• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

ANZAC day

hocko

Private
Minuteman
Apr 19, 2010
Australia
To those that dont know April 25 is recognised as ANZAC day in Australia and New Zealand.

April 25th marks the anniversary of the first major military action fought by Australian and New Zealand forces during the First World War.

The Australian and New Zealand forces landed on Gallipoli on 25 April, meeting fierce resistance from the Ottoman Turkish defenders. What had been planned as a bold stroke to knock Turkey out of the war quickly became a stalemate, and the campaign dragged on for eight months. At the end of 1915 the allied forces were evacuated, after both sides had suffered heavy casualties and endured great hardships. Over 8,000 Australian soldiers had been killed. News of the landing on Gallipoli had made a profound impact on Australians at home, and 25 April soon became the day on which Australians remembered the sacrifice of those who had died in the war.

....."On the day in Aus that we remember our fallen, hold your head up with pride. For you have walked in the foots prints of those that have died. So i will raise a glass to you and i would like to confide, that i am very proud of those of you, that have stood by my side.."

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old;
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.

LEST WE FORGET

Re: ANZAC day

From this day forward I will always remember this as it is also my only nephew's birthday.

Sam will be 12 this ANZAC day! I'll tell him about it as well!

Thanks Hocko

I've got some good friends in Australia, who I'm sure will be celebrating ANZAC day, if they're not off killing bad guys somewhere. That would be an even better way to celebrate it I think.

Fitting tribute Hocko. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Too few Americans know much about ANZAC day, or their own history for that matter either. Had an uncle in WWI that would talk to me about it. He got gassed and eventually died from lung complications as a result.

Thanks for the support guys, Its always a moving day. I find it strange that there are some people in the community that dont care..but I guess we fight so they dont have to.. It was a nice change to have the day off and not be on call or working.

Stay safe

A great thing about ANZAC Day is that you'll see veterans everywhere - waiters in a restaurant, barristas in cafes, clerks at the cash register - all sporting their military service medals.