• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

APA "RTG" is installed woo hoo! Review up.

AlabamaShooter

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 15, 2008
West Central Alabama: Tuscaloosa
Wooo Hooo! Just picked up my rifle from the FFL, and I felt like sharing with the rest of the class. I had APA install one of his RTG systems on my .308. I got it back just in time to shoot tomorrow
smile.gif

Here are the photos!
Im thinkin this looks pretty sweet!
DSC00776.jpg

Profile view:
DSC00775.jpg

Trigger guard:
DSC00779.jpg

Jered did a great job on the install, his work is impecable as usual!
DSC00777.jpg

DSC00778.jpg

I cant say enough good things about Jered and his crew, especially Bill. He was patient with this gunsmithin newbie, and answered all of my questions and kept me in the loop. Especially after he told me that my rifle was ready to be shipped back to me after only being at APA for <span style="color: #CC0000"><span style="font-size: 14pt">FOUR</span></span> days.
I know that APA has plenty of orders for smith work in the works, but the extraordinary and completely unexpected turnaround for my rifle made me feel like I was the only customer they had. APA has won a spot in my Good Guys list for sure.
I will be posting a review of my new bottom metal after my match on Saturday.
Now I have to just wait for is my "new to me" USO to make it here
smile.gif

<span style="font-size: 11pt"><span style="font-weight: bold">REVIEW</span></span>:
<span style="text-decoration: underline">Asthetics</span>-
When I got the rifle back to the house I did a visual inspection of the RTG bottom metal. The machine work on this piece was great, the surface is uniform and the anodizing is a nice and smooth. The ambidextrous magazine release coating is a dark grey which I like because it helps you to distinguish the magazine release from the rest of the trigger guard.
The overall appearance of the system is very clean, with the magazine removed it looks almost factory. There are no sharp edges on the trigger guard to catch on anything in your case or on your person if you were carrying your rifle with a sling.
The bedding and inleting by APA was impecable, the fit is tight and the bedding looks great. Certainly much better than if I had attempted to bed it myself.
smile.gif

<span style="text-decoration: underline">Function</span>-
The trigger guard has plenty of room for shooting with a gloved hand, this was certainly not tested yesterday (it was 90+ with 75-80% humidity). It also had one unexpected improvement, on my rifle the bolt release is located in the trigger guard. With my old trigger guard it was difficult to depress it to release the bolt. But with the RTG the access to the bolt release is much larger. This made it much easier for me to release the bolt when I was moving my rifle off the line.
Magazine insertion is quite smooth, and it locks in tight with no fuss. When the magazine is inserted with the bolt open there is about 1/16" of vertical play with the magazine. This is to allow the fully loaded magazine to fit with the bolt closed, when you insert a loaded magazine with the bolt closed there is no play in the system.
To release the magazine you take your index finger and depress either side of the ambidextrous lever. The lever only moves about 1/8" and the magazine drops free, I tested this with a loaded and unloaded magazine to see if there was any difference, there was no difference between the two.

<span style="text-decoration: underline">Final thoughts for what they are worth </span>-
So far I am completely satisfied with my decision to go with the APA system. I like the form and function of this system and would have no problem recomending it to anyone. I would put it up against any of the other major players in the bottom metal market. So if you are in the market for a bottom metal for your rifle, I would definitely give the RTG from APA a closer look.

Now I am off to go buy some more ramen so I can get some Morta mags for this thing
smile.gif

Re: APA "RTG" is installed woo hoo!

I remember that rifle! LOL. Nice blaster ya got there. Please let me know how the RTG works out for you. If you don't, I will hunt you down and bug you for an AAR. ;-)

We've started changing some things at APA to make for faster turn around times. So far, so good. The guys in the shop are working REALLY hard and we've turned around some projects a lot quicker than we promised folks. We're hoping to get times even better in the future.

Thanks very much for the kind words and the pictures. Jered and Dave are good friends and I'm blessed to be working with them now. I've always appreciated their attention to detail and I've long said that those are the only guys who touch my rifles.

Take care and I wish you well this weekend at the range.

Just got back from my match today. The bottom metal worked great, I cant believe I didnt do something like this sooner. Now I just need to save up a little cash for some 10rd morta mags.

Once again a big thanks goes out to APA from a very satisfied customer.

I thought I recognized that rifle and USO optic mount, how did you do at the match? What type of match was it? Jered and crew are really good guys, they really go out of their way to take care of people. I have heard numerous stories from guys who needed something and the APA crew worked their magic. Also looking forward to the review of the RTG, take care bro!!

I did ok at the match, it was a precision rifle match put on by inalabama in Birmingham. I did ok at 300yds, so so at 380, I stunk it up at 440 (my dope was about 6inches too high), and did great at 516yd. I had 4-5 on a 5.5 inch shoot-n-c and 4-5 on the 10" steel.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AlabamaShooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I did ok at the match, it was a precision rifle match put on by inalabama in Birmingham. I did ok at 300yds, so so at 380, I stunk it up at 440 (my dope was about 6inches too high), and did great at 516yd. I had 4-5 on a 5.5 inch shoot-n-c and 4-5 on the 10" steel. </div></div>

You have me interested in the match in the Ham....could you pm me some details, im moving back there in about 8 days

You can't go wrong with having APA work on your rig. They're absolutely a class act.

+1 on Jered and the team at APA, they took care of my rifle quickly and the work was WORLD CLASS!