• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Anything better than PST Gen2 2-10x32 for under $1k?

blue_ridge

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Dec 17, 2009
Eastern NC
I’m close to buying this scope for a shorty 308. It want It to be capable of close up shooting, say a running deer at 25 yards but also able to drop it onto a tripod or bipod for a 600 yard shot. Pretty typical 308 bolt action stuff.
Requirements: Under $1k used, MAGNIFICATION - min 2.5X and 8X or higher. Mil/Mil. SFP is ok, FFP a plus if the reticle works well at all magnifications. Prefer a shorter scope, doesnt have to be compact, but I don’t want a 14-15” long scope.

1-8X or 1-10X would be ideal, but the prices for these are much higher for what you get and performance is a huge compromise. Seems the 1-6X scopes are better performers. I think a 2-10 would be a better fit than 1-6X but you could maybe change my mind. I can shoot 2x with both eyes open on moving targets just not as well as with 1X.

I’ve been researching:
PST Gen2 2-10x32
PST Gen1 2.5-10x44
Credo 2-10x36
Credo 1-8
Credo 2.5-15 (have this, like it, but 13.9”, only 2.5X and SFP)
PA GLX 1-8
PA GLX 2.5-10
Burris XTR2 1-8
Vudu 1-8
SwampFox 2-12 Kentucky

I‘m looking for advice and opinions based from people who have used these scopes and can speak to how they compare to each other. I believe the Vortex PST checks all the boxes, but am concerned with some disappointing reviews I’ve read. They could be from glass snobs, but I also had the Vortex Razor HD LH 2-10 a couple years ago and it was mediocre compared to Trijicon and Burris scopes I Have.

Last edited:
Reactions: RKBArmory
SWFA has a lightweight 2.5x10 also but idk if mil mil is an option
I'm using the s tac on my stand rifles have both an moa and a mil version. Mill version has been better to shoot low light/low power when not illuminated
https://sightron.com/collections/ffp-riflescopes/products/s-tac-ffp-3-16x42-zero-stop
There are lots of options in the low power hunting class and the straight tube ar type optics that fit your criteria.
Used lrts 3x12 will also fill the need very well if you find one

@FredHammer

Any issues with the lack of a parallax adjustment?

Probably waiting until ShotShow to actually look at optics, but I’m finding a need for a 2-10 FFP something.

The review by C_Does on Youtube shows it to be fairly lackluster at 9-10x.

@FredHammer

Any issues with the lack of a parallax adjustment?

Probably waiting until ShotShow to actually look at optics, but I’m finding a need for a 2-10 FFP something.

The review by C_Does on Youtube shows it to be fairly lackluster at 9-10x.
Side parallax is really nice to have, but not featured on these 2-10 models. There seems to be no more parallax with this scope as other 1-6, 1-8, 2-10s I've owned/shot. I'll be headed out today to really focus (pun intended) on this aspect. Compare to my 2-10X42 VX5HD. 9-10X on the Credo looks fine to me. No darkening or sight pic degradation.

C_Does provides a thorough review of the Credo. Here’s the 2nd review after Trijicon Warranty resolved his issue.

Heres another review he does of the PST GEN1 where he praises it above the Credo which costs double.

I personally draw the line at 2.5X and prefer 2X or below because for my eyes, I can put the gun up and down, two eyes open, without ever taking eyes off the target with 2X scopes, but not so well with 3x. 1X obviously is the easiest.

I’m adding the Swampfox 2-12 Kentucky Long to my list based on a couple rave reviews I’ve read implying this is the best bang for the buck scope that fits my criteria. I can’t tell if they are a Chinese company who opened an American office to focus on this market OR if they are an American company who manufactures in China (which would make them about the same as Primary Arms). All that said, I prefer products that have no connection to China and will only consider them if they are an American company who provides jobs and money into the American economy.

SWFA has a lightweight 2.5x10 also but idk if mil mil is an option
I'm using the s tac on my stand rifles have both an moa and a mil version. Mill version has been better to shoot low light/low power when not illuminated
https://sightron.com/collections/ffp-riflescopes/products/s-tac-ffp-3-16x42-zero-stop
There are lots of options in the low power hunting class and the straight tube ar type optics that fit your criteria.
Used lrts 3x12 will also fill the need very well if you find one
I have been a big fan of almost everything SWFA makes under their SS banner - EXCEPT for the 2.5-10 lightweight. I ran it very briefly on a lightweight AR and had a few issues when shooting into sunlight. This is the only scope I have ever had that would completely wash out, as in white-out, no shot possible. I have one I keep in a drawer and will never put on a gun that does anything I care about.

Vortex had (but has discontinued) a 1.5-8x32 (I think) that I run on a mid-range AR and love, for the money, it is a great scope. If you can find one, buy it.

Tract has a 1-8 I am playing with and like so far, but don't love. I probably would like it more if it weren't side-by-side with a Vortex gen2 razer 1-6, which I still very much enjoy shooting.

If looking for something more hunting-focused, the answer tilts one way; if some tactical focus, it tilts far in the other way...

I'd say stop being a pussy, save a little longer and buy the March 1.5-15x42, it is titties.

Titties, I say!

A running deer at 25yards is iron sights or red dot type of stuff tbh. Of what you list I'd look at the credo line.
Maybe I’m strange, but I used to hunt with a Leupold 1-4x that I felt was better than open sights in the hardwoods at 1x. Feel I can kind of do that with my Credo 2.5-15 set at 2.5. Now just looking for something like that which goes up to 8x+ with mil reticle for some steel plate fun.

C_Does provides a thorough review of the Credo. Here’s the 2nd review after Trijicon Warranty resolved his issue.

Heres another review he does of the PST GEN1 where he praises it above the Credo which costs double.

I personally draw the line at 2.5X and prefer 2X or below because for my eyes, I can put the gun up and down, two eyes open, without ever taking eyes off the target with 2X scopes, but not so well with 3x. 1X obviously is the easiest.

My assessment of the Credo (the warranty return credo) is the same as C_Does. I don't like the turrets on the Vortex comparison scope. The FOV/sight picture looked smaller, more tube like on the Vortex. I'd say the only thing the Vortex scope has over the Credo is the side focus.

I posted in another thread about the the very same 8-10X reticle focus relationship. I described the reticle focus as having two nodes. The node where both the sight picture and reticle are sharp is only 1.5 turns out from hard stop against the main tube. I set it too far out, and while the reticle was sharp, I looked at targets at 1000yds and I lost the sharpness of the sight picture. So, if a guy knows this, drama might be averted. LOL.

My Leupold VX5HD 2-10X42 shines above the Credo in glass and has that HD glass depth of colors that always impresses me when I look through it. The Credo has the typical Japanese bright glass with clear, but more "matte"? look about it. However, the Leupold is a duplex reticle, where the Credo reticle is infinitely more usable at long range.

Last edited:
My Leupold VX5HD 2-10X42 shines above the Credo in glass and has that HD glass depth of colors that always impresses me when I look through it. The Credo has the typical Japanese bright glass with clear, but more "matte"? look about it. However, the Leupold is a duplex reticle, where the Credo reticle is infinitely more usable at long range.
I hunted and shot guns with mostly Leupold scopes from my teenage years up through about 30. Since then I’ve learned to use and appreciate shooting mil/mil setups. To me, it is ridiculous and a shame that Leupold is so stuck in the 90’s with their MOA scopes and inexplicable devotion to the duplex reticle. Even with their $2000+ MK5 they were many years behind the rest in developing a viable FFP, MIL/MIL PRS scope. Thankfully Vortex, Trijicon, Burris, Bushnell, Primary, Eotech, Sig are all happy to fill that void for hunters and competitors.

I have been a big fan of almost everything SWFA makes under their SS banner - EXCEPT for the 2.5-10 lightweight. I ran it very briefly on a lightweight AR and had a few issues when shooting into sunlight. This is the only scope I have ever had that would completely wash out, as in white-out, no shot possible. I have one I keep in a drawer and will never put on a gun that does anything I care about.

Vortex had (but has discontinued) a 1.5-8x32 (I think) that I run on a mid-range AR and love, for the money, it is a great scope. If you can find one, buy it.

Tract has a 1-8 I am playing with and like so far, but don't love. I probably would like it more if it weren't side-by-side with a Vortex gen2 razer 1-6, which I still very much enjoy shooting.

If looking for something more hunting-focused, the answer tilts one way; if some tactical focus, it tilts far in the other way...

I'd say stop being a pussy, save a little longer and buy the March 1.5-15x42, it is titties.

Titties, I say!
I had that white-wash thing happen with a Sigtron scope. It'll certainly bum a dude out.

Reactions: Quintus
I hunted and shot guns with mostly Leupold scopes from my teenage years up through about 30. Since then I’ve learned to use and appreciate shooting mil/mil setups. To me, it is ridiculous and a shame that Leupold is so stuck in the 90’s with their MOA scopes and inexplicable devotion to the duplex reticle. Even with their $2000+ MK5 they were many years behind the rest in developing a viable FFP, MIL/MIL PRS scope. Thankfully Vortex, Trijicon, Burris, Bushnell, Primary, Eotech, Sig are all happy to fill that void for hunters and competitors.
Amen. It's like Leupold is holding back options on a lot of their scopes only to charge a premium for those qualities in the higher end offerings. I'm glad the other manufacturers you listed obliged.

I've had vo pst g2 2-10x it was heavier with darker glass, but the show stopper for me was tunneling below 3x meaning the image just got smaller, u didnt get any fov.

NxS 2.5-10x mil-r great scope SFP, wouldnt have sold it except a buddy asked for it. Over $1k though.

XTR2 1.5-8x
Had this one for quite a while. It worked fine except the circle dot illum obsured the target too much in low light.

credo 2-10X ... almost perfect, but illum not DLB, which was a surprise.

== more expensive options

L&S mk4 2.5-8x tmr
SFP but a great dialer, tiny and light
These keep getting more and more expensive.

Nx8 1-8x dmx
small light, great reticle (same as atacr 1-8x)

Last edited:
Reactions: blue_ridge
I’m adding the Swampfox 2-12 Kentucky Long to my list based on a couple rave reviews I’ve read implying this is the best bang for the buck scope that fits my criteria. I can’t tell if they are a Chinese company who opened an American office to focus on this market OR if they are an American company who manufactures in China (which would make them about the same as Primary Arms). All that said, I prefer products that have no connection to China and will only consider them if they are an American company who provides jobs and money into the American economy.
I would like you to get that SwampFox and report back to us! ;) Other than the misaligned turrets, looks like a winner.

I have the 1st gen Vortex 2.5-10x32 and although I like it, the crosshairs are pretty much useless on the low end if you are doing anything dynamic.
I bought the PA 2-10 with Griffin mil reticle and it checks all the boxes for me.

I have the 1st gen Vortex 2.5-10x32 and although I like it, the crosshairs are pretty much useless on the low end if you are doing anything dynamic.
I bought the PA 2-10 with Griffin mil reticle and it checks all the boxes for me.
I've got one of those scopes and find the reticle is perfectly usable at 2.5x. Infact it's probably one of the best (most visible) low mag reticles I've used.

Suprised you haven't mentioned the Athlon Ares UHD 1-10... glass is super clear for the money and I'd take it over the PST all day..

Hit up Doug I'm sure he has a killer deal for you

SWFA 3-9 HD is another option for under $1k but minus parallax adjustment.
Plus some tunneling between 3-4x, no factory zero stop, and it never being in stock. It could definitely use some updates, hopefully SWFA has good things planned for 2024 like their site indicates.

Reactions: BCP
Despite already having a Credo 2.5-15 on one rifle, I’m leaning against the Credo 2-10 because there‘s no parallax adjustment. I previously had a Vortex Razor LH 2-10 and the lack of parallax was the reason I sold it. Focus at certain ranges drove me nuts.

Im going to try a Swampfox Kentucky Long 2-12 because I found one used. I’ll compare it to my Credo 2.5-15, XTR3 3.3-18 and whatever else makes sense and report what I find.

Last edited:
Reactions: FredHammer