• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Applying Hornady One-Shot Case Lube

jkonzal

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 1, 2011
NE WA
I know there are lots out there that don't like Hornady One-Shot. You are NOT the ones I wanna hear from. I'm just wondering how people apply the lube to their cases. I spray the lube on a cleaning patch and apply it to the outside of the case by twisting the case neck and shoulder in the patch. For the inside of the neck, I use a bore mop with the lube sprayed on it.

Any better/faster ideas?

Re: Applying Hornady One-Shot Case Lube

i have an old square plastic reloading block i dont use anymore. i line the outer two edges with cases (they are off set so I can do two rows at a time) and spray it , while turing the block around.

Yeah much faster to put a bunch of cases in a gallon zip lock bag in a single layer and then spray the cases. Roll them around and then spray again. Dump them into a box and start again. I can do 300 cases in about 10 min.

Make sure to let the cases sit for about a minute to dissipate the propellent in the lube.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tank</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i have an old square plastic reloading block i dont use anymore. i line the outer two edges with cases (they are off set so I can do two rows at a time) and spray it , while turing the block around. </div></div>

I use the same technique. I place the cases neck down so that the spray doesn't accumulate on the case shoulders. I also use a paper towel to wipe off the spray from the neck/shoulder area. I found that spray on the shoulder will cause my dies to dimple/crease the case unless I wipe the shoulders down prior to sizing. Disclaimer: I'm new to hand loading and still don't know Mr. Jack Schidt.

Hornady One-Shot on a cookie sheet, after awhile you get a nice thick coat of over sparyed lube on the cookie sheet that gets rejuvinated each time you spray another batch of brass. Also worth mentioning I sprayed 1200 rds of 5.56 brass from one ten dollar can due to capturing the overspray on the sheet. I still wipe each round off by hand with a rag, I read into tumbleing the rounds in order to remove the lube, but legend has it that this can break down extruded powders. (I use Varget) So I just sit down to watch a movie or something with a bowl of ammo and a rag, if I'm in a hurry I'll lay out a large towel out on the floor, dump the ammo onto it,fold the towel over and rub the rounds around inside the towel with the palms of my hand for a few minutes. Don't tell my wife I use her bath towels.

I just put 50 pieces in a loading tray and spray every case by just rotating the tray to get all the way around the case and also at an angle to get a little in the neck and to get the cases in the middle of the tray. Takes about 30 seconds and a minute to dry and away I go. Probably not the most efficient way as a lot is probably wasted this way but the stuff is not that expensive and the less time dicking around at the bench the better.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KRAKER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hornady One-Shot on a cookie sheet, after awhile you get a nice thick coat of over sparyed lube on the cookie sheet that gets rejuvinated each time you spray another batch of brass. Also worth mentioning I sprayed 1200 rds of 5.56 brass from one ten dollar can due to capturing the overspray on the sheet. I still wipe each round off by hand with a rag, I read into tumbleing the rounds in order to remove the lube, but legend has it that this can break down extruded powders. (I use Varget) So I just sit down to watch a movie or something with a bowl of ammo and a rag, if I'm in a hurry I'll lay out a large towel out on the floor, dump the ammo onto it,fold the towel over and rub the rounds around inside the towel with the palms of my hand for a few minutes. Don't tell my wife I use her bath towels. </div></div>

I use the same method on a cookie tray but tumble off after decapping and FL sizing. then load. I started with HOS with rifle rounds as I use it and still do for my 9mm pistol. I have since found that Dillon lube works better for me and use that instead.

Here's what I do. I'm sure it is not the most efficient way, but when I do it, I don't get any stuck cases.

I lay all my cases out on a towel in rows and spray a generous coating on all cases. I wait five minutes for them to dry. Then flip all cases over and spray them down again. Wait five more minutes. Then resize and prime.

I run them all through the tumbler for 45 minutes or so to remove case lube before trimming.

old brownie pan. About 1/2" deep 9x11. Line up as many cases, mouths orientated towards the sprayer, that fit along the long edge with enough room so that you can tilt the pan so that when I spray I can roll the cases approx half a rotation, tilt, cases roll, hit 'em again. Dump them in to an old Tupperware bowl and do it again. Been doing it that way for, oh, 6-7 years. Over-spray is caught by the pan. Works with the RCBS pump spray stuff too! I like ONE SHOT the best though.

Like V.S. said, inexpensive and effective!!

Stuck cases....everyone does, hasn't happened with One Shot yet.....
K.I.S.S.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Flintlock Shooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I know there are lots out there that don't like Hornady One-Shot. You are NOT the ones I wanna hear from....</div></div>

<span style="text-decoration: underline">Dammit</span>!!!

I was going to say the easiest, fastest, bestest way to use OneStuck is to leave it on the shelf and use the Imperial instead...but I guess I won't say it now :p

Seriously, Rob01's method worked the best for me when I tried it.

I couldn't make it work better than Imperial so I ditched it. I think one tin will last me until I die and I'll have two new tins to will to my gene pool...OneShot? Not so much. But it does smell good though. I keep it around now so I can smell like a "Hornady Man" when I leave the bench...drives all the young ladies crazy!

But I won't say any of that stuff either...your loss
wink.gif

JK

Reactions: Seymour Fish

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mutt</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Flintlock Shooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I know there are lots out there that don't like Hornady One-Shot. You are NOT the ones I wanna hear from....</div></div>

<span style="text-decoration: underline">Dammit</span>!!!

I was going to say the easiest, fastest, bestest way to use OneStuck is to leave it on the shelf and use the Imperial instead...but I guess I won't say it now :p

Seriously, Rob01's method worked the best for me when I tried it.

I couldn't make it work better than Imperial so I ditched it. I think one tin will last me until I die and I'll have two new tins to will to my gene pool...OneShot? Not so much. But it does smell good though. I keep it around now so I can smell like a "Hornady Man" when I leave the bench...drives all the young ladies crazy!

But I won't say any of that stuff either...your loss
wink.gif

JK</div></div>

I have used imperial as well and it does work great but the time spent dicking with rubbing it on every case by hand is cut down a lot by going the one shot route. If I wasn't so inpatient I would use imperial but I would rather shoot then spend lots of time at the bench.

If you decide to stay with your spray and wipe method, you may as well switch to a superior lube. I have heard Hornady Unique works well and Imperial is the standard. Kind of senseless to buy spray lube and not take advantage of the convenience factor.

Thanks for all the input Guys! I appreciate it!!!
Good point Eddie!!!

The cheapest easiest most effective way of applying OneShot is Rob's method, one can has lubed over 10k rounds of 223 and 40 and still has plenty left to do another 10k.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Varmint Slayer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have used imperial as well and it does work great but the time spent dicking with rubbing it on every case by hand is cut down a lot by going the one shot route. If I wasn't so inpatient I would use imperial but I would rather shoot then spend lots of time at the bench.</div></div>

Roger that! Even since it wipes off as easily as it does it's still wiping off each case or re-tumbling. I only use it when I FL size anyway...otherwise it's NS with either graphite powder or no lube at all.

Graphite doesn't smell as good and it tends to 'snort' too easily and <span style="font-style: italic">might</span> be habit forming...can't say for sure as I'm in denial.

I spray them from a 70degree angle while the cases are in the loading tray, of course I shake the can 1 min before applying, works better that way. I use Hornadys Unique case lube for smaller jobs, that stuff is awesome!

I use RCBS instead of Hornady, but the same thing, or make your own out of alcohol, lanolin and caster oil. Spray 5 or 6 times into a gallon ziploc bag with about 30 or so cases; shake and roll around in the bag; then take out, set upright on a cookie sheet and let dry for about 5 or 10 minutes, to let the alcohol evaporate. Every once in a while a case won't get enough lube. You can feel it not going into the die: STOP, back up, and put a little Imperial on it and go ahead. At least 95% of the cases go through without any additional lube, just don't force the sticky cases in and stick them good. I've done several thousand cases with a bottle of lube.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pmy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here's what I do. I'm sure it is not the most efficient way, but when I do it, I don't get any stuck cases.

I lay all my cases out on a towel in rows and spray a generous coating on all cases. I wait five minutes for them to dry. Then flip all cases over and spray them down again. Wait five more minutes. Then resize and prime.

I run them all through the tumbler for 45 minutes or so to remove case lube before trimming. </div></div>

I do the same, works great.

Another reloading proceedure that people can't help but over complicate.....

Five cases in the palm of the hand, spray 'em, roll 'em between your hands, run 'em through the sizer....repeat with the next five.

Keep the can shaken well and there's no need to let it "dry" before it goes in the die....people have problems with it because they don't remember to shake it.

Keep a shop rag handy if you don't like messy hands........

When your done run all your sized brass through some corn cob media for about a beer and and a half, to clean off the lube, and you're done.

That said I switched to Trapper's Mink Oil a few years ago and use it just like you would Imperial..........

One Shot has worked for 1000's of rounds.

Put the cases neck down into a 50 round box. Invert that onto a cookie sheet so the rounds are standing up. Slide a piece of card stock (the side of your Captain Crunch box) between the rows and slide them away from the center row so the rows are about an inch apart. Spray from 3 sides down onto the cases, a little goes in the neck, most down the side. Let them dry for at least 5 minutes. You should have already cleaned the inside of the die and sprayed the One Shot into it.

Re-size. Tumble to clean. You'd have to spray half the can to get enough on the case to dimple the neck. If you want to do 100 cases put your card stock over the second box while you invert it. Slide card out, carefully lift cartridge box off, separate (100 .223 are easy. 100 .308 have to be spaced just right), spray.

Pretty soon the cookie sheet has enough lube on it you can lube a couple of dozen cases just by rolling them on it and using your finger to wipe some on the necks. Store the cookie sheet face down on top of something in the garage.

I use the ziploc bag method. I spray the empty bag with the lube dump in my brass than shake to distribute.

I only use OneShot for pistol. Rifle its Dillon lanolin. Lay the brass in a cardboard box flat, spray, roll back and forth, machine.

I like the idea from Tripwire!!! As I hunt only with a flintlock muzzleloader, I have cans of mink oil around here!!! It will last for ever!!!

I should also say that for my gas guns, I lay out my cases on a towel and spray them, roll them, spray them. My precision stuff I do with a patch.

Thanks again everybody for all the feedback!!!

I use One-Shot for 9mm, sprayed in a plastic bag with cases. Shake'n'bake to distribute lube. Let cases sit for 5 minutes with bag open, dump into case feeder and off we go!
smile.gif

Rifle brass = Imperial. But I'm thinking of trying the "Case lube for cheap bastards" taken from AR15.com. Purchased the ingredients/supplies but haven't mixed it up yet. It's supposed to be like the Dillon spray lube.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_42/305174_Case_Lube_for_cheap_bastards.html

All the best,
J

I don't use that lube, but with another spray lube I use a box instead of a bag. I duct tape the bottom of the box so no brass gets in the cracks. Dump brass in, spray, shake and repeat. I set the box next to the press and use it to hold the brass till ready to dump in the press. Once complete, I fold the top of the box so no dust gets in there till ready to use again.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MtnCreek</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't use that lube, but with another spray lube I use a box instead of a bag. I duct tape the bottom of the box so no brass gets in the cracks. Dump brass in, spray, shake and repeat. I set the box next to the press and use it to hold the brass till ready to dump in the press. Once complete, I fold the top of the box so no dust gets in there till ready to use again. </div></div>

I do the same, except that I stand the brass up in the box for the first shot, so that it gets into the neck. The whole process takes less than 2 minutes, though the biggest batch that I've done so far has been about 180.

I'll add my .02...

I use the Hornady spray and will not go back to imperial sizing wax. I spray my cases while standing up, then after a minute, I size them. What I found with the imperial sizing wax was the inconsistency in the shoulder bump. Depending on how much or how little you apply has adverse affects on the amount of shoulder bump you get. With the One-Shot, the shoulder bump is very consistent between cases (yes, I anneal after every firing even when using the imperial wax). Most people are probably not as anal as I am regarding bump so it may be a non-factor with others. For me, I want between .0005-.0001 bump (F-class open rifle).

Although it is not supposed to contaminate powder, I do clean the cases after sizing.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Varmint Slayer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just put 50 pieces in a loading tray and spray every case by just rotating the tray to get all the way around the case and also at an angle to get a little in the neck and to get the cases in the middle of the tray. Takes about 30 seconds and a minute to dry and away I go. Probably not the most efficient way as a lot is probably wasted this way but the stuff is not that expensive and the less time dicking around at the bench the better. </div></div>

^^^^ yep same here! Quick and easy just how I like it

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yeah much faster to put a bunch of cases in a gallon zip lock bag in a single layer and then spray the cases. Roll them around and then spray again. Dump them into a box and start again. I can do 300 cases in about 10 min.

Make sure to let the cases sit for about a minute to dissipate the propellent in the lube.

A little video I made for a friend explaining it to him

</div></div>

I started using this method for my bulk .223 reloading on my Dillon 550. It works like a charm!

I spray them standing upright in a loading block and rotate the blocks to get even coverage. After letting them dry for 3-5 minutes I'll resize and wipe down all of the brass with a damp cloth. I'll usually through them in the tumbler for 20-30 minutes afterwards. I've been doing this ever since Hornady came out with OneShot with excellent results. I just might try the bag method, it looks interesting and I have a lot of LC brass that needs to be worked.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What I found with the imperial sizing wax was the inconsistency in the shoulder bump. Depending on how much or how little you apply has adverse affects on the amount of shoulder bump you get.</div></div>

TrapperT,
Can I get some more info on this?
Thanks!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MtnCreek</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What I found with the imperial sizing wax was the inconsistency in the shoulder bump. Depending on how much or how little you apply has adverse affects on the amount of shoulder bump you get.</div></div>

TrapperT,
Can I get some more info on this?
Thanks! </div></div>

What I found was that the amount the shoulder was moved is dependent on the amount of lube applied to the case. So if you applied it a little heavier to one case, that case would probably have the shoulder moved back a little more than the others (.001-.002 more). Th quantity of lube will affect the amount the material moves. It is just like a stamping press. One way to get a good deep draw is to use a generous amount of oil (along with other factors) when stamping a part.

Since I switched to One-Shot it has been very consistent.

I throw about 20 round in a qt container and hose them down. Dump about 20 more in and shake and hose. And so on. I've never had a issue with to much or not enough.

I spray a shot into my sizing die after shaking the can. While that is drying I spray the cases standing up in a loading block. Usally 50 at a time. I just spray at a downward angle left to right. Rotate the block and repeat. Never had a problem.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wvlapua</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I spray a shot into my sizing die after shaking the can. While that is drying I spray the cases standing up in a loading block. Usally 50 at a time. I just spray at a downward angle left to right. Rotate the block and repeat. Never had a problem. </div></div>

Same here......I always shoot a little in the die before sizing. I have been using OneShot ever since it came out. Out of thousands of cases sized by me......I have't stuck one yet (crossing fingers).

Block and spray. Little in the die to start. Never had a problem.

I know this is a super old thread, but I have a question about One-Shot I haven't found an answer for. How long until I have to re-apply it? That is, how long can I wait to size the brass after spraying One-Shot and letting it dry? How long is the lubrication good for?

Thanks.

I wouldn't spray it until you plan to size the brass. You wouldn't spray it two days before sizing. Make sure to give it a minute or two after spraying for the propellant to dissipate.

I wouldn't spray it until you plan to size the brass. You wouldn't spray it two days before sizing. Make sure to give it a minute or two after spraying for the propellant to dissipate.
Thanks very much, that's just what I wanted to know. Didn't know if it's the kind of thing where I can spray a TON of brass and then size in batches over the next week or so. Sounds like it's not, and I'd be better off spraying then sizing as I go.

I started spraying the cases after they come out of the oven from wet cleaning, so prevent water spots. I'm putting them in Lapua plastic boxes and batch spraying them with One Shot. I've gone over a week on some batches and all is still good in the hood. It's a liquid wax that dries. Smells like crayon wax. So it can sit on a surface a long time.

Thanks very much, that's just what I wanted to know. Didn't know if it's the kind of thing where I can spray a TON of brass and then size in batches over the next week or so. Sounds like it's not, and I'd be better off spraying then sizing as I go.

Yup spray as you size. I usually do 500-1000 at a time. I use a large zip lock to put brass in and spray it then dump it in a cardboard box and then do another zip lock full. It works great.

I started spraying the cases after they come out of the oven from wet cleaning, so prevent water spots. I'm putting them in Lapua plastic boxes and batch spraying them with One Shot. I've gone over a week on some batches and all is still good in the hood. It's a liquid wax that dries. Smells like crayon wax. So it can sit on a surface a long time.
Thanks, FredHammer. Now I have a use for my empty Lapua boxes.

• Love
Reactions: FredHammer