• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Anyone w/ a Spikes Tactical ST-22 upper?

garandman

Bad Advice for Free
Banned !
Minuteman
Nov 17, 2009
Huntington WV
Thinkin about getting one.

Anyone have one? Pics of how you set yours up?

Opinions?

I'm thinking about a 7" barrel. Will it funcion reliably both suppressed and unsuppressed?

Thanx!

Re: Anyone w/ a Spikes Tactical ST-22 upper?

I have one. It's a pretty slick upper, sometimes finicky on ammo it eats but keep it clean and fed it's favorite ammo and it does well. Very accurate. Only thing I wished it would do last round bolt holdback. The only 22 type AR I know does that right now is that new M&P AR22 but it is not the same as a dedicated 22 upper.

P3220446.jpg

drmark, the newest Blackdog mags have a taller feed ramp and will hold the bolt back after the last round.

Bulk pack Federal from Walmart runs like greased lightning in these. A friend of mine(Boltripper) ran about 500 through mine, supressed and unsupressed without failure. I tried CCI mimimags but they didn't feed worth shit!!!I called Spikes Tactical and they suggested the bulk Federal.

I didn't know that.... will have to check into it ASAP. As you said the 550 count Federal High Velocity bulk pack runs the best through mine as well. The Dynapoints in the picture above did pretty well but lately haven't been quite as good as they once were.

I had a brain fart, what I meant was the bolt will not stay back to facilitate insertion of a new full magazine then allow the bolt release to be pushed and close/feed the new round like on a standard AR. Not just hold the bolt back on the last round....

As soon as you remove the mag the bolt closes.

nice. how many rounds do the 22lr mags take these days? they sucked when they were as long as a 30rnd 223 and took 10 22lr.
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: drmarc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I had a brain fart, what I meant was the bolt will not stay back to facilitate insertion of a new full magazine then allow the bolt release to be pushed and close/feed the new round like on a standard AR. Not just hold the bolt back on the last round....

As soon as you remove the mag the bolt closes. </div></div>

Yep, that is the way it is on the dedicated uppers. I have the ST-22 and it shoots okay. Have had it back to Spikes for tuning and still get some stovepipes with Federal Bulk.

I'll have to say, my S&W 15-22 shoots almost as good as the ST-22. And the bolt does stay open after the last shot and the mag is removed.

I've got a M&P ordered for my live-in girlfriend cause she likes to shoot the Spikes but complains that it is too heavy....and it is...

Wished the M&P would have put a flash supressor on it, looks like one of the "ban years" rifles...the one I shot the other day never had a hiccup.

Speaking of that, what is a decent red dot or heads up sight at a reasonable price that's not a piece of shit. She likes the Eotech but I don't want to dedicate one to stay on that 22.

My S&W 15-22 does shoot as good as both the Spike's uppers I had. And I like the fact that the bolt does stay open after the last shot and the mag is removed.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: drmarc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Speaking of that, what is a decent red dot or heads up sight at a reasonable price that's not a piece of shit. She likes the Eotech but I don't want to dedicate one to stay on that 22. </div></div>

Cmore railway

SPOT has done me well http://www.mountsplus.com/miva/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=SPOT

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SkaerE</div><div class="ubbcode-body">nice. how many rounds do the 22lr mags take these days? they sucked when they were as long as a 30rnd 223 and took 10 22lr.
wink.gif
</div></div>

You'd be surprised. Lots of guys want the high capacity look even while living in ban states. BDM's original generation od 10rd mags were just 26rd mags with blocks molded in to limit capacity. As you note, the high capacity mags suck for bench work. After some customers cut down mags to the size of 20rd .223 mags, BDM began offering this size in 10rd for ban states and 15rd for free states, along with the big 26rd mags.

You see the same deal with WASR22s, where guys get all hot and bothered because they want AKT98 10rd mags (in a 30rd AK mag body) and not that"nasty plastic" deal that comes with the WASR22. BDM makes 30s for these, too.

I love mine.....runs on almost any ammo I feed it. Spikes recommends Fed Bulk Pack, however these are 22's and you still need to do some testing to see which ammo your particular gun likes. I believe it's that expectation which sours some people to the 22 upper/conversions.

IMG_3753.jpg

Wahoo - that exactly the look I'm going for.

What's with the gas block? I'm assuming its direct blowback.

I've got a Tactical Solutions upper on mine. It also likes the Federal Bulk pack ammo. I'm thinking of having them build me a new one with an intergral suppressor. Currently I am using the Tac 65 off one of my 10/22's I took a YHM handguard and cut it down on the lathe to right at the start of the muzzle threads. I just painted it with krylon and keep meaning to take it back off when I am doing some KG and spray it up nice.

I really like the 15 round BDM mags. I think they are just the right length for all around shooting. I found the larger mags to get in the way more then I liked for having all the younger people shooting off benches and such.

001.jpg

018.jpg

019.jpg

IMG_3318.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: garandman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wahoo - that exactly the look I'm going for.

What's with the gas block? I'm assuming its direct blowback.

</div></div>

The gasblock is there just to hold the handguards on
smile.gif

I've ran about 2000 rds though my Spikes ST22 upper with ZERO malfunctions, it's been more than impressive.

CMMG conversion with Spikes dedicated upper. I was running the CMMG conversion in my M4 upper till I got tired of the mess in my 223. I got one of Spikes adapter collars for the CMMG conversion and it runs great. I've put a couple thousand rounds through it and depending on the ammo, runs flawlessly. It REALLY HATES CCI stuff, but loves the Wally World Federal bulk packs.

HPIM5937.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SkaerE</div><div class="ubbcode-body">nice. how many rounds do the 22lr mags take these days? they sucked when they were as long as a 30rnd 223 and took 10 22lr.
wink.gif
</div></div>

I've got to run over to Blackdog one of these days, about 10 minutes from the house, and get one of their new 50 round drums. I watched them run through a full 50 round mag on full auto without a hiccup. It loads really easy with a finger assist that you pull down and drop in about three at a time. You can replace the head with a 10-22 head and use the same drum. Midway and Cheaper Than Dirt carry 'em now.

Love mine, but wish I could get it to be a bit more reliable. Definitely wants to be clean, and run wet.

Onyx

2512213769_d994fdd168_b.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Broncovan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">CMMG conversion with Spikes dedicated upper. I was running the CMMG conversion in my M4 upper till I got tired of the mess in my 223. I got one of Spikes adapter collars for the CMMG conversion and it runs great.</div></div>
Does the Spikes collar fit the CMMG kit?

Ought to. Fits my Ciener, a little jiggly. M1S or Ciener ought to fit better.
CMMG & Ciener look like they came out of the same machine shop.

Are there precise measures of the CMMG bolt around, so that I can match them with my Spikes collar?

The critical measure is notch length where the collar clips in.

Width is unimportant so long as the assembled bolt fits in the receiver (it will). Don't have the spike's where I can get at it.