• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Anyone use steel cased ammo?

EddieE

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 20, 2017
I have read that running steel cased ammo is semi-auto can damge the guns since steel is a strong metal and can wear the steel parts. This makes sense.

What about in bolt guns? I'm not talking junk ammo, say Hornaday Match.

What are the cons of using such ammo in a bolt gun?

Thanks

the whole bit about it damaging your rifle is pure BS....i generally dont run steel case in my bolt guns, but thats because its mostly surplus or plinking ammo.....i do run it almost exclusively in my ARs, AKs and handguns, and never given me any issues.

no experience with SteelMatch, but i wouldnt have any qualms about running it.

Hornady Steel Match is loaded cold, other than that have at it.

Hornady Steel Match is loaded cold, other than that have at it.

Good to know. I will try it. So, what makes it 1/2 the cost of their other match ammo that is in brass? Would the steel case cause the price to drop that much or is there less QC, and it doesn't hold the same accuracy as the other match ammo that they offer.

the whole bit about it damaging your rifle is pure BS....i generally dont run steel case in my bolt guns, but thats because its mostly surplus or plinking ammo.....i do run it almost exclusively in my ARs, AKs and handguns, and never given me any issues.

no experience with SteelMatch, but i wouldnt have any qualms about running it.

I don't have much experience, so I rely on other peoples experience. When in doubt, I play it safe. I don't want to be in a position where I damage my guns.

I run steel in my SKS, Mini-30, and everything I have in 9x18 Makarov.

I have, TulAmmo 55gr FMJBT.

I found and then looked for the Boxer primed variety, then did some handloading experimentation. I made it work; however, it is anything but intuitive. I found enough quirks to the reloading angle to suggest I warn folks off against trying that.

I repeat, do not be tempted to reload the TulAmmo Boxer primed steel .223 cases.

Otherwise, I have had no perceptible issues with the 55gr TulAmmo FMJBT in my ARs or bolt rifles. As burner ammo, it's OK and economical. Not match accurate, and not match expensive either.

For non-handloaders, I think the Hornady 75gr Steel Match appears, on paper, to be a genuine bargain; just remember to clean up the steel cases before you leave.

Greg

For non-handloaders, I think the Hornady 75gr Steel Match appears, on paper, to be a genuine bargain; just remember to clean up the steel cases before you leave.

Greg

What do you mean by clean up? Clean up after yourself at the range or clean the wax off the case before using it?

I have shot the Hornady Steel Match a lot on my ARs for 3 gun. Shoots great and no issues with damage. I run the 75grn version and from my 18" AR it's at about 2595fps if I remember correctly. Have also shot the .308 version out of my bolt guns. No issues. Accurate to 400 yards, which is the farthest range I had to practice when using them.

There's nothing wrong with steel case ammo other than it seems to be a little lower grade but for many applications it's fine. The only issue you can run into is faster carbon build up in the chamber since the steel doesn't expand quite like the brass does. If you shoot a bunch of steel and go to run brass you can get stuck cases that you may have to punch out with a rod or dowel. The solution is to just hit the chamber with a brush and mop before going back to brass and you'll never have an issue.

Is the Russian ammo industry included in the latest round of sanctions.

The Hornady steel match stuff is probably fine because it uses decent bullets, but most steel case ammo also has steel jacketed bullets, which will wear out your bore much quicker. In case you haven't seen this test, this is where I'm getting my info:

http://www.luckygunner.com/labs/bras...el-cased-ammo/

Eh......but you also have to consider, steel is around 1/2 the price of brass case.......

by the time youve shot out your barrel running steel, youve saved enough to buy a new barrel several times over