• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Anyone used a Telescope

chris19210

Private
Minuteman
Nov 7, 2010
East Texas
I was at the range the other day and saw some guy with a large telescope at a 100yards haha...overkill to say the least. How well do these cut through the mirage at longer shots say 700+? Sounds a bit ridiculous id have to admit but then again so are some of the prices for nice spotting scopes. Don't have to much fun raggin on me now.

Re: Anyone used a Telescope

I have and used a Celestron C5 with a 5" main objective and 35mm CAmera adaptor on the range in both Houston and Las Vegas. It has multiple eyepieces, including a 50-150X. It is absolutely stunning and amazing in a light mirage situation. If the mirage is bad put it away it will make you sea sick.

JeffVN

The odds of mirage making a spotting scope useless are directly proportional to the magnification you're using. My 25-75x scope is little to no use (sometimes even @200 yards) if it's cool to cold and there's bright sunshine. I think it would be a truly remarkable day when any optical telescope could accurately make out the position of a .30 hole @1000 yards. That's why there are a couple other threads around about remote monitoring systems for long range targets.

The mirage (turbulence) limits what any optical system can ultimately see. Higher magnification makes the mirage look bigger that is why I will crank off from max zoom on my NF BR scope when things heat up on the range.

The US and other governments have spent billions trying to understand the turbulence (science term for mirage) to help programs like airborne laser system and free space optical comms. I spent a few years in this field and it is interesting and very difficult to conquer.

wade

I have used my C8 at around 50 diameters to easily see 30 caliber holes and even the hanging chads at 620 yards in good conditions (over a canyon). However, until the scope reached thermal equilibrium the holes would sometimes disappear. I have never taken it to a 1000 yd range, and would expect the above postings to apply to mirage conditions.
Bill

Thanks for the responses...any suggestions or preferences on which ones are the best buy? How much and whats the model?

used one for exteneded distances believe it was too much magnifiaction for what we were doing dont remember a mirage issue though.

that actually sounds like a great idea! my eye sight isnt the greatest and it would help. i have a pricey spotting scope but it would be nice to use something i can actually see the holes im making. never thought of it but great idea. i would imagine something entry level would be sufficient. but the problem is those telescopes are very dainty and you gotta be ginger with them.

I've used a Meade ETX 90 with the eyepieces it came with. I could see bullet holes (.30 cal) on paper to 400 yards most of the time. 500 yards was hit or miss, and any further was no luck at all.

I used the telescope with the tripod it came with and it does look a bit overkill at the range, but it works.

Just remember that your image may be flipped depending on your setup/optics. My setup flips the image left/right.

I suggest you find a local astronomy club and attend one of thier "star parties" before you spend the money. Consider how much you want to pack it to the range. Diameter determines resolution, all other things being equal. Weight will increase rapidly, with diameter. I have a 45 degree elbo that creates a left to right correct image, which will save you much grief with "terrestial" viewing. Hope this helps. Bill