• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Appleseed vs Sniper's Hide

JoeZ

Project Appleseed
Minuteman
Jan 16, 2012
SE Wisconsin
Greetings all,
The JMJ Farm in Bowler WI is hosting a designated marksman match May 9th and/or 10th. A two-mile, seven stage course will test you, your kit, and your preferred shooting discipline whether it is traditional American riflery (Appleseed) or precision riflery (Sniper’s Hide). Ranges vary from 100 yards to 600+ yards and field position shooting will be required; i.e. standing, seated/kneeling, and prone. The goals of the match are to practice rifle marksmanship under some stress, debug your kit in the field, and teach a bit of American history. Appleseeders will instantly recognize the Hits Count stage and Hide members will be familiar with the Know Your Limit sort of thing. The match will be kid and spouse friendly, having a 22LR “simulation” of each stage for them that the high power shooters engage. I may even have a class for kids/spouse teaching the Streloc app and use of a long range simulator. A $200 donation will be made to the winning discipline’s champion website and a $100 donation to the second best in appreciation for all that they do for the shooting community.

The cost to shoot for score will be $25 but the cost to compete for score and prizes will be $100. You may retry (even a different discipline) for $25. The top competitor in each discipline will receive their money back plus half of the fee paid by competitors in the same. A second place in each may be awarded his money back plus 10% of all like competitors if the event is well attended.

Any questions or sign up request can be directed to JoeZ via pm or phone call or email. Thank you for your interest.

• All persons will be required to follow the safety rules.
• All persons must submit a hold JMJ Farms harmless agreement.
• Shooters will not be required to walk the course, UTV and ATV rides available.
• 22lr rifles will be at each stage, but you may bring your own.
• Only the first try counts for standings and prizes.
• RSO’s shoot for free, pm me for a spot as I need more.
• The entire course of fire will be under 100 rounds per try.
• Winnings and donations to the websites are the minimum and may increase based on attendance and competitors.
• Majority of targets will be steel Army “D” so no steel wrecking hyper velocity or giant 50 cal cartridges.
• I sincerely hope I haven’t stepped on any toes with this project.

Dang, I'll be in Seattle that weekend for work.. Do you have shoots other times in the year?

Starts at 8:00 AM;The course of fire is the same for either discipline, show up, do admin, get briefed, go shoot. There will be no general briefing. Your first try is for score, but you may retry all you like, even choosing the other discipline. Day 2 is just more time to squeeze people in, nothing new.

All targets are steel, a hit = 1 point

Stage 1; Captain Isaac Davis and the Acton Minutemen
Standing, 100 yds, 10 rounds max, 2 minutes, Army D target.
Win by score; no tiebreaker; top scores +3

Stage 2; Daniel Morgan’s Challenge
Prone, 100-400 yds, 13 rounds max, 1 minute, 4 army Ds + a bucket.
Win by score; tiebreaker by shortest time; winner +3

Stage 3; Timothy Murphy Knew His Limit
Prone 6 rounds, seated 6 rounds, 300-650 yards, no time limit
Win by score, no tiebreaker, to scores +3

Stage 4; Ambush at Miriam’s Corner
Prone, 600-200 yds, no round limit (must hit 10 targets)
Win by shortest time, winner +3

Stage 5; Stay Loose Though Adhering
Seated, 300 yds, No round limit( 10 hits required) 1 minute, 1 army D target
Win by shortest time, winner +3

Stage 6; A Man’s Home Is His Castle
Bring a pistol; you’re going to need it here.

Stage 7; Parker’s Revenge
Any position, 100 yds, 10 rounds, 1 minute
Win by score, no tie breaker, top scores +3

Captain Parker

and what he wanted his revenge for

Sounds like a great event with some good history.

I should say that a gas gun is highly recommended. Many of the stages are rapid fire.

A sample of the stage COF's.

Thank you for your time,
JoeZ

Attachments

• Stage1.doc
    35 KB · Views: 36
  • Stage 2.doc
    29 KB · Views: 35
  • Stage 3.doc
    30.5 KB · Views: 33
  • Stage 4.doc
    32.5 KB · Views: 45
What I am calling the Army "D" is the 4 point and 5 point field together. Many will remember this as the repair center for a qualification target. I've made them from steel and will not score them normally, just using a hit or not solution. The target is 25.5 inches wide by 19 inches tall and shaped like a bell.

It looks like this.

Attachments

• CAQT_Part_1[1].pdf
    365.1 KB · Views: 27
When a shooter signs up he will choose the shooting discipline he shoots under, for the entire match and with no equipment changes through out. The Sniper's Hide discipline may use a bipod and/or bags but no sling for shooting support, a carry only strap is fine. The Appleseed discipline can use a sling for shooting support but may not use a bipod or bags for shooting support.

The course will favor auto loaders (semi-automatic) rifles as many stages are timed and the target is a larger one being 19" high by 25" wide. Also, hits on steel must be detected by the RSO at as far as 650 yds so I think hitting them harder may also factor in.

Thank you for the interest.
JoeZ

When a shooter signs up he will choose the shooting discipline he shoots under, for the entire match and with no equipment changes through out. The Sniper's Hide discipline may use a bipod and/or bags but no sling for shooting support, a carry only strap is fine. The Appleseed discipline can use a sling for shooting support but may not use a bipod or bags for shooting support.

The course will favor auto loaders (semi-automatic) rifles as many stages are timed and the target is a larger one being 19" high by 25" wide. Also, hits on steel must be detected by the RSO at as far as 650 yds so I think hitting them harder may also factor in.

Thank you for the interest.
JoeZ

Thanks for the information... so is bipod and rear bag the only option or could a shooter use bipod+rear bag+ carry tripod as an additional item? Or are tripods not allowed?

The supports will be bipods and are attached/part of the rifle with no changes(on or off) per stage. The idea is a designated marksman's rifle. A rear bag or monopod is acceptable for the precision shooting discipline.

Thank you for your interest,
JoeZ

Regarding Parkers Revenge

Stage 7; Parker’s Revenge
Any position, 100 yds, 10 rounds, 1 minute
Win by score, no tie breaker, top scores +3

Where I spent my day teaching the kids our history

The scene as the British saw it

And from the nascent American point of view

Directions to the JMJ Farm:

Enter the following into your map program;
“ County Rd D and County Rd J, Bowler WI”

From there go north on County D ¼ mile to the first driveway east(right).

I’m glad to have been of service as this event seemed very well received by the attendees and all were very appreciative.

Here are the final scores and assessment. All shooters used self-loading rifles (semi-auto).

NAME SCORE DISCIPLINE RIFLE
JoeZ 80 AS Scoped 308
Ed F 60 AS Scoped 223
Dan L 57 SH Scoped 223
Mike D 56 SH Scoped 308
Joe B 52 SH Scoped 223
Mike H 49 SH Scoped 308
Mike E 43 SH Scoped 223
Rick P 37 AS Irons 308

Shooters using Appleseed discipline averaged 59.67 points per.
Shooters using Sniper’s Hide discipline averaged 51.4 points per.

The aggregate of the top three ASers was 179.
The aggregate of the top three SHers was 165.

I used two criteria for determining the winner, allowing room for a tie.

Appleseed discipline has been declared the winner.

The simulated course results are as follows;(they all used SH discipline and had help from the Strelok app)
NAME/AGE SCORE
Fred Z (age 14) 61
Emily Z (age 16) 58
Mattias L (age 11) 48

A big congrats to all the shooters and a huge thank you to Rick who spent two days helping me put this on.

Last edited:
Great time and a real eye opener. Thanks to Joe and Rick for all the work to set up and run this. I cannot believe more people did not turn out for this event. Hopefully Joe will do this again.

2014-05-10 17.16.19.jpg20140510_093554.jpg20140510_093610.jpg20140510_093948.jpg20140510_094125.jpg

Hi Joe, thanks again for the awesome opportunity to shoot the AS v.s. SH match, I hope more folks find the fortitude to partake next time. Sorry the picks took awhile to squeeze out of mike, hope y'all enjoy, we had a blast shootin from the barn even with a little Kentucky windage, can't wait till we can stop over again, MD