• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Hunting & Fishing APA in Africa

Re: APA in Africa

110kdva.jpg

Flight prep 101

sb7cqg.jpg

1zsyep.jpg

So far we are still traveling. Dallas to Amsterdam to Kilimanjaro. We catch a bush plane this afternoon for a 2 hour ride to camp.
For now we sit by the fire and drink some of the best coffee in the world. In the background you can barely make out Mt. Kilimanjaro from my back door.
When we head out to the bush camp we should fly over it.

Have fun.

I'm in the process of planning my 6th trip for next year. A 10 day Buffalo hunt in Mozambique.

I've been there before, but this time I"m taking my nephew (13 year old) in August 2012.

Once you've been there, you'll always want to go back.....

Beer Killer
laugh.gif
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JJoplin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
110kdva.jpg

Flight prep 101 </div></div>

Watching this thread will not be good for my pocketbook! I may have to head that way again. Africa surely gets in your blood.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JJoplin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
2ihbajk.jpg

Day 1 at camp </div></div>

Awesome pic, who's double? Always wanted a big bore double.

Jered, What are you hunting. I just got back on Sunday from Johannesburg for 18days for work. I was lucky enough to sqeeze in a 3 day hunt about 10km from Botswana and managed to get a nice impala and a really nice Kudu. I will be posting pics soon. Good luck! Its beautiful down there!

Last night was a little nerve wracking. I had an elephant eating right next to my tent for 45 minutes. Literally 10 feet. He was nice enough to take a crap right there as well.

We started off this morning with an early Buffalo. Tom shot it with his 470 Nitro. Now we have some bait for leopard and lion. We passed on Eland, Kudu, Warthog, and impala today. They all looked great to me but Andries said we can do better. We head out in 30 mins to hang the baits and look for more bait. My turn.......

2jg2x5c.jpg

AWESOME Jered! Please keep the pics and stories coming.

Day 3......... We sat in a leopard blind in the AM and then hung bait for the remainder of the day. Once we got some of the weight out of the back I shot a hartebeest to add to the bait tomorrow.
We need the camp meat as well.
We spotted a fresh lion kill today. Unfortunately it was a baby Elephant. I'll post that when I get back. We did get to meet the lions though. Got within 50 yards of one before she took off. When you see one in the wild up close and experience the way they look at you it will change your opinion of them quick.
We've seen a lot of good animals but have spent a lot of time working the baits for the cats and trying to hunt on the run for now.

29vfpue.jpg

1zwjdbr.jpg

Innovative scope mounting solution with the front ring around the objective, and beautiful rifles. Good luck and keep the pics coming.

Great pics! We will have to have specs on the as stated above "beautiful rifles". They are stunning to say the least.

Did I hear that one or both rifles are chambered in .470 Nitro? I've fired an exceptional double chambered in .470 Nitro. When I touched the first trigger, the recoil caused me to hit the second a split second later. It was like shooting a .940! Funny now.

Beautiful wood, to say the least, and the workmanship of those rifles is amazing.

Are you after elephant too, this time around?

Thanks for taking the time and the pictures!

Day 6 was pretty busy. Everyone was beat after chasing the Eland about 10 miles yesterday and then hanging bait until 1 AM.

We were going to get back on their trail but found a Buffalo and decided to load up the bait wagon. By the time we finished up with him we had to rush and hang a bait, build a new leopard blind, and check some lion bait. On the way back we were looking for a warthog and ran into some zebra. I took the stallion at almost 300 yards. He was so old his teeth were pretty much gone. Taking a mature animal is always the goal. Trying to stalk a group of animals with 5 guys in tow is challenging. The lead tracker stays on the trophy, the other two trackers follow the herd tracks and Andries looks out for things that want to eat us. To watch these guys track one animal through 1000's of other tracks over hard dirt for miles will blow your mind. I was thinking there is no way this is going to work and then ...............there they are out of nowhere. It's something you would honestly have to experience to appreciate.

2uz5e0i.jpg

3355fz6.jpg

2w236lx.jpg

Put all your Africa times on video and you would have one heck of a show...I would watch it.

Don't know if I have any "extra" desire to go to Africa....

Think I would be satisfied with a good mulie hunt in Wyoming or 'Tana. Hell, even some salmon fishing in Alaska would be nice...

Or a good antelope hunt.....Just about anything??? I just love to hunt, but time, money, time, Wife's "life" expectations....

Keep us Posted Jared! We'll live through YOU!
laugh.gif

Day 7 started out with a mad dash to the leopard blind. We were late so we hung new bait and moved on. We planned on hanging a lot of lion bait but ran up on a a few Buffalo and one really caught my attention. We stalked within 150 yards and I took what I thought was a good shot. As it turns out I must have caught some vegetation and hit him hi in the neck. Other than causing him to run off it really didn't phase him at all. We followed them to the tall grass and decided to put the camera down. Better to hold a rifle than a camera when you can't see a pissed off buffalo past 10 yards. We tracked them for 3 hours through that crap. That's a loooooong time in that tight of a space not knowing where he is going to come from. We finally caught up to them without incident. They where only 25 yards. I went to a solid and broke him down with that. Wizzed 4 more Woodlieghs into him and still had to wait 4 mins for him to die. Man these things really want to kill you when they are pissed off. Had I not broken him down with that shot we would have REALLY had our hands full. When you see the white around their eyes you know they are coming to kick your butt. The only time you see it is when they are really pissed off. For those that think they are just a big bull with an attitude have never pumped 6 rounds into one and watched him stare you down knowing he would kill you if he could. You can just see then anger in their eyes.
28tt9d.jpg

Not much to report on day 8. We keep getting caught up shooting stuff along the way to the baits so we have put a lot more time into hanging bait for cats than hunting.
We had a Leopard on our bait this AM but he took off 15 mins before we had enough light to shoot. It's a really big Leopard so hopefully we'll get him soon. We have 4 on bait so far and he is the best candidate so far.

As usual there wasn't a lot of sleep to be had with a group of elephant in camp. It really made things even better when a lion came close and freaked them all out. That's the last thing you need to panic when it's beside your tent. However day 8 started very well with a big leopard down at 6:30. I told Tom today was the day. I had that feeling in my gut when I woke up this morning. I will say it's been a long time since I've had a beer at 7 AM. Enjoy the photos..........................

2hfifbr.jpg

w9dugp.jpg

You Sir are THE MAN!! Thanks for the pics. Freakin' awesome cat! Everyday I'm lurking here awaiting your updates. You guys are certainly doing it up right.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LegioX</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You Sir are THE MAN!! Thanks for the pics. Freakin' awesome cat! Everyday I'm lurking here awaiting your updates. You guys are certainly doing it up right. </div></div>

That's a big +1

That cat is freakin amazing. I'd give my left nut.

Nice Joplin...very nice!

You need to slip out of the tent in the middle of the night with your 1911 and camera and get some elephant and lion pics.
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LegioX</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You Sir are THE MAN!! Thanks for the pics. Freakin' awesome cat! Everyday I'm lurking here awaiting your updates. You guys are certainly doing it up right. </div></div>

I was thinking the same exact thing. Awesome pics man. Makes me very jealous.

Day 9 started out early with Tom's Eland. It was supposed to be another bait day but sometimes you have to take the opportunity at hand. We only had to track it for about a half a mile before we got a shot on this one. Wait until you guys see the footage of shot two that Tom had to take.

My impala was taken late in the afternoon. The shot was around 150.

The one thing I would like to point out that these are all wild with no fences like South Africa. We normally spot something and then get the trackers out to follow it until we can catch back up to it.

It's really the ultimate hunting experience.

5oxug3.jpg

syrric.jpg

Any chance you could hogtie one of them and bring it back to Jefferson and mix em up with some whitetails?

Jered,

Thanks for sharing the great pix. I've got a hunt near Port Elizabeth in February. Mostly predators and hogs, but going to spend a day or two for some Kudu and Wildebeast. Your Pix have me getting seriously wound up in anticipation.

Cheers,
Breeze