• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Anyone with experience 1-11 twist?

coulthard_west

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 14, 2008
new orleans la
Right now I've been running a krieger heavy varmint barrel on my savage 10fp at 25" with a 1-10" twist and I was looking into the bartlien heavy varmint with a 1-11.25 twist. Has anyone used either or both. I would like some good feed back before I venture on. Thanks

Re: Anyone with experience

Well... You asked for people who have "used either or both". There may be few who have.
In general, both makers are very well known for making excellent barrels. Twist rates are mostly personal preference or dependent on intended use. Personally, I like 1:11.25"... FWIW.

By the way... I'm a Remington shooter.

i notice alot of tactical shooters shooting the 1-11" - 1-11.25" twist. is it that much better than 1-10" or do they prefer it so they can shoot the 155's?

It depends on what round you're using. I've got a 22" Krieger #8 contour with a 1:11.25" twist. I shoot 175 gr rounds and easily shoot 1/2 moa groups all day.

i shoot both 168 and 178 amax's through it. anything heavier and i would get a 300 win mag. now, i know the lapua 155 senars work in my barrel but would they work better with a slower twist?

I have a Bartlein 11.25 twist on my .308 now and it's very accurate. Can't go wrong with it. I shoot the 178AMAX and BTHPs and 168 AMAX through it.

M24 has/had 1:11.25 twist- shoots the 175SMK's very well

My 700 5R supposedly has 1:11.25 and also shoots 175 SMK's very well.

Can't say I have any experience with the brand you mentioned though.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DP425</div><div class="ubbcode-body">M24 has/had 1:11.25 twist- shoots the 175SMK's very well

Can't say I have any experience with the brand you mentioned though. </div></div>

The 5R has a 1:11.27" twist, as do most 5R barrels.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike Hull</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DP425</div><div class="ubbcode-body">M24 has/had 1:11.25 twist- shoots the 175SMK's very well

Can't say I have any experience with the brand you mentioned though. </div></div>

The 5R has a 1:11.27" twist, as do most 5R barrels. </div></div>

Okay... Two-hundredths of an inch... Not really very relivent I feel

Nothing wrong with the 1-10 twist. The faster twist will stabilize heavier bullets like the 190 but those are usually used in a Magnum chambering.

For a 308 shooting 175s I would stick to the 1-11.whatever. It will spit them out a little faster without as much pressure.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike Hull</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

The 5R has a 1:11.27" twist, as do most 5R barrels. </div></div>

I have read just about everywhere that the twist on the 700 5R is 11.25. The only conflicting info I have seen is an early review on Sniper Central where they claim it is 11.20. I have never seen it to be 11.27. Not that it makes a huge difference but the lack of consistent info is annoying.

I have an M24 and an LTR with a 1 in 10, the 20" LTR suprised me how far out it will reach accurately, the 1 in 10 adds to that I think.

I have 1-10, 1-11 and 1-12 .308 barrels, I shoot 175's exclusively and notice no difference whatsoever in accuracy. the .308 is very easy to load for and barrel twist is not as critical as other calibers.