• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AR-10 Accuracy Expectations??

raptor99

Minuteman
Oct 18, 2005
Pierre SD
Guys, I need some input here. Maybe I am chasing my tail but I have an Armalite AR-10 with a SS std 20" barrel. I put a free floating handguard on it and at first I thought it shot "OK".

I tried different loads for it and settled on one that was keeping 4 out of 5rds in an inch with and overall average of around 1.25"s. SOoooo.. I loaded up a bunch of ammo and when I was out shooting the last couple of times its shooting all over the damn place. One time it will put 4 or 5 in under an inch and the next time the same load is 2+ inches!!!! Its driving me crazy!!

The first round out of its usually high so I now load 6 rounds into the clip to shoot a group. Then it will either keep the other 4 or 5 in the inch range or it will shoot two distint groups about 2+ inchs apart.

I am new to the ARs in the 308s and so far a little disappointed. I know its not a bolt gun but was hoping for around a 1" to 1.25" gun that would "Consistantly" shoot that. What am I missing here?? Asking to much for a semiauto?? Thanks guys!!!

Re: AR-10 Accuracy Expectations??

What is your bullet?

Are you using a scope? Are you shooting off sandbags? Do you have a match trigger? What are you using for a target?

A few more details might help us diagnose, otherwise we'll just be guessing.

Sinister, using a Leupold MK4 shooting 168MKs have shot 175s. These are reloads that grouped the best at the time. Shooting at 1" dots at 100yds off of a bipod and a rear rest.

I want it to be able to keep 3 shot groups on a IPSC target out to 700yds. No match trigger and I know that may be a little part of it but I do a shit pot full of shooting so I do concentrate on my trigger pull to keep it on target as best as I can. I guess I don't feel "Thats" the problem at this point.

I have had the same problem with a DPMS .308.I have shot some 1 hole groups and then shoot 3 in 1 hole and 2 in another hole 1.5 away.Ill be watching this one closely.I shot some groups the other day @200 to test loads.with factory 168 Hornady match 3rds in 1.5 and 2rds 1/2 but they were 3 in apart.I been thinking gas system but evertything is strait not binding.What gives?

AS an after thought the factory trigger was "Cleaned" up a bit and the reason I don't feel its all trigger pull is because the groups are more vertical than horizontal. Mostly going from 11 oclock to 5 oclock.. Hope this helps!!

"I am new to the ARs in the 308s and so far a little disappointed"

Having wrestled with several AR10's in different calibers, you might wish to consider the on-line training especially as it relates to shooting the AR10.
It is a different animal than a bolt gun in the identical caliber with differnt recoil and return to battery impulses.
(Much has been written on these phenomena).
Grip and uniform trigger control are more crucial than you can imagine.
Each and every round fired requires your best execution and follow through.
I offer this avenue of analysis for your consideration, as an alternative to load analysis.

If you have studied and applied the on-line training re the AR10, and are still getting the results you describe, you might wish to try the Copper Creek or S.W. Ammo offerings which have proven very consistent in AR10 platforms.

Blackstone, thanks for the reply and as far as being new to the "308" versions of the ARs I have shot thousands of rounds through the AR15s and the M1As. I traded off an M1A for the AR-10 thinking it would be a better platform for a silencer.

Maybe I am missing something the way I am shooting it but I am shooting slow fire with the same hold and follow through. The trigger is no match trigger by any means so I do "Really" concentrate on my trigger pull and like I stated above I would think if it was a trigger problem I would be seeing horizontal stringing.

Not familiar with the ammo your talking about but if this thing won't shoot with match reloads then its going down the road. I have shot FGMM in it and the new 175LR of the Army with about the same results.

When it does "Group" it will group in .7 to 1" but like posted above the next 5 may well be a 2" pattern then another nice group. That is whats driving me nuts!!!

A lot of it is likely you driving the rifle if you have a friend that regularly shoots AR style rifles accurately perhaps having them try your rifle to confirm would be ideal.

Also perhaps try a smaller dot its not always the case but I have seen some shooters shoot better on smaller targets then they do on larger ones.

I expect that- with hand loads- I can get my LR-308 down to 0.1" groups all day every day. Oh wait, wrong thread...

I suspect my LR-308 is capable of feats of accuracy of which I am not. Off of sand front and back, it shot a 5 shot group that was <0.9" edge to edge, with a cheap walmart (Bushnell Sportview) 3-9 scope. With hand loads I expect to be able to pull that one flier into the ragged hole the other 4 shots made (Was it a flier? I don't know). Anyway, I expect that with some work, this rifle will be boring to shoot from the 100 yard line pretty soon.

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=309524&Number=3511447

Blackstone, can you provide a link for the online ar10 training you referenced above? Is it what is available from the the USAMU? Thanks.

My AR-10 shoots amazing groups but I'm having cycling issues that have me working on various configurations.

These groups are 43.5 grains of Varget pushing a 168 grain A-Max,
shot out of a 20 inch barrel at 100 yards.

5 shot group
19e4d681.jpg

4 shot group
769422df.jpg

Get off the da-da-damn bipod.

I said, "Get off the bipod".

Get bags that fit without shenanigans.

I said, "Get bags that fit without shenanigans".

I know that your not a newb. Just get rid of an unknown and bag or bench it & go from there.

This cranky old bastage is on your side.

I don't understand one God da-da-damn thang that hlee put into this thread except for his last sentence.

And that he has a fine rifle and skills. But WTF other than that.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DavidAR10</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Get off the da-da-damn bipod.

I said, "Get off the bipod".

Get bags that fit without shenanigans.

I said, "Get bags that fit without shenanigans".

I know that your not a newb. Just get rid of an unknown and bag or bench it & go from there.

This cranky old bastage is on your side.

I don't understand one God da-da-damn thang that hlee put into this thread except for his last sentence.

And that he has a fine rifle and skills. But WTF other than that. </div></div>

great advise!

DavidAR10, Its a little tough to shoot without a bipod since it has a quadrail for a forearm. I tried it with a piece of plastic on top of the sand bags but thats more of a pain in the ass than its worth. Without something hard to slide on the quadrail digs into the bags.

I guess I should clear something up here to start off with. I am not trying to make a target gun out of this thing I have rifles for that. I am wondering what most of you are getting for "Consistant" accuracy out of your AR-10s in the standard battle rifle set up.

I know there are you guys out there that shoot the ones with the heavy barrels or GAPs or when you shoot, you load one round at a time. I am NOT intrested in that kindof gun. I just want to know if anyone else has the same issue with their rifles where the damn thing will shoot tight one minute then a pattern the next time.

I guess my original goal was to have a rifle that would keep rounds on a 9" pie plate to 700yds shooting it as I would on any given day off of bipods with a rear bag and a good scope.

Well I took it out last night and shot it on a IPSC target to 700yds and it kept most of my rounds in the A zone and the ones that weren't were because of my dials. (I didn't have the correct data for the rifle when I got to the range.) Here is an example of what it shot
168gr Varget
100-1.25
200-2.1
300-3.75
400-4.1
500-3.75
600-3.75

175 Varget
100-1
200-2.25
300-1.25
400-3.5
500-7.5
600-5.25
700-6.5

I ran out of time on the 168s and had to leave befor I could finish up. I guess it will be good enough for what I wanted it to do. That was shooting off the hood of my pickup with a rear bag and bipods with a 7mph wind switching around head to full value left to right. They were all "3shot" groups by the way.

As I said before try smaller targets it looks like you have issues until 400+ then you suddenly drop sub MOA with both loads it might just be an in your head thing where shooting close up with what looks like a nice big dot some fundamentals slip also with a large dot its harder to hold the cross hairs in the exact same spot on the dot every time. I mean as a number of your longer range groups show the gun is quite capable of shooting well below MOA you just gotta drive it right I think.

Your expectations are not too high...
Armalite claims 1 MOA, and there many who are shooting below that.

You mentioned that the stringing your experiencing is consistantly 11 to 5... I may be wrong, but to me that pattern is indicative of variable other than the accuracy limtitations of the rifle. I would expect, aside from the flier here and there, that limitations from only the rifle would be fairly random.

If it were me, i would try to eliminate as many variables, one by one, to find out whats causing the issue, with each step removing myself as the possibility as well. You may have already gone through this and if so disregard. This is just what would come to mind if I were in your shoes.

Couple questions and thoughts:

Are you using adjustable stock instead of fixed? On a different AR I have an adjustable for shorter LOP, but it is pinned and epoxied to tough as nails, no movement.

Where are your crosshairs after your 'off' group? This should help point in the right direction (no pun intended)

Muzzle device already installed?

You can try some of the smoother covers on your bottom rail to take a trip or two with bags...

Can you move your glass to one of you 'known' shooting rifles in 308 to rule out any issues?

Barrel temp... Just something to think about

Again, if it were me... If I was able to rule out 1 myself, 2 unwanted movement or contact, 3 glass, 4 ammo, I would call Armalite so they can check for any accidental Lemon Flavor that may have been added to either the barrel, riling and spacing as wells as the throat, chamber and BCG.

You bought a fine rifle and with your experience should obtain the accuracy you're looking for. Good luck man.

All,

The OP could have a multitude of problems; but, this much is clear, errors are taking place in the arena of position consistency. Rebuilding the position shot to shot cognisant for the 5 factors of a steady position will assure more consistent recoil resistance and thus better groups. If the rifle is not broken and ammunition is not defective, groups close to zero dispersion at SR are not only possible but probable when picture and motor memory have been made consistent to be virtually identical from shot to shot. Practice will help a shooter master his position. Yet, this sort of practice is somewhat painful mentally and physically. It requires some discipline which few would consider as being much fun. It is simply too much work for most folks to ever realize the possibilities.

THanks for all the replys and ideas you guys came up with. I do shoot at either a 3/4" or 1" dot at 100yds. The glass is good to go, have had it on two different rifles.

The one thing I do remember is when I was doing load testing I was shooting off of bags with a hard piece of plastic for the forearm to ride on but then after load development quit using it becasue it was a pain in the ass. The rifle did seem to group a little better than on bipods but since I will be shooting it off bipods most of the time just decieded to shoot it that way. It also had an annoying habit of always throwing the first round high left after a fresh reload. So during group testing I always put in an extra round.

After shooting it the other night I guess it will be work for what I wanted one for. If I need to shoot small groups or something small a long ways off I have rifles for that.

Thanks again for all who had ideas to help!!!!!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: raptor99</div><div class="ubbcode-body">THanks for all the replys and ideas you guys came up with. I do shoot at either a 3/4" or 1" dot at 100yds. The glass is good to go, have had it on two different rifles.

The one thing I do remember is when I was doing load testing I was shooting off of bags with a hard piece of plastic for the forearm to ride on but then after load development quit using it becasue it was a pain in the ass. The rifle did seem to group a little better than on bipods but since I will be shooting it off bipods most of the time just decieded to shoot it that way. It also had an annoying habit of always throwing the first round high left after a fresh reload. So during group testing I always put in an extra round.

After shooting it the other night I guess it will be work for what I wanted one for. If I need to shoot small groups or something small a long ways off I have rifles for that.

Thanks again for all who had ideas to help!!!!!!!</div></div>

It's all about you. Do you want to shoot great scores at LR? It was important to me so I worked at it. I learned from folks who knew how to actually do it; and, I did what they told me to do, even though at the time I had my own notions for how to get the job done. Since my notions did not get the best results I abandoned them for the better advice given me by experts on the matter. At any rate, at some point you will realize good shooting at LR is mostly about basic marksmanship and results are possible with any rifle that's not broken. If you practice properly you will get somewhere with it and if you don't, well you won't get anywhere with it. There is no substitute for marksmanship. I know you don't yet get it since you refer to the rifle grouping. The rifle always shoots a bullet in the direction it's pointed. It is you that is doing the grouping. Properly point the rifle with consistent sight alignment and pull the trigger without disturbing aim is the essence of it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sterling Shooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: raptor99</div><div class="ubbcode-body">THanks for all the replys and ideas you guys came up with. I do shoot at either a 3/4" or 1" dot at 100yds. The glass is good to go, have had it on two different rifles.

Thanks again for all who had ideas to help!!!!!!!</div></div>

It's all about you. Do you want to shoot great scores at LR? It was important to me so I worked at it. I learned from folks who knew how to actually do it; and, I did what they told me to do, even though at the time I had my own notions for how to get the job done. Since my notions did not get the best results I abandoned them for the better advice given me by experts on the matter. At any rate, at some point you will realize good shooting at LR is mostly about basic marksmanship and results are possible with any rifle that's not broken. If you practice properly you will get somewhere with it and if you don't, well you won't get anywhere with it. There is no substitute for marksmanship. I know you don't yet get it since you refer to the rifle grouping. The rifle always shoots a bullet in the direction it's pointed. It is you that is doing the grouping. Properly point the rifle with consistent sight alignment and pull the trigger without disturbing aim is the essence of it.

</div></div>

At longer range it really helps if the rifle can hold a group itself.

I shot DPMS SASS rifles at 600 yards recently and they were possibly 1.6MOA guns consistently. That is a 9.6" group, but on paper at 600 it might have been more like 13" and some of that was probably constantly changing atmospheric conditions and my failure to properly account for them 100% of the time. Moving targets at 600 with that gun are really part skill and part luck on account of the accuracy of the platform and width of the target.

To be a serious long range rifle, I think the gun should hold less than 1MOA. That's a reasonable expectation of a precision rifle in the modern world, so while I understand your sentiments I think the user is best served by a gun that itself is capable of grouping accurately to begin with.

As another example, my partner at the course was an ex-Marine with 4 or 5 sniper schools complete, and prior to the course he said, "I don't care what they give us, I'd qualify with a BB gun if I had to."

When he got to the DPMS SASS rifle, he was having a little trouble meeting course standards and ended up swapping guns for fear of being un-able to qualify. Accurate guns help. Some shoot better than others.

Your groups show that your rig shoots within a moa. Some of these big chassis AR's suffer from feeding problems. For various reasons (magazine design, barrel extension dimension, follower location, bullet ogive profile) the bullets rattle against the barrel extension and chamber upon entry into the chamber. Good neck tension would be paramount to minimize any disturbance in runout or over all round length. Let a few rounds feed (maybe dummies) then check runout and oal?

Just a few more ideas. Let us know what you find out.

Sterling Shooter,
I respect your opinion and I think I know what your "Trying" to say but to say, "That if I had good marksmanship skills I would be able to shoot where ever I pointed the gun" Is just not so.

I have had guns that would not group 3"s at 100yds no matter who shot them. I "Have" rifles that will shoot in the .1s & .2s at 100yds and when load testing I shot 1.2 and 1.3" groups at 400yds not just once or twice but consistantly barring any wind changes. What I am trying to say is not all guns are equal.

If that was the case then why not buy an off the rack Savage and just get my "Technique" down and go win matches. I spend a lot of money on good rifles to make them as accurate as possible and then I shoot ALOT to try to shoot them as well as possible.

I shoot a couple of times a week from 500 to 1000yds. I not only have wore out many barrels but also a trigger or two. I may not be perfect in my marksmanship skills but I do know the basics and I know when its me or something else.

Yes, this rifle will shoot "Some" groups under an inch but then it will shoot the same damn load into a 1.5" or maybe a 2" group the next time. It may shoot 3.5"s at 300 and then shoot 3"s at 600yds. To me that says something isn't right because I sure don't have that problem with my other rifles. From what I have read, this is not that uncommon with these rifles. I have gotten a couple of off line replys from people who I know who shoot the Armys semiauto sniper rifles and have found the same thing to be true.

I do appreciate all the input from everyone!!

OHIOGUNNUT, Not shooting supressed and my can is a quick detach.

Just built a new .308 ar10 rifle. It is a frankengun based on a Mega Mono set with knights armament bolt carrier group, Noveske barrel etc. It is so tight that when feeding by hand it will not release consistently. Have not shot one round through it yet because want to break it in right. My pal who built it says it will release more consistently after break in and it being tight is a good sign. I surely hope so!!!
smile.gif

znztiv,
I hope its not to tight! A few years back at the D&L shoot in Wyoming several guys were using custom built ARs in 260s and 308s and had a lot of feeding issues because they were built to match specs and when they got that fine powdered dusty sand in them just flat would not feed or jamed up tight.

Im shooting a DPMS lr308 with 24" SS fluted barrel, JP break, JP trigger and i couldnt be happier. .5" 100 yd .75" 200yd groups using custom loads. 168 matchkings 42gr hodgdon 4895. Also i taper crimp. Maybe your seating depths are shifting in the magazine. It also loves federal match. i did notice that it doesnt feed well with softer brass, and have to use military grade. OFF point, im new to the forum. just wanted to say Thanks! to all the users, Ive received some really helpful info here.

I have shot 10k SR-25 that shoot 2 MOA and I recently sold a DPMS LR308 1800 dollar gun that shot .5 MOA. Good quality guns will shoot under 1 MOA no problem. Stay away from Armalite and Knights in my experience. JP makes great guns so does Les Bauer.

My AR10T shot around 1.5 moa with Federal Match. The older generation GAP-10 I had shot around 1moa with Federal Match. A friend of mines OBR does about .75 moa with Federal Match. I have heard some one here doing down to .5 moa but that seems hard for a semi.
Pat

I took it out and shot it again last night from 100 to 500yds with a load of IMR4895 that had grouped well at 100yds. It started to open up at 300yds and by 500yds was shooting 7" groups for 3 shots.

I had 10rounds of my Varget load for my bolt gun with me so I shot them from 300 to 500yds to compare. The Varget load was under MOA from 300 to 500 for three shot groups. My 400yd group was 3.5" and my 500yd group was 2.25"s. The problem is this load is 46grs of Varget with a 168MK which I feel is pretty hot for a gas gun but it seems to like it.

My shooting partner found that 44.5 Varget / 175 smk works best in his Lr; .5moa.

Keep working on it. My basic AR-10 flat top will regularly do under 1 moa with NATO surplus. Way better than I expected to be capable of. Your rifle should beat mine hands down with the target features on it. The guys at Armalite always seem to find time to help with issues like this as well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: raptor99</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sterling Shooter,
I respect your opinion and I think I know what your "Trying" to say but to say, "That if I had good marksmanship skills I would be able to shoot where ever I pointed the gun" Is just not so.

I have had guns that would not group 3"s at 100yds no matter who shot them. I "Have" rifles that will shoot in the .1s & .2s at 100yds and when load testing I shot 1.2 and 1.3" groups at 400yds not just once or twice but consistantly barring any wind changes. What I am trying to say is not all guns are equal.

If that was the case then why not buy an off the rack Savage and just get my "Technique" down and go win matches. I spend a lot of money on good rifles to make them as accurate as possible and then I shoot ALOT to try to shoot them as well as possible.

I shoot a couple of times a week from 500 to 1000yds. I not only have wore out many barrels but also a trigger or two. I may not be perfect in my marksmanship skills but I do know the basics and I know when its me or something else.

Yes, this rifle will shoot "Some" groups under an inch but then it will shoot the same damn load into a 1.5" or maybe a 2" group the next time. It may shoot 3.5"s at 300 and then shoot 3"s at 600yds. To me that says something isn't right because I sure don't have that problem with my other rifles. From what I have read, this is not that uncommon with these rifles. I have gotten a couple of off line replys from people who I know who shoot the Armys semiauto sniper rifles and have found the same thing to be true.

I do appreciate all the input from everyone!!

OHIOGUNNUT, Not shooting supressed and my can is a quick detach.</div></div>

If you call your shots, and shots are not on call, then you would have some understanding which could lead you to believe your rifle and ammunition are possible suspects in your accuracy investigation. Certainly, if error is associated with mags, barrel extension, or neck tension you can single load to reveal if indeed these are a problem. Remember, all error originates in the arena of inconsistency, or not properly countering for trajectory and effects on trajectory. So, once again, if the rifle is not broken and the ammunition is not defective, errors are always about the shooter having an inconsistent relationship with the principles of marksmanship, an inconsistent position, and/or not correctly countering for trajectory or the effects on trajectory.

When shooter/target analysis is part of a practice schedule the source of most errors can be revealed very quickly which can bring about higher scores for a work in progress. And, even when a novice shooter produces groups suggesting a multitude of errors from which no particular source is evident, addressing the whole arena from which the error likely came by placing attention on it is often enough to solve the problem. The point here is that shooter/target analysis is basic marksmanship. Analysis of all shots whether anything is suspected of being broken or not will help a shooter get to the highest plateaus of good shooting.

jtallen83,
Its not a target rifle, its just a stock AR10 with a standard weight barrel. Its just the model that comes with a SS barrel rather than a CM barrel. I shot it again today and have a load that now is keeping 3 shot groups under MOA from 100 to 700yds. I will still get the occasional
Flyer" for whatever reason but its doing what I want it to do now so I can live with that. THanks!!

Sterling Shooter,
You seem to think that everything is "Shooter Related" Well your just flat wrong!!

Sometime its the damn gun or the load. This gun shot several loads around MOA or under at 100yds but at 400 on out it opened up period. Not just once but on two different trips to the range.

Now you can say it was "ME" and my poor marksmanship skills and thats fine. But the load I am now shooting shoots "Consistantly" out to 700yds.
I am not a rookie when it comes to shooting. Like I said I have guns that shoot extremly well and I shoot them a "LOT".

As a side note on my marksman ship skills I shot my 6BRX at 600,700 and 800yds this morning in a 5 to 7 mph head wind snaking left to right and managed to shoot 2.2"s at 600yds 1.7"s at 700yd and 3.8" at 800yds. I am sure if I "Practiced" my marksmanship skills I could have put them all in the same hole.

Since all firing takes place at the weapon, everything is indeed about the shooter. All errors originate from two arenas: inconsistency, and not correctly countering for trajectory, or the effects on trajectory. Inconsistency can be related to the shooter, ammunition, or the firearm. When related to the shooter, it's about not consistently applying the principles, or the position. When shooter/target analysis reveals variable results, the rifle is least suspect. When results are good at SR but disintegrate at MR, inconsistent contact between shooter, gun, and ground is likely. Without the aid of a coach, shooter/target analysis can be attempted by grouping appraisal and call/strike evaluation. Shooter/target analysis does not get better with rounds down range or time on the range. It becomes understood by breaking it down to reasons for a particular error, such as a high right shoulder, which is known to produce horizontal dispersion, or a moving left elbow, which will produce vertical dispersion. One more thing, having no problems with other rifles does not in and of itself suggest anything other than control over those rifles has been easier to maintain. Also, shooting a good 3 shot group occasionally does not mean much of anything. Shooting 20 round strings of fire at scorable targets is a better method of appraising a shooter's progress with marksmanship.

Reactions: Rangewarrior

If someone hasn't already suggested, check the barrel nut and gas tube for binding (poor alignment with key). Sterling I think I understand your point about shooter error often being the culprit and agree. Also the axion "Bullets always go where the barrel is pointed" is a good one, but just not always true. There are many variables completely independent of the shooter pointing the barrel, that can cause bullets to go other places.

No two rifles are exactly the same either. I saw test data of M16A2's locked in mechanical rests shooting same ammo under same conditions. Some shot 1.5 MOA and others 3 MOA, and still others over 4 MOA. OP might have a lemon on his hands. Get someone else to shoot if that hasn't already been tried.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: medcpt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If someone hasn't already suggested, check the barrel nut and gas tube for binding (poor alignment with key). Sterling I think I understand your point about shooter error often being the culprit and agree. Also the axion "Bullets always go where the barrel is pointed" is a good one, but just not always true. There are many variables completely independent of the shooter pointing the barrel, that can cause bullets to go other places.

No two rifles are exactly the same either. I saw test data of M16A2's locked in mechanical rests shooting same ammo under same conditions. Some shot 1.5 MOA and others 3 MOA, and still others over 4 MOA. OP might have a lemon on his hands. Get someone else to shoot if that hasn't already been tried.</div></div>

Not to be argumentative, but while the bullet may go someplace other than where aimed, it will ALWAYS go in the direction the barrel is pointed. A rifle which appears to shoot well on some occasions and poorly on others is not likely a problem originating with the rifle but instead with a shooter's inconsistent position. There are exceptions such as when shooting a rifle with a bad barrel, which might allow mechanical inconsistency. What's important is being able to trouble shoot without the sort of drama found on this thread. An experienced shooter who has learned the reasoning around vertical or horizontal dispersion can quickly isolate the source of error to get on with good shooting. And even when the shooter cannot isolate the source of error, he can address the whole arena from which the error likely came by attending to the arena. Here, the OP has sought opinions on the matter. My perspective is one which has apparently made the OP think I'm questioning his marksmanship knowledge, but, that's just where the facts of the matter were leading me. At any rate, I think most here understand that not all rifles are equally accurate; however, today, unless the rifle is indeed broken and won't shoot from the start, trouble shooting the shooter is the place to start.

my point is careful with statements of absolute (always, never). not to be argumentative, but I've been on here for several years and your threads replies to accuracy problem posts usually follow the same mantra resulting in the predictable "blame the shooter" conclusion. again while i would not disagree with you most accuracy problems are shooter related, accuracy is the product of a system and the shooter is one part, not the whole.

you say the bullets always go where barrel is pointed. i reiterate this is a false statement. they don't. a nicked crown is just one example I can think of where the barrel is pointed one direction and the bullet goes another.

my points over the army accuracy data results for the M16's is somebody is going to shoot that 4 MOA rifle out of that test group. The poor accuracy will not be the shooter's fault. Nothing that soldier can do will change the results, no position, no trigger discipline, no breath training. The only thing that will change the bad results is get another rifle.

In your example the gun (nicked crown) is broken. A gun which is not broken will ALWAYS shoot a bullet in the direction pointed. And, since trajectory is a definitive and uniform arc, marksmanship is a reality. This statement about the bullet ALWAYS going in the direction the barrel is pointed is not only fact, it is the basis of understanding for all assumptions regarding marksmanship. I do not know where the idea originated but it is taught by the USAMU. I believe they know more about good shooting than any other authority; and, therefore I trust their word on the matter.

Sterling Shooter,
You and I will just have to agree to disagree. The only thing I can agree with you on is that, Yes, the bullet will go in the "DIRECTION" the barrel is pointed but not necessarly where its "AIMED".

IF your saying that all guns that are not "Broken" will put the bullet in the same spot all the time that is BS!! Like Medcpt says even rifles put in mechanical rests won't always shoot in the same shot.

I had a 308 that would not shoot any better than a 1.5" group with match ammo, hand loads and bench rest shooters shooting it. The barrel was a top grade aftermarket varmint contour. The man who built it built national winning BR rifles. It was scoped by the smith and sent back to company. Nothing wrong could be found with the barrel or the action, stock or shooters. The damn thing just would not group. SOMETIMES ITS NOT THE SHOOTER!!! I will bet you even the AMU will tell you that.

If what you say is true why are they not shooting rack grade rifles and ammo?? They have custom buit rifles and ammo, the very best you can get. They have their pick of the best shooters the military can provide so why don't they just use any old rifle and ammo at their matches??? I'll tell you why, "Because as good as they are in "Technique" they would get their asses handed to them. By good shooters shooting better shooting rifles that "WILL" put the round where its aimed.

"One time it will put 4 or 5 in under an inch and the next time the same load is 2+ inches!!!! Its driving me crazy!!"

The above is quoted from the original post and is the crux of the problem. This is, variability in the precision of the shooting platform/shooter/ammunition/environment combination.

I'm going to weigh in here, not as a precision shooter, but as a scientist. We have several sources of variability in a shooting scenario. The gun, the ammunition, the environment, the shooter, time ("one never steps in the same river twice.."), etc. We can mostly eliminate environmental factors on trajectory (and, thus, bullet placement) by shooting indoors- or on dead calm days. Buying 'match grade' ammunition (or careful handloading) can minimize the effects of ammunition variability. Shooting from a supported bench position (including but not limited to the use of a gun vice) can minimize the effects of the shooter on bullet impact. Only once all of the other factors are taken into consideration can we evaluate the variability of the gun. I postulate (but am totally willing to be corrected/educated) that all guns- when all other sources of variability are take into account- shoot "consistently." Some may not be able to hold a 3" group at 100 yards, others may shoot single hole groups at 500. I would grant that Sterling shooters definition of a "broken gun" would include a perfectly serviceable firearm in the former group. And, this definition may exclude all firearms except those in the latter group. However, a gun that shoots a ~3" group, should ALWAYS shoot a ~3" (at some defined range) group if all other sources of variability are mitigated (shooter, environment, ammunition, etc). Likewise, there is no luck in shooting (or anywhere)- a gun that shoots single holes should always shoot single holes. Deviation from this "consistency model" necessitates that some other source of variability is not being mitigated. If the environment is held constant- and the variability (inconsistent groupings) remains through several lots/manufacturers of ammunition, then the shooter is the most likely source of error. And- being made from muscle and sinew, having a heartbeat and a breathing pattern, and being susceptible to the effects of discomfort and fatigue- the shooter is the larges single source of variability in shooting.

I tend to look at my "best group" as the culmination of what I and the rifle and the ammunition can do. Any deviation from this "best" is a failing of my shooting- the ammunition should also shoot "consistently" (given a random and normal distribution of error, and sufficient sample size).

By the way, Sterling Shooter, could you share your definition of "zero dispersion?" My definition would be a group smaller than the area subtended by the sighting system used. So, for a typical hunting scope (one available at most "big box stores") at 9x at 100 yards, that group would be about 0.5 in.

There can be dispersion due to aspects other than the shooter. My long-term running average of my pet load with by bolt gun at around .4" is smaller than my long-term running average with Federal High Power 180gr, which is about .55". Changing only the loads changes the average dispersion.

Is my gun capable of better with the ideal shooter? Yes.

In the case of fliers at short range (more than 1" out), that is almost certainly the shooter, though there might be an issue with the rifle as well. I was triple grouping for a while, landing bullet holes on top of each other and then having the POI shift about a half inch at a time. Turns out it was some loose rings.

If you know what you and the rifle are capable of, you notice when things go out of whack and in those cases, a lot of the time, it is not the shooter.

I think the trap we fall into is that the best group we have ever shot becomes our expectation every time. That is rarely achievable.

One thing that I have also learned is that the better shooters get better because they blame themselves and not the equipment for shot dispersion. Take responsibility for fliers, and you will get better because you will focus on what you did wrong.

I thought that I had reached the limit of my equipment with the 22LR at 100 yards a couple of years ago... yet as I worked on it, my scores continued to climb at a local match. Some of that was me finding a better lot of ammo. But most of it was just pushing myself to get better... better than I thought was possible before. In most instances, the shooter is the limiting factor. That doesn't mean we don't try everything possible to get a little edge.

40% shooter, 40% rifle, and 20% ammo. Too many factors to know for sure. Gas semi-auto is completely different from bolt action. Especially when the brass is being ejected under pressure. I weigh all my bullets before reloading and when reloading 168 sierra matchkings i've seen everything from 167.4 all the way up to 168.8.... Just that difference alone can make a difference at 100yards plus. Shooting factory ammo that might be 1.5grn off in powder can drop your bullet almost 3/4" of an inch. Having a gas cycle issue with the bolt. Or the shooter with the smallest trigger pull can jerk a shot 1" to the right for example. Is it possible it could be the shooter? yes... is it possible it could be the rifle? yes... is it possible it could be the ammo? yes!!! In trying to get max accuracy you must take all 3 variables into the equation. There is too many to list nor do I want to take the time.

All,

Everyone here sees things from a somewhat unique perspective. Moving to another perspective would no doubt help folks see things differently. I've been on many stepping stones in my journey to good shooting to see things from many perspectives. But, from any perspective, it should be clear not hitting where aimed is going to be about the rifle, the ammunition, and/or the shooter not being consistent. Trouble shooting inconsistency can be an ordeal unless everything is considered. Yet,too many shooters fail to consider shooter error. They do not realize that even minuscule changes to the position, which will change recoil resistance, can make dramatic changes to the group. At any rate, I do indeed tend to look first in the arena of shooter inconsistency and last to the rifle and ammunition, since I build my rifles from peerless components and massage my ammunition to perfection. Most of the time I get shooter/target analysis right and I get it right very quickly. The last time I was stumped was at an LR match where I called the shot right in there but saw the target come up as a miss. Later in the day, an inspection of ammunition revealed some bullets were not completely wrapped in their jackets. I suspect therefore my miss was a due to the bullet blowing up or coming apart in flight. I am no longer so cavalier with my "match" bullets.

Now, for those who disagree with the statement "the bullet will ALWAYS go in the direction the barrel is pointed", what is the purpose of a sight, irons or scope? The sight's primary purpose is to give us recognition for where the barrel is pointed. If the barrel did not always send bullets where pointed, then sights would be moot. But we expect the sights, when properly fixed to the rifle, to confirm where the barrel is pointed; and, we even expect, with increased resolution, to better understand the target/sight relationship enough to be able to shoot very small groups. So, even though we may not have thought about it, or even accept it as fact, we nevertheless trust that the bullet will indeed ALWAYS go in the direction the barrel is pointed. Raising awareness of this utterly simple fact, however, permits us to see shooter/target errors logically, as it gives us a starting point from which to begin analysis.

I have a Larue OBR and I was getting 1.25 all day long using Hornady 175smk factory ammo. Cut that in half with a wilson trigger.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hlee</div><div class="ubbcode-body">"One time it will put 4 or 5 in under an inch and the next time the same load is 2+ inches!!!! Its driving me crazy!!"

The above is quoted from the original post and is the crux of the problem. This is, variability in the precision of the shooting platform/shooter/ammunition/environment combination.

I'm going to weigh in here, not as a precision shooter, but as a scientist. We have several sources of variability in a shooting scenario. The gun, the ammunition, the environment, the shooter, time ("one never steps in the same river twice.."), etc. We can mostly eliminate environmental factors on trajectory (and, thus, bullet placement) by shooting indoors- or on dead calm days. Buying 'match grade' ammunition (or careful handloading) can minimize the effects of ammunition variability. Shooting from a supported bench position (including but not limited to the use of a gun vice) can minimize the effects of the shooter on bullet impact. Only once all of the other factors are taken into consideration can we evaluate the variability of the gun. I postulate (but am totally willing to be corrected/educated) that all guns- when all other sources of variability are take into account- shoot "consistently." Some may not be able to hold a 3" group at 100 yards, others may shoot single hole groups at 500. I would grant that Sterling shooters definition of a "broken gun" would include a perfectly serviceable firearm in the former group. And, this definition may exclude all firearms except those in the latter group. However, a gun that shoots a ~3" group, should ALWAYS shoot a ~3" (at some defined range) group if all other sources of variability are mitigated (shooter, environment, ammunition, etc). Likewise, there is no luck in shooting (or anywhere)- a gun that shoots single holes should always shoot single holes. Deviation from this "consistency model" necessitates that some other source of variability is not being mitigated. If the environment is held constant- and the variability (inconsistent groupings) remains through several lots/manufacturers of ammunition, then the shooter is the most likely source of error. And- being made from muscle and sinew, having a heartbeat and a breathing pattern, and being susceptible to the effects of discomfort and fatigue- the shooter is the larges single source of variability in shooting.

I tend to look at my "best group" as the culmination of what I and the rifle and the ammunition can do. Any deviation from this "best" is a failing of my shooting- the ammunition should also shoot "consistently" (given a random and normal distribution of error, and sufficient sample size).

By the way, Sterling Shooter, could you share your definition of "zero dispersion?" My definition would be a group smaller than the area subtended by the sighting system used. So, for a typical hunting scope (one available at most "big box stores") at 9x at 100 yards, that group would be about 0.5 in.</div></div>

Two things, first the variables, you include environmental factors as a variable, I do not, since the environmental factors that effect trajectory can be countered by the shooter; and, when not countered correctly, it is shooter error. Second, when I mention zero dispersion I am referring to point of aim and point of impact intersecting and having no measurable displacement. My goal (using Service Rifle irons) is zero dispersion for every shot I fire in LR competition. This goal forces me to muster a perfect position shot to shot, as well as a perfect sight picture. Mustering these relies on having developed muscle and picture memory through vigorous practice schedules. Realizing zero dispersion is rare although occasionally I have broken back to back spindles marking X-ring hits. In 100 yard MR-31 practice sessions with irons and sling, shooting 20 round strings of fire, again attempting shot to shot zero dispersion, I can usually muster groups in the half inch arena if inspired by good initial hits.

Back to "Accuracy Expectations", I expect to win. I therefore attempt to come to the firing line with a perfect rifle, perfect ammunition, and perfect marksmanship.

Raptor, it is not that hard to shoot descent and consistent groups using bi-pods and rear bags or just bags. The problems you are having is more than likely somewhere in the rifle, scope, or ring to base fit.

Don't buy in to the argument that all rifles are capable of 1/2 min and anything short of that is shooter induced error. AR style rifles are capable of shooting consistent 1/2 Moa they are also capable of spraying rds all over the place.

I have several AR style rifles and they are not all created equal. One cause for erratic and varied performance can be traced to the fit of the barrel extension to the receiver or the receiver face being out of square. If the fits in these areas are sloppy the barrel nut is not capable of preventing movement. If there is movement accuracy will suffer.

Then there is the rail issue, AR rails are not all the same and all rings will not fit all rails. Some combinations are grossly incompatible and will cause erratic performance.

Sterling Shooter never ceases to amaze me, he seems to think all rifles are capable of shooting 1 Moa or less and most dispersion is caused by the shooter. I suspect if you let Sterling Shooter get behind your rifle he will get less than sterling results just as you are experiencing.

I have rifles that almost anyone can shoot under 1 Moa with a bi-pod and rear bags. I have had others that simply was not capable of holding acceptable accuracy. I have also witnessed a myriad of problems with scopes, bases, ring to base fit, barrels, lugs, bedding, ammo, and the list goes on.

Identifying a problem such as yours can be a pain, If you like I can pm my phone number I might be able to find your problem.

Hold on, I clearly qualified my statements about shooter error with an acknowledgement "unless the rifle is broken". A rifle not properly built will be clearly understood as being broken by any good shooter. Knowing how to fix the problem is not the responsibility of the shooter but rather the builder of the rifle. The problem with a shooter who is not a good shot is that he will blame everything on the equipment. It's as if it's all about the rifle when today it's mostly all about the shooter, whether he's shooting an AR or bolt gun.

For me, when I re-barrel a rifle, I expect to go to the range and get predictable results, that's to say, results such as I got from the barrel I replaced before it began to head south. If results are similar, I go on with other business. If I cannot get expected performance I will call the barrel maker and ask for a solution. I trust my barrel maker and he trusts me so we've been doing business for over a decade with only one barrel out of about two dozen needing replacement. My last issue was with cases sticking in the chamber. After I accepted the barrel maker's suggestion to change resizing die the problem vanished plus it appeared I had the most accurate barrel I had ever fitted to my Service Rifle.

Sterling shooter, thank you for the clarification. With iron sights as a reference, a group of 0.5" at 100 yards is certainly within the definition of "point of aim and point of impact intersecting and having no measurable displacement." Whether countered or not, wind is a variable that can cause shot-to-shot variability, which is why I include it as a potential variable.

As an aside... From Wikipedia "In humans, 20/20 vision is the ability to resolve a spatial pattern separated by a visual angle of one minute of arc. A 20/20 letter subtends 5 minutes of arc total."

So, a 1" circle at 100 yards is approximately the limit of a persons ability to distinguish 'dispersion.'

Also- to everyone- it is obvious that the definition of "broken" varies as much as shooters. The lack of common definitions makes a discussion "difficult."

To that end, I pose the following question... Please fill in the blank.

A rifle (a complete rifle, including sighting system) is "broken" when it is incapable of ______________ level of precision when all other sources of variability (shooter, ammunition, etc) are accounted for.

If you wish to answer the question, please avoid 'zero dispersion' as the definition relies on visual acuity (and,thus, the shooter) at the range specified. Thank you.

About resolution. I cannot resolve a quarter minute; yet, I have quarter minute sights, and, when I take a quarter minute adjustment, I realize a quarter minute of movement. Why? I memorize my sight picture. With development of picture memory I do not need to resolve a target. I simply place the bullseye on my front post sight, focus on the post, and repeat. Shooters who do not know about how to properly use irons sights think of the target as something too small to hit using irons. It's a faulty mindset. I can get good hits at LR with irons without having much of a target at all. The secret is to shoot center of mass. Since the eye naturally wants to balance and center things the shooter does not need a highly defined target at all, just a sharply focused front sight post to allow the shooter to understand when the tip of the front sight is indeed in the center of the target. When I have a well defined target I can use a 6 o'clock hold and take a mental snap shot of the picture which I attempt to see again with subsequent shots. Either of these holds is useful when in accordance with sight picture demands.

When teaching iron sight usage I have students shoot at copy paper placed at 100 yards; thereafter, the students shoot the 6.5 inch SR-1 bullseye target using either a center of mass or 6 o'clock hold. The students are always surprised to see smaller groups on the copy paper. Thing is, these new shooters are distracted by the bullseye. They first perceive it is small and this undermines good shooting. They immediately think without the aid of magnification that they are simply wasting their time. Also, these shooters will place so much importance on the target that they focus on it instead of the front sight. Of course, without focus on the front sight the shooter looses recognition of where the barrel is pointed and the result is not hitting where aimed. When shooting at the copy paper there is no distraction, just place the front sight in the center of the paper and focus on the sight, which is easy since there's nothing on the copy paper to tempt focus.

Wind and weather effects need to be countered by the shooter to hit where aimed; therefore, error associated with wind and weather is shooter error. Basic marksmanship shows the shooter how to counter for wind and weather effects, as well as how to properly adjust sights to change trajectory, or accommodate slope shooting.