• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Anyone used Utah Rifles in Pleasant Grove?

Matno

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 10, 2012
They're close to home, have reasonable rates, and answered my email questions well, but I'd like an outside opinion before committing to having work done by anyone. I was a little turned off when they posted a "testimonial" that says he gets 'consistent 1/4" groups at 300 yards.' And their recommended optics are pretty low end. Anybody have any experience with them?

If not, there's a place 40 minutes south that comes highly recommended on the LRH website...

They're close to home, have reasonable rates, and answered my email questions well, but I'd like an outside opinion before committing to having work done by anyone. I was a little turned off when they posted a "testimonial" that says he gets 'consistent 1/4" groups at 300 yards.' And their recommended optics are pretty low end. Anybody have any experience with them?

If not, there's a place 40 minutes south that comes highly recommended on the LRH website...

I haven't heard of them either. Who is the guy 40 minutes south?

Deadly Precision in Santaquin

You might do a bit more digging on Deadly Precision. There are numerous customers that have posted issues with him recently. There was even one that got the ATF involved as well as a attorney when he wouldn't respond to several attempts for contact. He had his new Nightforce scope and 2500.00 to build him a rifle for about a year and a half. There are post here as well as on LRH about it.

Good to know. (And a bummer. That was my fall back option...)

Last edited:
1/4" @ 300?????????? Thats Tactical Rifles accuracy

Funny you should mention that because I just ran across the Guns America article on TR. After everything I've seen on this site, I just had to chuckle at how "amazing" their test gun was. I'm sure even I could make a good one now and then...

Which makes me start to think.... Hmmm.
Actually, now that I think about it, I have an old friend I haven't seen in years (I just moved back to Utah) who used to make all his own rifle barrels. Worked for Barnes Bullets. I'll have to stop by and say hi...

Michael Gerulat

Nope, don't know him. I used to work at the Provo Range and an old bench rest guy would come out almost every time we were open. He had a full machine shop in his basement and his rifles where incredible. I believe he got most business through word of mouth, but he used to have a website that is now defunct: www.rhekopenterprises.com

Last edited:
My friend is Mike Hill, and he also had a sweet machine shop. He lives by the mouth of Hobble Creek canyon, so most of his shooting was at that range. I used to make fun of him because all of his rifles were in super high velocity wildcat calibers nobody ever heard of. Now that I'm reloading that sounds kind of cool...

There are plenty of really good smiths that are on this site. If you don't want to take a gamble, then go with any of the recommended smiths on the hide, such as: Spartan Precision, Short Action Customs,Tactical Operations, GAP, LA Precision, KMW, etc.

Talk to a few of them on the phone and let them know what you want for a rifle and your expectations. All the smiths endorsed on this site are great, but some may be more suited for you and your rifle needs than others, based on your expectations.

That's a fail safe way of getting a great rifle that delivers what you want.

Good luck on the rifle hunt!

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

I know there are, but I really don't want the hassle or expense of shipping a gun, so trying to find local. I'm looking for relatively minor work, not a full build (for now). I know there has to be someone good in central Utah!