• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Anyone using BSF CF Barrels

Str8shot

Private
Minuteman
Mar 1, 2017
Colorado
Curious as to what anyone has with experience with this company and barrels?

Attachments

• EC307C7F-3A0D-4F52-83CD-E05DE59015D7.jpeg
    EC307C7F-3A0D-4F52-83CD-E05DE59015D7.jpeg
    163.6 KB · Views: 142
Curious as to what anyone has with experience with this company and barrels?
I just got a test barrel from BSF to replace my BA , both 18 in in 6.5 creed. have to wait to swap out account my work shop is not set up, just moved into the new condo a week ago and still unpacking BUT I can tell you that I will be 2lbs lighter , will post pics when I get swapped out but I am expecting 1/2 min. from the BSF and factory ammo. they are good people to deal with, just wish I didn't have to pay Wis state tax on it but that is what I get living only 90 miles from them LOL

Lol. I’m in greenfield. In the same boat. Vice is in storage right now. Got all the tools. Action rod, lapping tool etc. Just need a vice to hold it.

I used one for a minute. It was a 6.5 creed. It shot phenominally with hornady eldx factory. Roughly 1/2 moa to .75. The only drawback i experienced, anything over 5 rounds, and the groups opened way up. If i let it cool, it came right back in.

Hi,

So am I reading their website correct....
The carbon is only touching the barrel at both ends and center is completely open?
So essentially you are shooting with a super thin barrel to heat up but is supported on each end?

Sincerely,
Theis

I used one for a minute. It was a 6.5 creed. It shot phenominally with hornady eldx factory. Roughly 1/2 moa to .75. The only drawback i experienced, anything over 5 rounds, and the groups opened way up. If i let it cool, it came right back in.

Looks like they tout it as having superior heat dissipation than a normal CF wrapped barrel. They look interesting, but not if the groups open up after 5 shots.

Well hopefully soon I will have more data to report.
Can you detail what/how you were shooting? How much is way up? How long ago was this?

Well hopefully soon I will have more data to report.

Can you detail what/how you were shooting? How much is way up? How long ago was this?

I put it together, dont remember the exact setup. BSF was phenominal to deal with. I was shooting prone at 100 yards. If i shot slow the groups did well. If i shot strings of fire, they opened up at 5 to 7. By strings I mean; take a shot and get settled, then place the next shot. I tested a couple load workups, and the hornady eld x shot as good as any limited workup i did. This was last year, in the spring i beleive.

Reactions: Str8shot
I'm running a 24" 22Nosler 8-twist for a year now. Still sorting out the load development. So far I'm shooting 70gr RDFs with an average 5-shot group size of 0.75". Going to step it up to the 85gr RDFs and see what it can do.

Reactions: Str8shot
I put it together, dont remember the exact setup. BSF was phenominal to deal with. I was shooting prone at 100 yards. If i shot slow the groups did well. If i shot strings of fire, they opened up at 5 to 7. By strings I mean; take a shot and get settled, then place the next shot. I tested a couple load workups, and the hornady eld x shot as good as any limited workup i did. This was last year, in the spring i beleive.
Interesting. I will report back once I finish the install and start shooting it.

Picked up a test barrel, 18 inch in .223 Wylde. Haven't run it too much, the optic I had mounted on the AR15 was garbage. Once I get back I plan on doing an optic swap for something much better.

Hi,

So am I reading their website correct....
The carbon is only touching the barrel at both ends and center is completely open?
So essentially you are shooting with a super thin barrel to heat up but is supported on each end?

Sincerely,
Theis

Yes, basically the sleeve only touches at the most rearward, most forward and on either side of the gas block journal. They say it's tensioned to retain the same rigidity as a barrel of the same profile that's 100% metal. Barrel has a bull profile, and the gas block is a .936 inch.

Mine is .875 I don’t think they have a larger one. Should be putting mine on soon once I have time.
I'm pretty sure mine is .936. I remember having a somewhat difficult time procuring an adjustable gas block of the appropriate size that would clear the handguard I wanted to use, and that wasn't too expensive.

I'm pretty sure mine is .936. I remember having a somewhat difficult time procuring an adjustable gas block of the appropriate size that would clear the handguard I wanted to use, and that wasn't too expensive.
Must be the 14.5” with the pinned muzzle break? It’s the only one on the website at .936”. I forgot about that one.

Must be the 14.5” with the pinned muzzle break? It’s the only one on the website at .936”. I forgot about that one.
It's definitely longer than 14.5 inches. Looking at my emails, I purchased the barrel back in October of last year. They're offerings are probably different now than they were at that point. I know mine is a bull profiled barrel.

Interesting. Got a picture? Is it with a pinned muzzle break? BTW what color did you go with?

Interesting. Got a picture? Is it with a pinned muzzle break? BTW what color did you go with?
It doesn't have a pinned muzzle brake, it's 18 or 20 inches. I put a Lantac Dragon on the end. I went with a black carbon fiber, I think at the time they were only offering black and red. Also, mine has round vent holes, not oblong ones. I'll try and find a picture, but it might be a few days before I'm back stateside.

So, this is the barrel I have. As you can see from the first image, the gas block journal is massive. And that's a 15 inch rail on the upper in the second image.

Attachments

• 20171226_171017.jpg
    20171226_171017.jpg
    229.6 KB · Views: 121
  • 20180803_164253.jpg
    20180803_164253.jpg
    358.7 KB · Views: 121
Reactions: Str8shot and rcnut
Just started running a 16.5" 6.5CM on AR10, Silencerco Hybrib, and thermal for hog hunting. 140gr ELD
Shoots .5 groups at 100yards.
And big weight savings which is reason I went for it to lighten load.
Excellent customer service also.

Glad to hear it 357magag. Care to post some groups, preferably 5x5? No one has really done so yet for the BSF barrels, would be nice to see!

@357magag what sort of velocity do you get from that?

@rcnut what about your 18 inch? Do you have velocity numbers from that and what bullet weight? Thanks for your help.

Haven’t shot it yet. Area 419 brake.

Attachments

• A55067C1-24BB-4FD4-84DE-41C89F308384.jpeg
    A55067C1-24BB-4FD4-84DE-41C89F308384.jpeg
    268.6 KB · Views: 94
  • 54B7C7A4-65D2-45EA-AA9B-4FB188F7FEB5.jpeg
    54B7C7A4-65D2-45EA-AA9B-4FB188F7FEB5.jpeg
    191.1 KB · Views: 120
Well that looks damn nice, looking forward to the range report :).

Just swapped some glass around and one wound up on my BSF barreled AR, hopefully I'll get to the range in the next few days.