• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ap for measuring distance to target?

Jayhawkhuntclub

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jan 26, 2019
I'm looking for an iphone ap to measure the distance between two points (rifle and target). I know these aren't perfect, but if I can get something that can get me close at a mile, I would be happy. Any suggestions?

I use one called GPS Tape on an Android device. Not sure if they make an IPhone version but could look for it. Its pretty basic but does the job and doesn't switch to miles past 1000 yards like some.

I use "Measure Map" It has a blue logo kind of like the UN. Ive had a lot of luck using it on android and its free. Ive used it on ranges and golf courses. You use your location but can also choose two points away from your phone.

I have "Measure Map" and it works as intended. You can also do something similar on a computer using Google maps

I can measure in google maps on my PC. BUT it's hard to know what points you're measuring if you are out in a pasture or bean field without land marks.

Thanks for all the replies. Any more?

Just to be clear, I'm looking for an app that allows me to take two lat/long positions and determine the distance using GPS. Not something that requires me to identify my positions on an areal photo and measure that.

I'm looking for an iphone ap to measure the distance between two points (rifle and target). I know these aren't perfect, but if I can get something that can get me close at a mile, I would be happy. Any suggestions?
Check out BallisticARC. A free version can be had. Using a map the ap lets you drop mark your position and target postions. It then provides distance, elevation, etc. it's a full blown ballistic calculator too. But the free version mapping capability could fit your needs.

OnX, Basemap, Google Earth. The limitation will be the accuracy of your phone’s GPS. IME, any marked position with a phone will be within about 25-feet compared to survey grade GPS. Depending on how that error stacks, you could be off by 15 or 20 yards, which would make a difference at a mile.

A quality LRF will likely have a smaller error potential.

If the bean field is yours, and you’re serious, contact a local land surveyor. Depending on where you live, it may only be a few hundred dollars for a surveyor to set hub & tack or lathe at 100 yard intervals. You could pound rebar after the fact to save on cost. You’d then have set distances down to the millimeter. Just a thought.

For anything my lrf won’t range I use google earth but most my targets are rocks so I have land marks. When signal is not available I use my garmin gps. Drop a point walk back to firing position and measure distance between the 2.

Google earth works pretty well to get you a ballpark.
E7833D37-84BF-4581-847D-0FDCDF5FE6F0.jpeg

Reactions: jasent