• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Anyone use defiance machine actions?

Re: Anyone use defiance machine actions?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 264HH</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How do they stack up against say Stiller or Big Horn? Are they worth the extra money?</div></div>
maybe ask GAP..its my understanding that they use Defiance actions just named "Templar"\
i may be wrong though so please feel free to correct me.
http://www.gaprecision.net/ga-precision-templar-action.html

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Manufacturer of our action is Glen Harrison, Defiance Machine LLC. , Glen was the founder and former president/owner of Nesika Bay Precision before selling it to Dakota Arms. Glen is a pleasure to deal with and we are very pleased with the actions he is making for us.</div></div>

I used to build up two 338 LM's for a project and liked them so much I ordered one for myself for my 6mm Dasher build. I wanted a drop port and they delivered it to me within 45 days and it is nice.

Are the defiance actions better than the other custom actions? The great thing is there are a lot of good choices for custom actions barrels etc.

wade

Having handled both the Defiance is smoother, Defiance has more options available, I'm sure they both will be equally accurate given good components, Defiance has a better extraction suface design, In some ways it's more about aesthetics!

Defiance Machine makes actions that are used by GAP (Templar) and SAC (Short Action Customs alpha11) to name a couple.

Call Defiance and you should get Josh Gleason on the phone. Hes VERY helpful and patient and as long as you know sort of what you want he can give you recommendations.

Great people!

There are a lot of great actions available today. the best choice depends on what you will use it for and personal preference. For my part, I now own 4 Defiance actions and sold the two Surgeons that I had. One of the strengths of Defiance is Glen Harrison. He practically invented the custom action market and knows more about the ins and outs of an action than virtually anyone. That translates to him being able to fix minor problems you might run into(like trigger timing or extraction) without breaking a sweat. Compare this to some newer players who are still figuring out the finer details.

That said, Stiller makes awesome actions and the price is right. I'd get Defiance if you want to do a lot of custom options and go with Stiller if what he offers fits your requirements without modification.

Defiance will be making actions for us one of these years.

Soon I hope
smile.gif

Theyre AWESOME!

They are the cats meow and great people to deal with.

i have both.

stiller = being in 2d grade

defiance = graduating with honors

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 264HH</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Are they worth the extra money? </div></div>Yes.

Fit and finish are second to none, a significant number of options available to customize your action and left hand shooters don't take a back seat like everywhere else.

Glen Harrison is excellent to work with, you won't be disappointed.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sharfshutze</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I feel Defiance is the best action made today and the worst is Lawton. everything else in between. I narrowly choose Defiance over Surgeon because I feel it ejects better with better camming too. </div></div>

Maybe that is true for new actions but I have a GAP7000 action (built by Lawton) on a 7WSM. It is one of the smoothest I've ever shot and the rifle is a true screamer in the accuracy dept.
Now, to the question at hand, the Defiance actions I have handled were top notch. I would not hesitate to use one if building right now.

cant really comment on any other actions than defiance machines, but i got 338 norma mag on a defiance machine tube gun action, and i love it, its a super smoth action! for the record

None better
just ordered my second action, a Mutant for my RTS build

Stiller is not even close to being in same league as Defiance, i have had both ... no comparison

Defiance actions rock, I wont buy anything else for my builds

Defiance actions are stellar! I've honestly not seen or handled any better made. If I had the money, absolutely 100% of the rifles I own would be built on Defiance actions. They are excellent in everything they do. You simply can't go wrong when you build using a Defiance action as your base.

They make a nice action...signature action builders for LPR, APA, GAP, SAC, etc. My Surgeon 591 is smoother than my Defiance action but it has 700+ rounds through and many dry fire sequences it vs 10 for the Defiance so I am sure it will loosen up.

You all must have a different defiance action that i had. If you want to buy yourself a great action and save a few bucks in the mean time buy a borden. Heck even the Kelbly atlas is a better product, as is bighorn and surgeon. Defiance isnt even on my list. Just say N . Of course this is my opinion!! Lee

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: skeetlee</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You all must have a different defiance action that i had. If you want to buy yourself a great action and save a few bucks in the mean time buy a borden. Heck even the Kelbly atlas is a better product, as is bighorn and surgeon. Defiance isnt even on my list. Just say N . Of course this is my opinion!! Lee </div></div>

You are the only guy I've ever heard of who didn't like the Defiance. It's obviously the choice of many top-tier gunsmiths; can you explain what it is that you took offense to?

Defiance used to make a reciever that you could buy, and the guys would use PTG bolts and there were problems with the bolt timing and extraction isurfaces, and there seem like alot of name calling and bad mouthing coming from a few sources that had issues with Glen Harris, the new actions have a far superior extraction surface and have had no issues since that I have heard about!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DANS40X</div><div class="ubbcode-body">History repeats itself time & time again.

Swing the bolt on a Barnard & you'll give those Phoenix/Defiance actions away.
</div></div>

Ya, I sold the Barnard and ordered a Defiance to replace it. The Barnard is a first-rate action: no doubt about it. It's also used by many, many top long-range shooters. The only disparaging thing I will say is "it's not a Remington clone." :) Some might take that as a compliment, but the fact of the matter is you have way more component choices with a Remington clone. Barnard/Defiance: both awesome choices.

I should note that I'm talking about single-shot Barnards. The repeaters are not the best design: have heard plenty of folks with feeding issues.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DANS40X</div><div class="ubbcode-body">History repeats itself time & time again.

Swing the bolt on a Barnard & you'll give those Phoenix/Defiance actions away.
</div></div>

For real field use I would'nt piss on a Barnard..