• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Appreciating the 'little things'.

Dunraven

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
Feb 1, 2019
I mean mayflies!.. Sitting in my deerstand last few days, watching deer, turkeys, and swarms of mayflies dancing in front of my window. This is Wisconsin in November. I'm not the greatest at identifying which species, but I believe they could be baetis(blue-winged olives), size #20 or 22. My window sits probably 16 feet above ground, but these critters seem to prefer to flutter and dance right in front of me, almost like they're trying to entertain. Need to appreciate the little things once in a while. or..often.

Wife, grandson, dog and I were out for our daily walk yesterday here in central TX and noticed the butterflies and bees were out in force. Several different kinds of butterflies. Also saw lots of deer tracks going over the trail where a right of way wash cuts through. Good stuff that takes your mind off worrying about stupid shit you can't control.
I just wish we'd get a ton more rain to bring Lake Belton back up.

I never have to ponder past: "Im in America."
I concur !
I run way before sunrise when it’s quiet , and the critters and birds are just waking up.
This morning I could see the moon through the clouds, the temperature was perfect , and my run was going good , THEN a Bull Skunk 🦨 ran out in front of me. Stinker was huge !! 😳 He didn’t pay me any attention, I sure didn’t want any !
With all the bullshit going on in this world , the little things gain more importance in my life. 🇺🇸

I took a couple young guys shooting this weekend and let them use my equipment. I gave then wrong wind-calls so they never hit a target. I hit them all. They think I’m amazing. Ahhhh......the little things.

I took a couple young guys shooting this weekend and let them use my equipment. I gave then wrong wind-calls so they never hit a target. I hit them all. They think I’m amazing. Ahhhh......the little things.
Wade: "Don't trust the government, all they do is lie to us.
Same Wade: "yeah kid, hold 1.2 right" (chuckles to himself)

1667851786674.jpeg
My wife and I don’t have real babies, but our two fur babies keep us grounded. When I come home from work after a shitty day they make it better.

i let my little girl (6) shoot for the first time, off the porch railing, down into the creek at left over painted pumpkins. she loved it. but she wants to shoot with hearing protection, even though its subsonic ammo through a can. go figure. baby steps though, trying to get her not afraid of everything.

she wanted to shoot 100 rounds. it was getting dark so we stopped at 50. she was running the T-bolt and aiming with open sights like a champ. been going over the shooting rules... never point a gun at anyone at any time, treat all guns as if they are loaded, no matter how small the gun is, it is deadly, keep your finger off the trigger until its time to shoot.

She's going to be damn good at it by the time im done. probably have her sit in the deer blind with me this year.

Several years ago I was fly fishing the San Juan and due to the weather most in our group decided to stay and drink at the Sportsmen after lunch since it was cold and wet all day. Buddy and I decided to head back out and wade the side channels basically having the river to ourselves. Shortly after we arrived not only was it dead calm but it started to snow followed by a huge BWO hatch with fish rising everywhere. We had a magical few hours catching fish on dry's and only stopped because it was getting dark and my hands were so cold barely hold my rod let alone tie on a size 24 fly. One of my most memorable days on a river.

Wife, grandson, dog and I were out for our daily walk yesterday here in central TX and noticed the butterflies and bees were out in force. Several different kinds of butterflies. Also saw lots of deer tracks going over the trail where a right of way wash cuts through. Good stuff that takes your mind off worrying about stupid shit you can't control.
I just wish we'd get a ton more rain to bring Lake Belton back up.
I am at the other end of the state, about 70 ish miles north of Dallas and over a bit. I hunt at the Caddo National Grasslands WMA. Unit 901N, "Bois D'Arc" is about an hour from me. Opening day for general season (rifle) was Saturday the 5th. I was almost deciding against going because so many guys show up and even camp out in the rural parking area. Too many hunters, not enough deer. But I went, anyway. Shake some things down in my hunting set up.

For example, I bought an Eberlestock J34 pack and some associated stuff to go with it. Uncomfortable. I could not use the closer between the shoulder straps without garroting myself. The weight all pulls back. So, I have gone back to my Alpz Commander frame backpack with meat shelf. It sits on me more balanced and is more comfortable. My only problem was the upper bar hitting stuff but I would rather deal with that.

Could not find my rangefinder, so I bought a new one that is an improvement over the old one. The hydration bladder worked well and I can install that in my backpack, as well.

All of this, I could have done at home. I could have slept in some more. Going on opening day with so many other hunters, the chance of getting a harvest is slim, at best. Especially with guys getting tired of seeing nothing or thinking they see something and firing off shots. So, why did I go anyway? Because any day that you do not go out hunting, you definitely do not get a deer.

I intend to go every chance that I can. On that property during gun season, you can take one buck. Either legal spread (13 inches or beams are wider than the ear tips at alert) or a spike. And I would take a spike. Trophies are great but I want the meat, either way. You can archery hunt doe but during gun season, you can only hunt doe if you have a doe permit from USFS, and they run the deer check station near Lake Crockett. To get that, you enter a draw. Like a lottery or raffle, you have to win it. The last few seasons I entered and did not win. This year, I finally won the draw. So, given the chance, I can harvest a buck and a doe. I once saw a doe on the county road leading to the eastern most section of Bois D'Arc. They are in the area.

Same here. Noticed the first monarch butterflies about a month ago and the sandhills are starting to come down from up north, its good to hear them again. The "small things" make life good. They don't seem to be bothered much by the election year or climate change drama. There is a lesson there.

All this obsession with butterflies I see here, I wouldn't be surprised if you all wear suits made of skin and dance in front of a video camera singing an 80s song. ;)

All this obsession with butterflies I see here, I wouldn't be surprised if you all wear suits made of skin and dance in front of a video camera singing an 80s song. ;)
Would you fuck me? I'd fuck me!