• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

anyone use rcbs 1010 scale ?

Re: anyone use rcbs 1010 scale ?

If you can find an older one, before they were made in Mexico, they're better.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tripwire</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yep, good scale..... </div></div>
+1
The 10/10 is a good scale (I've not come across a "Mexico" model yet)but it's no more accurate than any of the other common RCBS scales.(502,505,5-10)They all use exactly the same floating agate bearing/knife edge set-up which is the heart of the system.

Main features of the 10/10 are that it will weigh over 1000 gns by the addition of an extra weight hanging on the beam. It has a micrometer type poise system for the 10th grain. It has an approach to weight device. It packs up into it's own dustproof case.

The old 5-10, no longer made, has the same features except no hanging weight and no plastic box.

The 505 and the 502 are very similar, both weighing 500 gns but the 505 has a "better" poise set-up.

A good tuned beam scale is a joy to use.

Add a camera and an Omega trickler and smile.

+1 the older 10/10s are good scales. I got mine (Ohaus) on E-Bay, then sent it to Scott Parker for a tune up. excellent piece of gear.

Jeffvn

+1 for sending the scale to Scott Parker for tuning or just buying a tuned balance if he has any in stock. I can see needle deflection on my tuned balance with one granule of varget.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Scott Parker for a tune up</div></div>

Can I get some additional info on him/his services please? The 1010 is not as sensitive as I would like. Another issue I’ve had is that I can zero it for a small charge (like 6gr for small pistol) and when I adjust it for a larger charge (like 79gr for large rifle), zero has to be adjusted per check weights.

Thanks!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MtnCreek</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Scott Parker for a tune up</div></div>

Can I get some additional info on him/his services please? The 1010 is not as sensitive as I would like. Another issue I’ve had is that I can zero it for a small charge (like 6gr for small pistol) and when I adjust it for a larger charge (like 79gr for large rifle), zero has to be adjusted per check weights.

Thanks!
</div></div>

Scott Parker's contact info:

661 364 1199

or

[email protected]

+1 on the older ones,newer one , made in Mexico,not as good.

Scott Parker won't touch an new (Mexico) scale. He got me an old 10-05 that he'd gone through. He says the new ones can't be trued because of the new design. Didn't go into specifics.

I have a couple RCBS beam scales, a Dillon, and an Ohaus.

It is all the same stuff, made by Ohaus.

I have had two new in last 6 months, the first was purchase second replacement from RCBS both crap. The replacement gathering dust on shelf. I'm not going to send it out to get 'tuned' it can rot on the shelf.

its got to be better than some cheep junk thats out there. it cant be to bad,i can get one for $150

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Clark</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a couple RCBS beam scales, a Dillon, and an Ohaus.

It is all the same stuff, made by Ohaus. </div></div>

I have a Dillon Eliminator scale that you can buy new for $70, or used a little cheaper on E-bay. It is very sensitive, and has been very reliable for me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wwbrown</div><div class="ubbcode-body">+1 for sending the scale to Scott Parker for tuning or just buying a tuned balance if he has any in stock. I can see needle deflectbion on my tuned balance with one granule of varget.</div></div>

I just purchased a new 5-0-5 that says "made in Mexico" and I can see deflection with one grain of h4831sc. It is consistent and I can't see spending money to "tune" it. Just my opinion.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bigwheels</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Scott Parker won't touch an new (Mexico) scale. He got me an old 10-05 that he'd gone through. He says the new ones can't be trued because of the new design. Didn't go into specifics. </div></div>

I spoke with Scott last night, and yes he no longer is working on the 10-10's at all. He said he is selling the (Lyman) Ohaus M5 for $185 delivered in the lower 48.

I am on the fence as the 10-10 has been good to me, and $185 is a tough pill to swallow.

How would one confirm Mexico built? My new 10-10 from late last year has no indication of "Made In Country" language on it. Bottom has the Ohaus NJ information. I'm thinking a late last year model is boarder line for being built in either country, but would like to confirm.

Thanks, DV

Over the years I started with a 505 then went to a 10-10,
liked the 505 better so bought another.

Now I use a dig but plan on keeping the 505 for backup for use when without elect, or batterys

I still use the 10-10 I bought over 30 years ago.

I have digital scales, but I still mostly use the 10-10.