• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

anyone using a mildot scope on there 22 trainer?

Re: anyone using a mildot scope on there 22 trainer?

There are a lot of guys here using mil-dot type scopes on their .22 trainers. In my opinion it is not a waste of money at all, if you are going to be shooting past 100yds with the .22. If shooting inside that range then you may not want to spend that type of money on that type of scope.

I just put a Bushnell 3200 Elite Tactical 10x mil-dot scope on my new Savage MarkII FVSR since I want to use it to learn wind prediction and compensation out past 200yds and it is a whole lot cheaper than shooting my .308, and a 200 or 300yd range is a whole lot closer than a 600 or 1000yd range.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: donniedee</div><div class="ubbcode-body">is anyone using a mil dot scope on there 22 trainer rifle? or are they a waist of money on a 22? thnaks guys </div></div>
Sure - lots of people do now. I've mounted PMII 5-25X[56] Gen 2 XR CCWs' on top of my insanely-accurate 10/22 as well as on my Kimber Model 82B Sporter and I can see the impact on the head of the Desert Ram and Pig clearly at 300 yards at 25X. I shoot at <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">(and hit)</span></span> 1 MOA targets at 200 and 300 yards all the time, but if I happen to miss I just hold or dial what I see in the scope. I can only dial Elevation to a little past 400 yards because I'm only using a 25 MOA base on the 82B and a 20 MOA on the 10/22 instead of the recommended 45 MOA for use with PMII 5-25X[56], but that's fine since I can only hit a torso sized target with regularity to 300 yards or so in calm conditions anyway (using 40gr. Wolf MT).

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Kimber Model 82B "Classic" Sporter, with PMII 5-25X 0.1 MIL Gen 2 XR CCW + 2" USO ARD and NEAR Manufacturing rings on top of
a Murphy Precision Two Piece Base. This PMII and Mark 4 Rings will be mounted on top of a Tac Ops Two Piece Base on my 40XB
.22LR Sporter Conversion as soon as I can get it built. It will be a complete, full-size .22LR look-alike of my Tac Ops X-Ray 51:</span></span>
Kimber82BMurphyPrecisionPMII5-25XRS45DCloseup8x6.jpg

Kimber82BMurphyPrecisionPMII5-25XLS45DCloseup8x6.jpg

Kimber82BMurphyPrecisionPMII5-25X38x6.jpg

Kimber82BMurphyPrecisionPMII5-25X28x6.jpg

Keith

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shootnjunky</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So since i want to go with MilDot what Scope should I choose?</div></div>

You need to set a budget first, that will help dictate which scopes are in your market. You'll never be sorry you spent money on good glass, even if it's more than you wanted to spend.

Ok, so $600 for my rimfire.

I have a NIghtforce on my Remmy so I am not opposed to spending it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shootnjunky</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ok, so $600 for my rimfire.

I have a NIghtforce on my Remmy so I am not opposed to spending it. </div></div>

For $600 you could go with the Super Sniper 3-9, any of the Super Sniper fixed power scopes, Vortex also has a midway special 5-15x44 scope that runs a little less than $600 I believe. Great thing about these scope is all have matching reticle and turrets. I have a Super Sniper 12x waiting to go on my .22 trainer! Hope this helps!

Have the Weaver Tactical Grand Slam 3-10 X 40 mm with a Mil-Dot reticle and 1/10 Mil adjustments that I purchased from Midway for $299.00. They currently have them on sale at that price ( see Product No. 598-484 )

I have mine zeroed at 100 yards and shoot sub-sonic rounds and it's a lot of fun! Good luck with your search . . . JaxOps

Look at the trajectory of the .22LR. Yes, a mil-dot system is very useful. For a .17hm2, maybe not.

I think you should look into a Mueller APT

I run a MLR-type scope on my 22 trainer. Same type of adjustments and reticle (in general) as on my .308 bolt. I tried to keep the style the same between the two guns, even though there is a huge price difference in the scopes (and rifles) themselves.

Then put the SAME NF on your 22!

The only .17hm2 that I have scoped right now, is a very light semi with a low power scope setup for quick shooting. When the "big" .17hm2 gets ready to go, then I will probably go mil, but the hm2 trajectory out to 100ish yards doesn't really need much unless the wind is really strong.

I like having the same look through both my trainer and my .308 bolt gun. I think the benefits are worth the little more money put on the scope of my trainer. Just my two cents. And as said above there are some decent mildot scopes under $400-$500 that do the job.

I bought a Vortex Viper PST 2.5-10x for it, Can't wait to try it out.

I was shooting my CZ 455 Varmint 22LR that has the Bushnell Elite 3200 10X mil-dot today,,325 is far as I can shoot from the house and the wind was really bad,,but 42 MOA up and 2 1/2 mil hold in the wind and I wasnt missing many but my gong is 20 inches,,LOL

I put a SWFA fixed 20X 42mm on my Savage MKII TR 22LR mil/mil. Lots of good, cheap, fun practice. Plan to shoot to 200 yds eventually.

We got our first big snow of the season yesterday so doubt i will get to try out the scope just yet.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shaman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Look at the trajectory of the .22LR. Yes, a mil-dot system is very useful. For a .17hm2, maybe not. </div></div>

at 400 yards the dope for my 455 V 22LR is the same as the dope for my Savage 110 FCP-HS 338 Lapua at 1500 yards,

Bushnell 10X on my CZ American.
Great for learning how to use turrents and a Mil-Dot.

Coach

used too but I've gone back to my Beeman blue ribbon scope...I only shoot short range, no need for the MD.

I prefer the mil "hash" over the mil "dots" .
But well worth the $ for me

I use a SS 10 x 42 with Mildots for hold overs. I made a schematic of the Mildots and it is in a Data book that I keep for .22 Rimfire Precision Tac. Matches. It is easy to do, on Word...and I got the ballistic info from JB and the following article...When I tried it out...it was dead on...

http://www.6mmbr.com/rimfiretactical.html

If I can figure out how to upload a word file on here I will send it to you, or if you want, private email..

Hey guys...I am trying to upload some pictures via imgur. Can anyone walk me through it? All I am posting is the link. Thanks
Russ

Russ, so once you got your imgur image, click (within imgur) your image. A box will appear to allow you to select the type of link you want to use. Use message board and forums, get a copy of that link and bring it home. PM me if you still have problems.

Z30g6.jpg

I run a mil-dot also, saved me a little bit of money.

This is the hold over I use

[email:
dEMPJ.jpg
]
dEMPJ.jpg
[/email]

I am currently running a mil dot on my 22 "trainer" and am very happy with it. However with the mounting system I have (factory Sauer) having no cant I run out of adjustment around 150-170 yards. I am switching over to a 45moa canted base and a P4F ret in a PMII. I cant wait for that because I would much rather dial elevation and hold for wind, as I do with my center fire. Here is a pic of my current set up, and I will update it in a few months when my replacement scope for the TRG arrives (H2CMR) and that scope goes on the Sauer.

001-9.jpg

Ditto om many of the comments above. We often shoot 330 yards and mildot is really they only way.

I use a mil scope but in moa mode. Mine is MIL at 20x, but if I set it at 16x it goes into moa mode and each mark is 2 moa. I find this quite handy for ranging targets. It is quite possible to get within a couple of yards and make a first round hit if you know how big your target is.

I also have a couple of mil scopes on 22's. Mine are long-range handgun style and the mil subtension works pretty good for the 22 trajectory. I also add turret clicks to the mil reticle for longer range shooting. I like to maximize the system by using Burris Pos-Align rings with the offset inserts. More MOA can be gained by adding thicknesses of credit card shim to the top of the lower rear ring insert. Most credit card thickness is ~.025", and at 3.5" spacing will net an additional 25 MOA per shim.

I put this to work for awhile on a Ruger Charger using the el cheapo 3-9x Centerpoint I picked up at Wal-Mart for 25$ clearanced. The turret was repeatable, returned to zero and had about 70 MOA of turret travel in the optic. I was able to net about 400 yds. using the abovementioned system at 80 MOA useable reticle + turret. Good idea to measure the true subtension on the cheaper optics as this 4 unit "mil reticle" actually subtended 4.25 IPHY at 9x instead of 3.6 IPHY mil-std. these days. Here's a pic of the system before the Burris rings were installed [3rd shot connection on propane gas tank @ 225 yds. in some variable winds]. The reticle and an example of the shim system i use with a different optic/system--

DSCN0053.jpg

DSCN0055.jpg

DSCN0155.jpg

Similar to some other members here, I put a Weaver Tactical Grand Slam 3-10x mil/mil on a Savage FV-SR:

Bottom MilDot for 200m with max elevation dialed in, ordered a 25MOA base so I can shoot 300m.

I have an anchutz biathalon rifle that has a sporter stock on it, added the rimfire solutions picatanny rail and a 5x25x56 mil/mil scope to her
its amazing what a .22 can do

Best part is that it has the 10 round clips and the fortner action for great follow ups

Bill

I use the Burris rings with offset inserts and with a +20 in the back and a -20 in front I have a total of 40 minute taper,,which puts my 100 yard zero 12 Minutes from the bottom of the Bushnell Elite 3200 Straight 10X with mildot reticle..

this leaves me with 68 Minutes of elevation adjustments,which will just barely make 400 yards on the center crosshair,and still have enough adjustments to get down and zero at 25 yards..I can effectively zero from 25-400 yards without any holdover.

IMO this is as good cheap practice that you can get learning to shoot at range and in the wind,,since bullet prices have gone haywire ,this CZ 455 Varmint 22LR with a trigger I did myself with a diamond file and 800 stone and a spring from DIP that I cut 3 coils off and reground the end flat,it has zero creep and breaks at 8 ounces is the only gun I can afford to shoot,and honestly shooting at odd targets in the cattle lot at unknown ranges between 125 and 450 yards is the most "FUN" I have had shooting in a long time.

4102012265_zps74513145.jpg

Now I know what I need to do for my Bushnell Elite 3200 I am planning on installing on my savage MK 2. Thanks for sharing mrbig!