• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Appliance recommendations

JJMoody

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
May 14, 2021
North Idaho
We’ve been at the point in construction where we need to nail down our kitchen appliance package in our “shop/house.”Problem is, the brands/models don’t offer setups with high marks across the board. we’d like to keep similar profiles across the appliances. Looking for solid setups along these lines:

Range- dual fuel 36”
-looking at Monogram, Z Line, Kitchen Aid etc any others we should look at?
Dishwasher probably gonna be a Bosch
24” microwave drawer
Tall,skinny fridge prefer 24” and taller than 72” it’s a smaller space but high ceilings
Any input from the hyenas here?

We have a Kitchen Aid 36" gas range top... works good so far, but its go no electronic parts except the ignitors.

Top of the line whirlpool electric stuff everywhere else.

I wouldnt pay more for KitchenAid over Whirlpool as the appliances are literally 100% identical except for cosmetics... yet the KitchenAid is a good chunk more expensive.

I dont know that I have read much good on Bosch anything.

Monogram is GE=Chinese=no fucking way.

Z-line stuff looks nice. On that level check out Blue Star. Cheaper than Wolf or Viking, but equally or better built.

And your fridge space is going to be a "tall" order so to speak. Not sure what, if anything is made that narrow except maybe something custom.

Reactions: JJMoody
Consumer Reports top three dishwashers are all Bosch. Not a fan of much else they do. The Zline seemed to have problems early on, but may have figured it out-I’m not sure. Would really like to know on that. Fridges, well I thank my wife for her acute, fashion forward thinking on the size. There’s a couple out there. Didn’t know about KA being designer Whirlpool. I’ve pretty much stayed out of the way on the design/ brand/ finishes and am voluntarily ignorant on appliances (mostly).

Reactions: Sirshredalot
+1 on Bosch DW. I have a Samsung and a Subzero fridge. I like the Samsung better.

I have a Samsung and a Subzero fridge. I like the Samsung better.

I think Samsung fridges and appliances were some of the lowest rated when I was searching last year...

They make some cool stuff, but IF/WHEN IT BREAKS you wont be able to get it repaired. That was the most common issue I saw when researching. Repair guy would come out, say "XXX part is broke, they wont sell me a replacement"... Where as Whirlpool and Maytag didnt have that issue... but they dont make the most exciting appliances.

Our builder does all high end Whirlpool and we did the Whirlpool fridge also... All supposedly "made in USA" or "made in North America" which I believe to some level... "assembled in USA/NA with global parts" is probably more true. At least its not Haier(chinese) owned GE... I would buy Korean owned Samsung before I would buy Chinese owned GE...

Another fan of the Bosch DW.

Love the Blue Star (open burners only, I think).

We tore the back off our ranch home and added a large room, the kitchen takes up about 200sf. The most used feature is the 2nd dishwasher (both are KitchenAids). I did a 48" cooktop with a griddle(DCS), two convection ovens under a very large island. 36" farm sink.

I haven't figured out placement of the microwave yet, so one sits on the counter.
Most gas appliances have a fuel conversion kit. Easy to retrofit. We were on propane, now on NG.

___Kitchen.jpg

We have a Bosche dishwasher that has been very reliable, gets dishes clean, and is quiet. Not sure of what else a dishwasher needs to do, but this one does all of the above.

Our Kenmoor Pro side by side fridge has been pretty good except for one small issue. The water filters seem to go bad/plug very quickly, are expensive, and the water dispenser and ice maker don't work without them. The off brand replacements leak. Did I mention the Kenmoor brand filters are expensive? We have ice trays in a freezer that should make ice automatically. And, before you say it, we have soft water...

A power outage killed our Frigidaire microwave, though it hasn't been missed. Not that it didn't do what it was supposed to do; just that in a kitchen with a stove, and an oven, and a toaster oven, a microwave oven is superfluous.

Countertop depth refrigerators are harder to find than deeper ones.

We have a 36" Thermador dual fuel range that we really like, I would definitely give them a look. We are in the process of moving and I think that range is one of the things I am going to miss most about our current home...

As far as dw and fridge, both are Bosch but are branded Thermador, they both are under the same ownership umbrella, so that all of the handles match. When we purchased them they had a deal running that if you bought all three appliances they offered a special price, hopefully whoever you are working with to purchase your appliances will cue you in on any potential savings.

Good luck!

I would recommend Miele dishwashers. They seem to clean/dry better than the Bosch & take less time. Bosch would be my second choice. Our sub-zero fridge(pro 48) has been great. We have a capital gas range. It's been fine.

Got talked into a Kitchen Aid dishwasher over Bosch. I knew better but I'd rather have the Bosch still. Not that so far (4 years roughly) that the Kitchen Aid hasn't been ok; but it's not quite as quiet as they wanted me to believe - even with the dB rating.

think it funny I remember my grandmother having a stove nothing fancy and the meals cooked on that nothing fancy stove were fit for a king and the stove lasted more than 40 years we got a what I though was a high end stove thinking it would last at least through my life time costing almost as much as a new car in the 80's only lasted 3 years before all the problems started in on it . My next stove will is going to be a old cast iron stove with a flattop cooking . No gas , no electronics to break down nothing fancy .

We tore the back off our ranch home and added a large room, the kitchen takes up about 200sf. The most used feature is the 2nd dishwasher (both are KitchenAids). I did a 48" cooktop with a griddle(DCS), two convection ovens under a very large island. 36" farm sink.

I haven't figured out placement of the microwave yet, so one sits on the counter.
Most gas appliances have a fuel conversion kit. Easy to retrofit. We were on propane, now on NG.

View attachment 7648410
There's a drawer style microwave that takes up a drawer instead of the drawer. Gets it off the counter and not over the oven.

iu.jpeg

We replaced our fridge a year or two ago and went with the Samsung side by side with four doors instead of drawers for space reasons and have been extremely happy with the performance of the fridge. Didn't and wouldn't pay an extra grand for their shitty tablet and cameras but I can see why someone would want that. I'll admit that being able to check what's inside your fridge while at the store could be handy. It is one of the tallest and thinnest (counter depth) fridges spec wise and the way the doors open allows you to really push it in so it won't stick out from the counter as well as the lack of extruded handles gave us an extra inch to inch and ½ room between the island and the fridge. Nice flush fit for a non built in.

Reactions: diverdon
Kind of the direction where I'm headed, thanks for the pic. I have a lot of cabinet space.

We have a Bosch DW, our 2nd. We (she) redid the kitchen in 2018, and we had a Bosch DW from the start when we built the house in late '05. First Bosch gave zero problems from day one, super quiet, etc. I just suggested she replace the first one with a new DW since everything was gonna be new (excluding cabinets) . Second one is even quieter than the first one, but the controls on the top edge of the door are a PITA for her. You can't see the controls when the door is closed FWIW.

The Whirlpool has made jet engine noises from day one (and others), but numerous reviews said the same thing about this fridge. This model was the only one that would fit in the original space and matched the stove & DW colors. We have an electric stove, neither of us like gas stoves.

KitchenAid and Whirlpool electric slide in range/side by side fridge/dishwasher have treated us well for 17+ years. Duet washer and dryer have been OK but they've been punished by the two women in the household who have them constantly running and overloading them.

It's my understanding that KitchenAid/Whirlpool also manufacture GE and Maytag brand.

I just replaced our dishwasher with a KitchenAid 3 rack 44db stainless unit and it is impressive cleans and dries well and is stupid quiet.

Reactions: hollowoutadime
Wolf gas cooktop/electric oven, Miele dishwasher, SubZero refrigerator/freezer. These three work well and look matched to each other.

We’ve been at the point in construction where we need to nail down our kitchen appliance package in our “shop/house.”Problem is, the brands/models don’t offer setups with high marks across the board. we’d like to keep similar profiles across the appliances. Looking for solid setups along these lines:

Range- dual fuel 36”
-looking at Monogram, Z Line, Kitchen Aid etc any others we should look at?
Dishwasher probably gonna be a Bosch
24” microwave drawer
Tall,skinny fridge prefer 24” and taller than 72” it’s a smaller space but high ceilings
Any input from the hyenas here?
Range - Dual Fuel Wolf or Thermador 36"
DW - Bosch
MW - Don't need it
Fridge - 24"!? No clue

Our dishwasher is from 1965 (LOL), a Kitchenaid made by Hobart. Noisy as hell but gets the dishes spotless in 35 minutes. On the fridge, my son and DIL have a Samsung french door design they got 10 years ago that has been moved 4 times, works perfectly and is a nice design (middle drawer for the fridge section for drinks and stuff). We have a Whirpool that we got about 5 years ago, which has worked ok, but the french door design doesn't work as well as the samsung (you have to close the left before the right, otherwise the right one gets pushed open) and the middle shelf is offset so the tall stuff (like milk and other drinks) need to be on the left, so instead of opening one door you have to open both...stupid design that makes no sense
And we paid a higher price because our house is older and can't accommodate anything wider than 30". If you're not buying what the current common size is, you'll pay through the nose

Our Bosch dishwasher (2015) has a problem with the bottom shelf coming off the tracks. Bosch told me it is because I don't know how to work it. Some aftermarket wheels improved it a lot. I understand that other brands have the same problem. Beside that, I like the stainless steel tub and it cleans dishes OK.

We also have a Bosch electric range and a built in double oven. Both are garbage.

We have a Samsung refrigerator that is pure design stupidity. It has been nothing but trouble since Day 1, and Samsung refuses to do anything about it despite knowing it is stupid. They've published service bulletins that take stupid to a new level.

The consensus in my circle of friends is that unless you go for commercial appliances or commercial type appliances made for the home (like Viking and Sub-Zero) , it is all shit.

Really appreciate the feedback guys. If it were all up to me, it’d be all garage sale/Craigslist etc… stuff. Our freezer from the ‘70s is still kicking ass, older fridges, older washer/dryers they’re great. I really hate spending money…. My wife??? Well… she’s good at it and when she says, “this is my rifle…”, I can’t argue.
anyways, keep it coming!

that’ll only drive the budget over the edge! You know how lots of guys are always telling other guys online that “you a po” unless you run an AI… you ever see a woman tell another woman how she should spend money??!! Lol!

Speaking of budget, it’s a concern but it’s not the main concern. We’ve looked at all the Wolf/Viking/subzero/ etc… stuff and it’s great. But… (here’s a video of my shopping experience)

I also hate wasting money on junk. Things that look great, but break make me say things to salesmen that are borderline…

Please for your sanity’s sake no Samsung anything… ever (as far as appliances go…) I could tell story after story after sto… now computer monitor or tv… that’s another story… but appliances… not!
Of the brands you mentioned I’d go KitchenAid (aka Whirlpool) for all but DW, agree with your choice of Bosch for that.

I work on appliances, and by far I have the least trouble with Whirlpool. That’s their ranges, ovens, fridges, etc. Some of the others that the guys posted about would fit the bill very well for you.

I would tell you to steer very clear of LG fridges. Their Linear compressors are the number one thing I work on, day in and day out. You can buy a $3500 fridge, and within 6 months have to shell out another $450+ in labor to have the compressor changed out.

Samsung French-door fridges come in a close second; their comps rarely go bad, but a main issue is their ice maker that freezes up and quits.

Now with Whirlpool, their Embraco comps can last a lifetime if you keep the condenser clean and clear of dirt/dust/you name it.

The appliances I have been the happiest with, I went to the local appliance store and asked for the repairman, then asked him what he had the least trouble with, was a few years ago so I am sure his recommendations would change, the one thing he recommended was the extended warranty on everything just because of how expensive repairs are.

I replaced our old Maytag with a whirlpool last year. The maytag lasted quite a while. I have probably replaced 3-4 parts on the new whirlpool. Its kind of ridiculous.

Our Bosch dishwasher (2015) has a problem with the bottom shelf coming off the tracks. Bosch told me it is because I don't know how to work it. Some aftermarket wheels improved it a lot. I understand that other brands have the same problem. Beside that, I like the stainless steel tub and it cleans dishes OK.

We also have a Bosch electric range and a built in double oven. Both are garbage.

We have a Samsung refrigerator that is pure design stupidity. It has been nothing but trouble since Day 1, and Samsung refuses to do anything about it despite knowing it is stupid. They've published service bulletins that take stupid to a new level.

The consensus in my circle of friends is that unless you go for commercial appliances or commercial type appliances made for the home (like Viking and Sub-Zero) , it is all shit.
You think you got problems now? Go ahead and replace everything with viking, you'll soon wax nostalgic for the good old days.

I work on appliances, and by far I have the least trouble with Whirlpool. That’s their ranges, ovens, fridges, etc. Some of the others that the guys posted about would fit the bill very well for you.

I would tell you to steer very clear of LG fridges. Their Linear compressors are the number one thing I work on, day in and day out. You can buy a $3500 fridge, and within 6 months have to shell out another $450+ in labor to have the compressor changed out.

Samsung French-door fridges come in a close second; their comps rarely go bad, but a main issue is their ice maker that freezes up and quits.

Now with Whirlpool, their Embraco comps can last a lifetime if you keep the condenser clean and clear of dirt/dust/you name it.
Just did a kitchen remodel, and the only one instock that had what we wanted was the Samsung 4 door. I’ve heard about the ice maker issues. Anything one can do to help prevent it? Make sure the ice maker is constantly making ice?

samsung steam dryer shit the bed yesterday. Won’t turn, think the belt might be fooked.

Our dishwasher is from 1965 (LOL), a Kitchenaid made by Hobart. Noisy as hell but gets the dishes spotless in 35 minutes. On the fridge, my son and DIL have a Samsung french door design they got 10 years ago that has been moved 4 times, works perfectly and is a nice design (middle drawer for the fridge section for drinks and stuff). We have a Whirpool that we got about 5 years ago, which has worked ok, but the french door design doesn't work as well as the samsung (you have to close the left before the right, otherwise the right one gets pushed open) and the middle shelf is offset so the tall stuff (like milk and other drinks) need to be on the left, so instead of opening one door you have to open both...stupid design that makes no sense
And we paid a higher price because our house is older and can't accommodate anything wider than 30". If you're not buying what the current common size is, you'll pay through the nose
I feel your pain, look at 27” wall ovens vs 30”. There were 2 options locally. The pos was $2k, and the top end kitchenaid was $2800.

Never buy LG or samsung. Idgaf if they are FREE.

not that you were shopping for shiny, cheap appliances anyway.

I don’t have recommendations for good stuff, but i sure know what blows goats!

I feel your pain, look at 27” wall ovens vs 30”. There were 2 options locally. The pos was $2k, and the top end kitchenaid was $2800.
We have the same issue...which is why we still have the original 1965 brown wall oven lol... Hey, it works fine, why change it? I just needed to adjust the temperature knob so the setting matches the actual temp. And replaced the element once in the last 11 years we've been here.

Just did a kitchen remodel, and the only one instock that had what we wanted was the Samsung 4 door. I’ve heard about the ice maker issues. Anything one can do to help prevent it? Make sure the ice maker is constantly making ice?

samsung steam dryer shit the bed yesterday. Won’t turn, think the belt might be fooked.
Honestly, it’s a roll of the dice. It isn’t so much as it making ice; it’s the drain tube that has a heat tape on it that craps out, and once that happens the whole ice maker freezes up and then it’s time for a repair. Make sure you have a protection plan on it so your not stuck paying a bunch of money.

On the washer, it could be the belt like you said, or even the idler pulley. They’re fairly simple to yank apart, just YouTube your model. Just make sure to unplug it or flip the breaker. 240 will knock your dick into the dirt.

Honestly, it’s a roll of the dice. It isn’t so much as it making ice; it’s the drain tube that has a heat tape on it that craps out, and once that happens the whole ice maker freezes up and then it’s time for a repair. Make sure you have a protection plan on it so your not stuck paying a bunch of money.

On the washer, it could be the belt like you said, or even the idler pulley. They’re fairly simple to yank apart, just YouTube your model. Just make sure to unplug it or flip the breaker. 240 will knock your dick into the dirt.
When I bought it they offered a 5yr plan for $300. Guess it was dumb to turn it down? Extended warranties have always been a waste of money in previous experience.

I used to think the extended warranties were a complete racket, til we got one for our motor home. Used it a lot! New engine at 29700 miles and Ford screwed us.

We have the same issue...which is why we still have the original 1965 brown wall oven lol... Hey, it works fine, why change it? I just needed to adjust the temperature knob so the setting matches the actual temp. And replaced the element once in the last 11 years we've been here.
Mine just shit the bed. Only upgraded went it burnt three elements in a week.

My friend reestablished his restaurant and removed all of his old appliances before purchasing new appliances for his new commercial kitchen. The refrigerator he purchased was thin and tall enough to resemble a commercial refrigerator. I'm not sure what brand it's called. For safety reasons, he also installed GFCI for all new appliances.
Interesting….show us pics. Also, explain why he has all his new appliances plugged into GFCI?

explain why he has all his new appliances plugged into GFCI?

code...

I am sure commercial electrical code is more stringent than residential and all residential indoor now has to be 100% GFCI whether through the breaker or an outlet. I bet commercial is the same, so if the guy was renovating a restaurant I am pretty sure he would be required to bring it up to code.

And aint no way anybody would want a True refrigerator of any type in their house, at least not in their kitchen. GREAT beer fridges, but not aesthetically pleasing in the least.

Need to buy a new dishwasher. Seems Bosch is the brand to buy.

Any model recommendations?

code...

I am sure commercial electrical code is more stringent than residential and all residential indoor now has to be 100% GFCI whether through the breaker or an outlet. I bet commercial is the same, so if the guy was renovating a restaurant I am pretty sure he would be required to bring it up to code.
I get commercial, but for residential it’s actually from the manufactures not to run fridges on GFCI, as on startup and on the defrost cycles they can and will trip out the GFCI, you’ll loose all your product, then be calling for a repair only to be told you can’t run a fridge on a GFCI or you’ll run into the same problem..: