• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Anyone using Visible wireless?

Sgtsideways

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Feb 7, 2021
Usa
I'm thinking about dropping the big carrier and going to visible. I want to have the ability to use it as a mobile hotspot for streaming and to also get rid of the satellite tv bill. So I was hoping some of you would be able to provide some insight to this carrier.

Visible wireless. That's a landline, that hotspot is a dial up modem.
Visible wireless is a service owned by Verizon. It runs on their towers and offers 4G LTE and 5G service. The coverage is similar to Verizon, but the cost is about 1/2. BUT, the biggest difference seems to be customer service. As in, there is essentially no customer service with Visible. That's pretty funny, because as a Verizon customer I thought Verizon was already operating on the no customer service model. I was, apparently, mistaken. Reviews that I could find are mixed. It seems that if you don't have any issues, you can save some money. But, that is a big IF...

Reactions: Sgtsideways
Visible wireless. That's a landline, that hotspot is a dial up modem.
Well, no. It's a cellular plan using the Verizon network infrastructure and uses your phone as a wireless hotspot.

For the OP:
You may experience data throttling during peak hours:
Untitled1.jpg

Other providers' terms that I have seen state that if you use over a certain amount of data (either daily or monthly), then you may experience slower speeds during peak usage times or after you've exceeded the (monthly) limit. I didn't find that on the Visible site so don't know how they are assessing usage.

And your hotspot is capped no matter what your network up/down limits are:
Untitled2.jpg

5Mbps down isn't a lot and may or may not even get you 1080 (or higher) streaming.

I'd say that this is more of a phone plan than a home internet plan.

It's a landline. that's why you're having customer support issues...no one there knows how to use that kind of phone...probably rotary dial.

If you don't need it to be able to be moved around, check and see if T-Mobile has their home internet available in your area.
(Quick check of your address on their website).

Thanks to MOST of you for the input. It appears to be a risky proposition, but I may try it for a trial period and see how the hotspot works.

Well, no. It's a cellular plan using the Verizon network infrastructure and uses your phone as a wireless hotspot.

For the OP:
You may experience data throttling during peak hours:
View attachment 7664820
Other providers' terms that I have seen state that if you use over a certain amount of data (either daily or monthly), then you may experience slower speeds during peak usage times or after you've exceeded the (monthly) limit. I didn't find that on the Visible site so don't know how they are assessing usage.

And your hotspot is capped no matter what your network up/down limits are:
View attachment 7664821
5Mbps down isn't a lot and may or may not even get you 1080 (or higher) streaming.

I'd say that this is more of a phone plan than a home internet plan.
That's the red flag. 5mps or less isn't great, so no 4k content for me and that isn't a big deal anyway. I will experiment with Pluto tv to see how that works and try to cut the cable. For 40 bucks a month with visible, (in visible), I figure to see whether it will work for me.

Join a VFD. Seriously. Then you qualify for FirstNet from AT&T as a first responder, unthrottled network with no data limits. ~$40/ month.

Puretalk is working well for me. Seems to use Verizon towers. Less than half what I was paying. I haven’t noticed any speed reduction…….

we tried straight talk pre paid for my wife when she first came to the country 2.5 years ago because she had a relatively new Samsung phone that she really liked. Bought the $50 sim card package from Walmart. Never got it to work, customer service was a joke, and we never could get a refund when it didnt work. Walmarts policy was no refunds on open pre-paid cellular, ok I understand that, but the response from Straight Talk was "just return it to walmart for a refund since it doesnt work"... After going back and forth with both I just chalked it up to a $50 fuck you charge.

Anyway... moral of the story "if it sounds to good to be true, it likely is"... So half the cost or less of real Verizon service... my guess is you also get about half the level of service which is what it sounds like above with a lot of data limit caps.

I have visible, but I really just use the phone for calls. Works just as well as Verizon did for that.

They have a 'group' feature that puts your bill at $25 per month. The group can be total strangers, tons of signup links posted on forums and social media to find one.

My internet on it has been just as fast as I got with Verizon, bit I'm 50 miles from any major population center so I doubt the tower that serves me is ever busy.

I did need customer service once, and honestly don't bother. If you can't find the solution on the internet consider it unsolvable.. my issue worked itself out in a week.