• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Netflix World War II: From the Frontlines

LuckyDuck

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
  • Nov 4, 2020
    Pennsylvania
    I just finished this 6 episode series and think very highly of it. It's probably the best historical documentary on the topic that I've seen since "They Shall Not Grow Old" (albeit that covers WWI). I'm not sure what other folks experienced but while I was growing up it seemed like the one small "coal town" in PA where my father grew up in singlehandedly fought WWII and I had the privilege to meet & know many of those veterans. I recall when the movie "Saving Private Ryan" came out, I had an opportunity to interview a 1st wave D-Day veteran and in my youth foolishly squandered the honor of talking with the gentleman about his experiences by continually referencing the movie that had just been released.

Throughout the 90's, I had the pleasure of attending annual Veteran's banquets at the American Legion with my father & grandfather in that small Coal Town and drinking Coke while those WWII vets pounded drinks like "7&7" and never talking about their experiences from what I remember but rather a sense of "we did what we needed to" type of mantra. These folks were products of the Great Depression and some of them were real "characters" because of that. It's been years since I've thought of it but one of them used to sit in their house naked, not because they were nudist per say, but because they didn't see the point in "wearing out perfectly good clothes sitting at home". It's comical to me now but at the time I thought that fellow at least, was a bit "off his rocker". Maybe the majority of them were in hindsight, they didn't seem to complain but holy smokes did they ever drink. Of course they've all since passed away and now the Vietnam folks are as well but they didn't have the opportunity to share their contributions like the WWII crew did. I'd be remiss if I didn't mention the Korea War Vets (still looking for a solid documentary about the "Forgotten War"). A couple of years ago I was able to spend a few hours with a Korea War Vet at the American Legion and resembled something like the "People Are Crazy" song if I were to be honest.

Guess the takeaway from the documentary, as well as why I wanted to discuss it at least, is I'm sure many of us here have the same memories & experiences and thought it'd be appropriate to honor their stories by keeping them still flowing and not resorting to waiting for either Memorial or Veteran's Day to share the stories as a passing glance.

Anyway, I'm derailing my own post- if anyone else appreciates WWII documentaries I'd highly recommend checking this one out (as well as the WWI documentary "They Shall Not Grow Old").

-LD

Reactions: rhsc
    Sounds like it's a good series, but because it's on the 'woke' Netflix- I won't see it.

Reactions: 232593
    Sounds like it's a good series, but because it's on the 'woke' Netflix- I won't see it.
    While I understand your sentiment- I just wanted to humbly suggest that you may be doing yourself a disservice by not watching the series to spite 'woke' Netflix (again no judgement here) but as an alternative... if you have the ability to watch it, maybe your view could fly in the face of their algorithm with programing to lend support of what you consider worth watching and right that ship? It all goes back to the almighty dollar I suppose.

-LD

I'd like to see it- but only if it makes it to some other source.

Did they cast Churchill as a black transsexual?

Did they cast Churchill as a black transsexual?
    Hah, I totally get where you're going with this but no they did not. Much like "They Shall Not Grow Old", they used a lot of original footage to describe how WWII progressed which I've never personally seen before. Most of it is colorized so that may offend the purists but in my humble opinion I think it was well done.

-LD

Folks- check it out if you have a Netflix subscription- my wife has been on a "Golden Girls" tear lately so I have to phrase this in that context as "picture this"- You're 18 years old and it's only 1942. The Naval Base in Hawaii which was our stronghold for the Pacific side was bombarded by the "Japs" ... you heard this over the radio..... The next day everyone you've ever knew is lining up to enlist in one branch or another. You learn that you don't get a choice and you're told whether you're USMC, Army, Army Airfare, or Navy- you don't have a choice because he world is at war. Patriotism still runs strong- many of those drafted believed that it was their duty to enlist- leaving their careers & spouses behind along with their children with no end date in mind. I know that the majority of you gets it but for the minority- the below is the graveyard near Normandy France for our service folks- by all means zoom in and notice that the color change you initially saw was because of the lines of headstones...

1708927642772.png

You don't need to wait until the end or May or early November- this is what freedom & absolute sacrifice looks like. I think that most will get it but for the rest- maybe this will sink in and bring you back to the "light" side.

-LD