• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Anyone use factory seconds?

JDLawrence3

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Dec 25, 2021
Lincoln, DE
Anyone use factory seconds when they're available? I ve used them in the past and gotten decent performance. Never great groups, but very consistent.

No issues here for 77 and 175 smk. Same as you, not shooting br groups, but kills lots of steel just fine

Reactions: JDLawrence3
I've been wondering about the factory seconds that pop up on Midway. Mostly the 77's. Are they a single lot?

I use 175gr smk seconds from midway and get .5 at 100 or under.

Shot a few thousand Nosler Custom Competiton 140 blems in 65CM/260 out to 1000 regularly for practice. No issues. Also the Nosler 77 CCs for ARs

Reactions: JDLawrence3
I shoot them regularly and haven't had an issue (yet). Lately I've been using the 220 Nos CC for my 300 BLK subs and they've been pretty accurate.

75c0fl-1.jpg

Have shot a couple thousand 123CC’s, 129ABLR’s, 140CC’s and 77CC’s with pretty good results after sorting by ogival length. Otherwise, have seen as much as .024” variance in ogive in several batches I’ve been through. Time is $$, and you need to decide if the juice is worth the squeeze.

Nosler seconds are advertised to be blemishes only, still adhering to dimensional specs. I am not aware of any other makers who advertise this for seconds. I have picked up sierra seconds directly from their factory and had good luck, but they do tell you to weigh and measure each bullet because they might have random stuff in there with them.

While sorting through 50 lbs of .308 and 50 lbs of .338 seconds from them, I discovered notable variations in overall lengths but lengths to ogives were consistent. For tipped bullets, some tips were missing and some were inserted backwards. I did not find mixed bullet weights though they tell you to expect that. I also did not find any that were the a different caliber than anticipated. I wouldn’t hesitate to buy Sierra seconds again direct from their factory. I have not purchased any through any other vendors, so no input there.

The only ones I have gotten were SMK 300s in 338LM. I'd definitely get them again as they were more consistent, loaded at different lengths, than my ELDMs and Atips.

From Serria they all meet the accuracy standards. The color of the jacket is just not what it’s supposed to be. That was what they said when I went on a tour there a few years ago. They sell them in the store down there by the pound. And I do not believe they go by lot numbers if I remember correctly they just get tossed together.

Screw that, with the current cost of powder and primers I am not gambling with the most important
component.

I shoot a lot of Hornady blems. Mainly for practice, but when I miss, it’s probably still me and not the bullet.

I have shot thousands of factory second, 77gr SMK, and 140gr ELDM and 140gr Hyrbids never had a issue. I have shot the factory new and 2nds side by side on many occasions and can't tell the difference.

Ive had good luck with several blems in several calibers EXCEPT the various types with the ballistic tips. The majority of the boxes contained deformed tips, some severe and even missing tips completely. I did have a box of what I am almost sure was the .22 cal 55 gr blitzking that had some completely missing tips. I loaded them up and they still shot great. I still avoid buying blems with tips.