• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Anyone use B&H Photo to order an expensive scope?

They are a very reputable seller. I purchased my Kowa Prominar spotter from them. Fast shipping, well packaged, not sure what more you can ask for.

I purchased about $4,000.00 worth of Fuji camera and lenses from them, no issues. I think I may have returned a $$ Canon lens as well, painless. There are a lot of gray marketers in NYC/NJ, but B&H aren't one of them. Discounts are few and far between, but they are a stand up organization, GTG. You might want to try using "Greentoe" (.com). Maybe it'll save you some money.

Few years back ordered a Vortex Viper PST from them. No issues.

Ordered a vortex razor spotter with tripod and some pan head swivel gizmo. They were blowing them out. Even gave me a $75 dollar gift card. Had best price around, even after I had to pay sales tax since I live in NY. Had it in a day. Literally live 25 miles away. They have a good reputation and I think you will be happy with your purchase. I would buy from them more often if it wasn't for having to pay sales tax.

I've also ordered a number of things from them. Great outfit they run. Top notch.

Better to have it and not need it, than to not have it and say oh shit.....

I have ordered about $40,000.00 in camera gear, spotters, scopes, camera drones and other various equipment from them in the past 10 years.

You will not find a more rock solid company to deal with.

B&H is one of the biggest players in the camera area and you shouldn't have any worries. You might call cameralandny or other hide vendor and see if you can't luck out with it being in stock and a good deal.

In case you needed it at this point, I'll echo the above experiences. I've ordered several thousand dollars worth of camera gear from them. Great folks!

I have spent more money than I'm willing to admit with them. Great place to do business with.

Looks like I may be the lone voice in the darkness here: B&H has a fairly widespread reputation for selling returns, "floor models", and/or otherwise open-box merchandise as new. The first time it happened to me, on a Cisco wireless access point, I wasn't quite sure, but something just seemed off, just didn't quite seem new. The WAP worked fine, though, and so I wrote that experience off as me being overly paranoid.

About a year and a half later I rolled the dice again and purchased a Bushnell spotter from B&H, mostly because they had it and I couldn't find one in stock elsewhere. This time I knew something was wrong. The first clue was that it came wrapped in the exact same anti-static bag the Cisco WAP came in (no kidding, the exact same bag, I still have both packages). I have 5 other Bushnell optics and the interior packaging of the spotter was unlike any other Bushnell product I'd purchased. The spotter appeared in good condition, but it was really dusty, like it had been on display for a really long time and the dust cover was badly faded, like it had been exposed to direct sunlight for an extended time.

After the 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] experience I did a little Googling and found numerous like experiences, mostly on forums related to high-end photography. The general gist was that B&H was pretty well known for such behavior in their circles. So... Caveat emptor...!

+1 for B&H. Bought my wife a nice SLR camera from them for Christmas last year. Would not hesitate to use them again.

Looks like I may be the lone voice in the darkness here: B&H has a fairly widespread reputation for selling returns, "floor models", and/or otherwise open-box merchandise as new.

I am very sorry you had an unsatisfactory experience shopping with B&H. We don't sell floor model merchandise. We cannot. 99% of the items on display in our store are supplied by our vendors or the brand's US distributor. They're not ours to sell. Our used department has refurbished, "open box" and other as-new items. Our used equipment rating system includes these categories:
NBrand new/Never used - In original manufacturer's packaging
OBOpen Box with full manufacturer warranty
DNever owned - Used for demonstration purposes only
RRefurbished by the Manufacturer to original company's specifications
10Preowned equipment, but appears as new
and so on.

It is certainly possible to find negative comments about us online. It is equally possible to find similarly negative comments about almost every retailer in almost every industry. I've learned that not every individual complaint has merit. I also know we're an "Accredited Business" with an A+ rating from the BBB. We've earned 4.5/5 stars in Yelp; 9.68/10 in Resellerratings, and 9.8/10 in TrustPilot. We have been in business since 1973. We are by no means perfect but we strive every day to be better than the day before.

As I said, I am very sorry you had an unsatisfactory experience.
-- Henry Posner / B&H Photo-Video

henryp B&H: If not a floor model or return, please explain the condition of the Bushnell spotter I received as detailed in my post above. There was nothing on your website listing to indicate it was anything other than 100% new, and the price was in-line with other vendor's "new" price.

BTW: "Dislike"... really? Is this now becoming Facebook? All I did was post an accurate detailing of my experiences.

Last edited:
As if B&H is going to recall a specific listing for a specific product purchased years ago. Accept that you had an outlier experience and move on.

As if B&H is going to recall a specific listing for a specific product purchased years ago. Accept that you had an outlier experience and move on.

For the record, surgeon, the spotter purchase was earlier this year, just a few months ago. The point is simply that, if B&H does not, ever, sell demo, floor model, return merchandise, et al. as new, as was his claim, how would one explain the condition of the items I purchased? YMMV but a simple Google search will turn-up more than enough similar experiences to validate that mine was far from unique (you won't have to look past page 1). Actually, henryp appears to be kept rather busy responding to such experiences. That's all I got for this one PL out...

...if B&H does not, ever, sell demo, floor model, return merchandise, et al. as new, as was his claim, how would one explain the condition of the item.

Considering they have a very liberal return policy, it is possible they received, inspected, and re-sold a returned item. Personally, I have no issue if I receive an opened item, if it is unused and has the full waranty.

Thank you and all the others here kind enough to share their positive experiences. We are very grateful.

Does this mean we might be able to contact B&H for "Hide pricing" on certain items :)?

Better to have it and not need it, than to not have it and say oh shit.....

henryp B&H: If not a floor model or return, please explain the condition of the Bushnell spotter I received as detailed in my post above. There was nothing on your website listing to indicate it was anything other than 100% new, and the price was in-line with other vendor's "new" price.

I don't know anything about this transaction except what you reported. I cannot ID you. Other than "a Bushnell spotter" I don't know which particular product you ordered.
At the very least I'd need the original B&H order number, either here or via email to henryp at bhphoto dot com.

Well, jumping on the bandwagon I've thrown some substantial coin on photo equipment and have nothing but the best to say. When I've actually called with an inquiry the guys are very knowledgeable and helpful. In 5 years or so I've had one return and it was my bad, went seamless.

OP here. Everything turned out great! They really had the scope in stock that is backordered everywhere else (must have gotten the last one because out of stock now). They called me to verify the transaction (which I really appreciate). They shipped it next day air at a super reasonable rate. Excellent packaging. Original container, obviously never opened previously. Everything in order. Perfect Transaction!

They are GTG.

I bought my Kowa spotter and over $15,000 in camera gear for my wife from them. Never had anything other than a 1st class experience. The comment regarding being notorious for selling floor models, returns and open box is the first I have ever heard of it from anyone. This forum is tiny compared to the camera forums out there and if B&H had a reputation for doing that; it would be everywhere. The only thing they sell are grey market items at a significant discount. They are clearly identified as such.