• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Anyone use Varget in .300 WM with 220gr SMK?

flynlow3

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 2, 2010
IL, EFFINGHAM
I recently purchased a custom 300 win mag that was chambered for a 220gr bullet. I would like to use varget since I order that in mass bulk for all my .308 and .223's. Just didnt see it possible with a 220gr smk bullet. Can anyone tell me why or why not? I would like to experiment with it if it is safe and try to work up a load so I can keep everything simple in my reloading room.

Re: Anyone use Varget in .300 WM with 220gr SMK?

Varget burns too fast. It's not applicable. H1000, r22, retumbo, h4831 just to name a few ,are all good powders for that sized bullet.

That is what I gathered. So my new debate is H1000 or Retumbo. Retumbo seems to be a bit more stable and cleaner. Any thoughts?

I haven't tried Retumbo but I get good accuracy and consistent velocity with H1000.

I've run them both, & Retumbo is a little more temp sensitive, & is dirty compared to H-1000.

H1000. been the most consistent for me with 208 AMax's