• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Range Report Anyone Using the Hornady 225 gr bthp's? Can you compare/contrast them to Berger 230 OTM's

Winmag Harvester

Private
Minuteman
May 23, 2014
I have 2-3 hundred Berger 230 grain OTM's and 230 gr Berger Hybrids. I'd like to hear from those of you have used the Hornady 225 bthp's. What kind of numbers are you seeing at ranges between 1000-1500 yards? Do you feel like the Hornady's offer comparable performance? How have they performed on game for you?

Thanks

I have run them before when they were still making them. They shot very well out of my 300WM. MOA or better out to 1500+ yds. Shot a deer, & an elk with them. Both complete pass throughs but at only about 300 yds. I run the Hybrid targets now with a better BC they fly flatter, but I had no complaints with the 225's. I haven't tried the OTMs but from what I can tell they are nearly identical to the 225's.

Thanks Bigwheels. I think I'm going to give these a try for a bit. I picked up 200 more today. I think they will perform well enough to get some meaningful practice without spending a fortune and burning up the Bergers I have. They seem to be harder to get in my area.

Last edited:
Bigwheels,

How well does the Berger Hybrid Target 230 Grain Bullet compare to the Hornady Match 225 Grain Bullet? I recall that you were getting some really good results with the Hornady bullet. Are your long distance groups comparable? Too bad the Hornady bullet is on hold. Any experience with the Berger 230 OTM bullet?
Thanks,
rxs0