments

• photo59651.jpg
      photo59651.jpg
      38.6 KB · Views: 34
    I built a 6 creedmoor on there set with jp internals for the money they can't be beat mines super tight I was very impressed.
    fc5477693e8f585390c16cdf8048e884.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For what it's worth, the receiver and lower have little to do with the overall accuracy of the weapon system. Aero, mega, whatever you choose. In my opinion, I feel the trigger group and barrel are some of the more critical areas to focus your attention on as far as cost/accuracy. Second to that, bcg. Proper functionality is paramount as well, therefore I go with an adjustable gas block, money well spent.

I built a 6.5 creedmoor using the m5 set. All jp precision internals anf barrel. Couldn't be happier with the accuracy and reliability. Not crazy about the Lancer carbon fiber hand guard. It doesnt get very tight. Do your research ahead of time to make sure you end up with a gun that cycles reliably.

FWIW, Mega has a new kit out that is similar to the Aero but is camo'd already. Called "Dragon" something? May be worth looking into. Rainier sent me the info on it.

The length of pull ranges from 12.5 inches to 16.75 inches with the Luth softer recoil pad ( available from Luth site - its not very soft but better than the stock one which is very hard and slippery
    I just shot the rifle with Prime 130 gr. ammo today and the groups made me very happy!!
    efouae.jpg

some decent 5 shot groups - my first shot from a fresh mag was always a flier so I loaded 6 fired 1st at another target and then 5 for a group as you see in above pic Targets 1,2 and 3. 4 was a 3 shot group
    250v3th.jpg

This target shows the first round flyer I consistently see (targets sighter, 3 and 4) target 1 is the target I started shooting with the first round before shooting the rest for group on other targets.

Finally Here is the rifle
    3128j0w.jpg

What front rest is that you have the rifle in? Looks awesome.

FWIW, Mega has a new kit out that is similar to the Aero but is camo'd already. Called "Dragon" something? May be worth looking into. Rainier sent me the info on it.

Aero does as well, they have a different camo pattern every month. Here is this month's:

https://aeroprecisionusa.com/m5e1-burnt-bronze-woodland-builder-set.html

Dealer price is significantly lower than suggested retail. I bought a set to build myself a .308 a couple months back, but haven't machined the barrel yet.

Can anyone with the Aero M5E1 measure the ID of the handguard? I'm wondering if a JP thermal dissipator will fit under it.

I've put several of the Aero Prec M5 & M5E1s together - all 6.5 CM - using both Ballistic Advantage & Krieger bbls. This one has B5 Bravo SOPMOD buttstock & PG, a contoured Krieger I chambered & finished at 24", JP LMOS/HP bolt, SLR Sentry 9 adjustable gas tap, RRA lower parts kit w/NM 2-stage trigger. I ordered the upper & handguard in Magpul FDE (all they had in stock at the time), then blasted & painted the lower to match. Haven't shot it much so far, just enough to fine-tune the gas tap with Hornady 140 AMax Match Ammo. Need to work with handloads in it to see what it's capable of.

Attachments

• photo62557.jpg
      photo62557.jpg
      96.4 KB · Views: 53
    All I can say is use prime 130 gr ammo to accuracy test the BA barrels

As you can see from photo, the charging handle will interfere with the luth mba3 on its closer settings.