• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Anyone use the yo-yo fishing reels?

polarcow

Private
Minuteman
Dec 12, 2004
North Carolina
Does anyone have any experience with these? Seems like it would be well suited to a survivalist situation in addition to normal camping.

-polarcow

Re: Anyone use the yo-yo fishing reels?

I used to use them all the time back when I used to guide. It's best to place the bait just below the surface of the water this time of the year, contrary to what most people think...

Good info, I hadn't thought of that. I will be picking up a couple to try out sometime soon. Ever had any issues/problems with them? Any other tips?

Biggest issue around here with them is theft. They work well. You can adjust depth and sensitivity on them.

If you set them out, check them regularly or turtles will wipe you out! You'll have a bunch of half eaten fish.

No not really problems with the actual device. But Like BB stated theft is a huge problem. It's actual very peaceful to go out, set some yoyos, drink some beer and listen for limbs to start shakin...

They have become very expensive, we have a couple of hundred yo-yos, but it has been years since I went out and ran yo-yo's. It is fun, we catch white perch, catfish and gar on them, but the turtles will eat your catch if you do not get to them first. We bait them with shiners, just under the surface of the water.