• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Anyone using the Konus 20-60x100

chefcam864

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 2, 2013
Spartanburg, SC
I'm in the market for a spotting scope, but don't want to spend the money for a Kowa. I shoot F-TR, and that's what it will mostly be used for. I don't usually use a spotting scope while shooting, but I think I'm going to start, since a big spotter does seem to show the mirage better. Obviously, I'll be using it to score as well.

I would be interested in hearing anyone's experiences with Konus spotting scopes, the 20-60x100 in particular. I currently have a Nikon 15-45x60 with a straight eyepiece, which makes it almost useless for shooting comps.

Are the Konus scopes good? I have heard some good things about them, but haven't used one. The only thing I know I dont like about the 20-60x100 is that there is not a cover available for it. Other than that, I can't think of anything else that turns me off about it.

I have the Konus 20-60 x 80. For the price you can't really beat it.

Sent from Tapatalk on Galaxy Note 3.

I have the Konus 20-60 x 80. For the price you can't really beat it.

Sent from Tapatalk on Galaxy Note 3.

That's what I've been hearing. I hope it carries over to the 100mm scope. The big objective scopes I've looked through really seem to do well when rreading mirage.

Have you ever compared your scope side by side with a Kowa? I don't expect the Konus to be on par with the much more expensive Kowa, but I'm curious as to how they compare.

I picked that exact spotter up two months ago. It is my first spotter. 20x - 40x it resolves fairly well. 60x has some resolution issues. It is large and heavy so you will need a sturdy tripod. Field use without a designated individual as a spotter is a ridiculous thought. I would say it is worth the sub $300 I paid for it as I am not anything other than an occasional target shooter/hunter. If I get serious, I will be repacing it with $1k+ quality glass.

I have the 80mm from midway usa for 210 dollars and for the money its hard to beat. I would totally get it. Ive done many reviews on it with the hide. Just search for them.

I'm in the market for a spotting scope, but don't want to spend the money for a Kowa. I shoot F-TR, and that's what it will mostly be used for. I don't usually use a spotting scope while shooting, but I think I'm going to start, since a big spotter does seem to show the mirage better. Obviously, I'll be using it to score as well.

I would be interested in hearing anyone's experiences with Konus spotting scopes, the 20-60x100 in particular. I currently have a Nikon 15-45x60 with a straight eyepiece, which makes it almost useless for shooting comps.

Are the Konus scopes good? I have heard some good things about them, but haven't used one. The only thing I know I dont like about the 20-60x100 is that there is not a cover available for it. Other than that, I can't think of anything else that turns me off about it.

I have a 20X60X100 that works perfect for a square range. I have modified it somewhat for use in very bright light. I took a 56mm Camera Polarizer and mounted it into the cover that comes with the spotting scope. This helps with hit detection on a white painted steel,... if used correctly. This is not a field scope by any means, but great for pod, mirage reading, and general spotting. Great for low light spotting as well. Bought mine a long time ago and have never looked back. The 20X60X80 is just as good but the 100 is somewhat better when the light evades you.

FYI,... The Polarizer makes a big difference, once you learn to use it. I run different colored Polarizer's depending light, on some of my other glass as well, when doing target detection only. Caution,... some Polarizers will add parallax to a point that is beyond the scope adjustment ability, those I have modified to pop on, an off.

Last edited:
I've got the spotting scope in question. 60x is unusable and then 40x is a bit rough. 20x is beautiful on it but then again if you have a 20x power scope on your rifle... meh.

I've got the spotting scope in question. 60x is unusable and then 40x is a bit rough. 20x is beautiful on it but then again if you have a 20x power scope on your rifle... meh.

I had someone recommend trying out the scope and returning it if the resolution at 60x wasn't good. I've got a 20-60x80 and tried and returned two before getting the third one, which resolves .223 holes at 200 yards and even 300 on a white background when there's little mirage.

I've heard they're fragile and am very careful moving mine around. The first one I got had something wrong with the objective lens coating that made it flake off when cleaning it with the supplied mircofiber cloth. Even water dislodged the coating.

The plastic tripod is obviously not very stable in wind, but is good enough for square range work.

I'm very pleased for the $200 (plus whatever 2x return shipping cost) I spent at MidwayUSA.

I have the 60mm objective lens and am very pleased with the quality/value. My co-worker has the 100mm objective and likes it also but complained about how heavy and bulky it is.

I'd go for the 20-60x80 over the x100. I've had mine for two years and it has been worth every penny of the $210 I spent. I am able to spot 6.5mm holes routinely at 315yds with mine. It is mounted on a heavy Manfrotto tripod though.