• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Anyone with Teludyne barrel sleeve experience?

seanhagerty

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 10, 2010
Near Fort Leonard Wood
Seems like an idea worth investigating. Has anyone used this? If so, do you need to start over in load development? Does it really extend barrel life? I'd hate to install this and then burn out a barrel in a couple thousand rounds. How satisfied were you with the work Teludyne did for you?

Here's a quote from a review 3 years ago: "It is an unbelievable piece of technology that is going to change competition shooting and possibly even the gun industry forever." My Teludyne Straightjacket article is out - THR

The idea has been around forever, we're going to mess around with some sleeved stuff here just for fun and weight savings for our personal rifles but I doubt it will be a world changer.

Rifles Only stuck a Savage with that sleeve in a makeshift 2x4 stock and was hitting the 1k targets.

And I'm still trying to figure out what did it prove.?

Well it proved this much to me.

The rifle was in a shit stock ( made out of a 2x4) so it had nothing to keep it repeatable, like a good stock. It shot sub MOA at 100 yards, and then he was able to make a correction at hit steel at 1000 yards. So it showed me that it's repeatable.

I'd like to see more, really I want to know about barrel life.

The rifle was held in the "Stock aka 2x4" with duct tape which was secured around the barrel. There were no action / receiver screws used. This was the total opposite of a "free floated barrel" which everyone says is a must for accuracy. This supports the argument that the Teludyne Sleeve takes the barrel harmonics out of the equation.

Being roughly mounted into the "Stock aka 2x4" also goes against the argument that a perfect receiver / stock interface is required for accuracy.

The main "Teludyne Argument", everything done like bedding and free floating a rifle is just a "band aid" to try and address the real accuracy robbing issues which are Barrel Rigidity, Heating, and Harmonics.

Just my "un scientific" take on it all.

The rifle was held in the "Stock aka 2x4" with duct tape which was secured around the barrel. There were no action / receiver screws used. This was the total opposite of a "free floated barrel" which everyone says is a must for accuracy. This supports the argument that the Teludyne Sleeve takes the barrel harmonics out of the equation.

Being roughly mounted into the "Stock aka 2x4" also goes against the argument that a perfect receiver / stock interface is required for accuracy.

The main "Teludyne Argument", everything done like bedding and free floating a rifle is just a "band aid" to try and address the real accuracy robbing issues which are Barrel Rigidity, Heating, and Harmonics.

Just my "un scientific" take on it all.

Agreed.

I wanna know about increased velocity on it.

If you could get a 130berger or 140gn bullet out of a 260 doing close to 3100fps with no extra recoil and in a short action.

That would be pretty dang sweet for match shooting.

I wanna know about increased velocity on it.

If you could get a 130berger or 140gn bullet out of a 260 doing close to 3100fps with no extra recoil and in a short action.

That would be pretty dang sweet for match shooting.

There's no reason why it would have any influence whatsoever on muzzle velocity, since it's just an addition onto and over the existing barrel...not a replacement in and of itself (although they do come with the little thread-on optional muzzle brake, which I concede has some finite theoretical influence on muzzle velocity).

There's no reason why it would have any influence whatsoever on muzzle velocity, since it's just an addition onto and over the existing barrel...not a replacement in and of itself (although they do come with the little thread-on optional muzzle brake, which I concede has some finite theoretical influence on muzzle velocity).

Some people have been reporting velocity gains due to the decrease of barrel whip. Some quite a bit.

I think Teludyne would do better if their reps wouldn't come across like used cars salesmen slinging snake oil. The video of Jacob shooting it is probably the best thing that has happened to them since they started marketing it quiet honestly.

Although, I think you could do the same 2x4 trick with a Proof barrel or even a standard heavy barrel if you taped it in and re-adjusted the zero'd as shown in the video as they had to deal with the POI shift seen in the first shot to get it back on target. In fact Jacob has an old RO video where he intentionally shoots with his barrel resting on a fence to demonstrate and note the POI shift caused by the change in harmonics and the shift is similar, about a inch or so from original just as seen in the teludyne video.

I think people are getting excited about seeing it in a 2x4 because its not something we typically see. However, if you've ever spent any time in 3rd world countries, its not uncommon to see homemade stocks on actions held in place with bailing wire and every other conceivable "mother of necessity" method and the users are able to use the weapon accurately to put food on their table. So while still noteworthy, I still chalk this one up to being a neat trick/gimmick that I think anyone reading this could probably reproduce with their own rifle.

i think people are getting excited about seeing it in a 2x4 because its not something we typically see. However, if you've ever spent any time in 3rd world countries, its not uncommon to see homemade stocks on actions held in place with bailing wire and every other conceivable "mother of necessity" method and the users are able to use the weapon accurately to put food on their table. So while still noteworthy, i still chalk this one up to being a neat trick/gimmick that i think anyone reading this could probably reproduce with their own rifle.

this!

I think people are getting excited about seeing it in a 2x4 because its not something we typically see. However, if you've ever spent any time in 3rd world countries, its not uncommon to see homemade stocks on actions held in place with bailing wire and every other conceivable "mother of necessity" method and the users are able to use the weapon accurately to put food on their table. So while still noteworthy, I still chalk this one up to being a neat trick/gimmick that I think anyone reading this could probably reproduce with their own rifle.

The gimmick deal breaker is that they aren't putting food on the table from 1000 yards! Yea anybody can use a action held on by bailing wire and put the muzzle to a goats head... WTF We are always sold bill of goods that it takes XYZ to make a rig accurate? Something new comes along and "no way that can happen, cause it doesn't say GAP....." We'll just have to see........

The gimmick deal breaker is that they aren't putting food on the table from 1000 yards! Yea anybody can use a action held on by bailing wire and put the muzzle to a goats head... WTF We are always sold bill of goods that it takes XYZ to make a rig accurate? Something new comes along and "no way that can happen, cause it doesn't say GAP....." We'll just have to see........

I think you're missing the point. Any quality action in that same caliber can make that shot, the fact that its in a 2x 4 is irrelevant and is a gimmick and not a quantifier nor an indicator of the products capability. I've had this same conversation with the folks from Teludyne and they agree that it doesn't show the products capabilities but people are distracted by the fact that it's in a 2x4. So again, I haven't seen anything from an average, non biased person on the merits of the product. To date, all the testimonials they have put out and that I have seen have been from them or those in the industry. Call me jaded but I tend to take testimonials from those in the business of selling things in the industry with a grain of salt until such a time that people who have paid with their own money for a product are saying the same thing or I have used it for myself. So yes, we will have to see, until then I am not sold on it.

That 2x4 trick reminds me of when we first started building PCs in the early 90s. I stuck one together on a piece of plywood and everyone thought it was the most amazing thing. It worked fine for awhile, it just wasn't something I'd rely on. And it really wasn't that amazing.

L

Ill have one in my hands soon. It's an AR upper. I'm going to shoot a group at 100 them dump a 30 round mag though it on an m16 lower, then reshoot that group.

I'll get it all on video.

I think Teludyne would do better if their reps wouldn't come across like used cars salesmen slinging snake oil. The video of Jacob shooting it is probably the best thing that has happened to them since they started marketing it quiet honestly.

Although, I think you could do the same 2x4 trick with a Proof barrel or even a standard heavy barrel if you taped it in and re-adjusted the zero'd as shown in the video as they had to deal with the POI shift seen in the first shot to get it back on target. In fact Jacob has an old RO video where he intentionally shoots with his barrel resting on a fence to demonstrate and note the POI shift caused by the change in harmonics and the shift is similar, about a inch or so from original just as seen in the teludyne video.

In the video they did not have to deal with POI shift. If they did his adjustment would have missed the mark. He dialed what he thought the dope should be for 1000 yards and took a shot. Adjusted his dope to correct and had an impact.

The attached review has been my experience to date. Let me know if I can answer any questions.

Russ @ DTM

Attachments

• SJBSx2.pdf
    942.8 KB · Views: 41
In the video they did not have to deal with POI shift. If they did his adjustment would have missed the mark. He dialed what he thought the dope should be for 1000 yards and took a shot. Adjusted his dope to correct and had an impact.

Yes they did, the shooter(Jacob) took a sighter shot ,which was off, to adjust for the barrel harmonics being different in the 2 x 4. Once he adjusted the zero, he was on POA/POI. No different than switching a barreled action from one stock to another.

That's incorrect. He was just adjusting his dope. He did not have a known dope for the gun at 1000 yards.

I'll have this upper soon enough. I'll see what tests I can do to see how this barrel acts different than my S2W Daniel defense barrel.

I think you're arguing semantics but lets forgo that completely and address the main issue, which is "does this product do what it claims?" Shooting it in a 2 x 4 for a few shots surely isn't indicative of it's capabilities nor the ones the company promotes,so I don't see how that whole scenario is anything more than a novelty. The data and paper that Russ posted above is far more scientifically and proof driven then the 2 x 4 video.

However, as stated, I am skeptical of data such as this until such a time that it can be proven valid by another source or by myself. And that is solely based on my dealings as a military man, dealing with companies products and data/testimonials they provide to support their products claims. It's the reason why tests are still run even after the technical data is submitted by companies when a product is being evaluated.

I am hopeful that this product does deliver as claimed, I am just waiting to see how it performs in the field when people like you and I and the average joe are using it and things like production and quality can be better assessed.

I think you're arguing semantics but lets forgo that completely and address the main issue, which is "does this product do what it claims?" Shooting it in a 2 x 4 for a few shots surely isn't indicative of it's capabilities nor the ones the company promotes,so I don't see how that whole scenario is anything more than a novelty. The data and paper that Russ posted above is far more scientifically and proof driven then the 2 x 4 video.

However, as stated, I am skeptical of data such as this until such a time that it can be proven valid by another source or by myself. And that is solely based on my dealings as a military man, dealing with companies products and data/testimonials they provide to support their products claims. It's the reason why tests are still run even after the technical data is submitted by companies when a product is being evaluated.

I am hopeful that this product does deliver as claimed, I am just waiting to see how it performs in the field when people like you and I and the average joe are using it and things like production and quality can be better assessed.

I gotcha, and I'm not trying to prove anything for them.

I will post results and see if this system lives up to the claims.

If there is anything you'd like to see let me know I'll be glad to try and include it to my review.

If there is anything you'd like to see let me know I'll be glad to try and include it to my review.

Actually, if its possible. I'd like to see what the results are from your barrel when its shot in its stock configuration and hot enough that you see POI shift and how many rounds/how fast it takes to see that and how much of a shift is seen. Then compare it to the same amount of rounds/shots and time when the barrel has the SJ on it to see if there is any significantly quantifiable amount of improvement from when it was a stock barrel to the performance once it is a SJ treated barrel. Also weight of your stock barrel and weigh of it when it has the SJ on it. Thats it for starters. Thanks for asking BTW.

Actually, if its possible. I'd like to see what the results are from your barrel when its shot in its stock configuration and hot enough that you see POI shift and how many rounds/how fast it takes to see that and how much of a shift is seen. Then compare it to the same amount of rounds/shots and time when the barrel has the SJ on it to see if there is any significantly quantifiable amount of improvement from when it was a stock barrel to the performance once it is a SJ treated barrel. Also weight of your stock barrel and weigh of it when it has the SJ on it. Thats it for starters. Thanks for asking BTW.

Well, I'm going to be using a full SJ upper, and just comparing it to my 18 inch Daniel Defense S2W barrel. They are not going to be SJing my barrel.

My plans were to do some mag dumps in both and see if accuracy or POI changes more in one that the other. Then I was also going to rest it up against things, lastly I wanted to test how the mirage was toned down. If that's a success, I'd really consider one for the .223 that we test ammo with. That lil guy gets hot after multiple 10 shot group strings.

I am in no way qualified to give opinions or expert advice/feedback but i do have a 6.5CM in a teludyne barrel and absoluley love it and it is accurate as all get out and i have no issues shooting long stings of fire and negative accuracy affects.. I know that adds nothing especially because i didn't own the barrel before it was wrapped by Telludyne but it is still the most accurate gun i have owned/shot to date. I also just sent off my 7wsm barrel that was done by SAC to get wrapped and have some data on it to compare to so we'll see what happens when i get it back. in no way am i capabale of doing the test that RussW1911 did (i work to much) but i am interested to see what comes of it and if there are noticeably differences init . I too am most interested in the barrel life cause if i can get4-6 hell if i can even get2-3 times the barrel life it is worth every penny even if it shoots the exact same as when i sent it off.
Just my .02 that's actually worth .0002

L
BBR.jpg

Browning BBR in 7mag. Let me know if you want the full story but I'll tell you now its nothing less than absolutely impressive.

Ok. So I was looking to contact Teludyne because I've got a new model 70 that I was thinking about Straight jacketing and as I was searching saw this site/thread. I saw that the thread was old but didnt know the OP bugged out. I've perused the sight before but never joined. I used to be over at Mel's Sniper Central. Probably still registered if its still in existence.

Reactions: Huskydriver
Ok. So I was looking to contact Teludyne because I've got a new model 70 that I was thinking about Straight jacketing and as I was searching saw this site/thread. I saw that the thread was old but didnt know the OP bugged out. I've perused the sight before but never joined. I used to be over at Mel's Sniper Central. Probably still registered if its still in existence.
I happened across TTI on YouTube and also ended up here. Are they even still in business?