• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AR-10 Barrell

Re: AR-10 Barrell

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bolt56</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Guys, Going to put new <span style="font-style: italic"><span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">barrell</span></span></span> on my AR-10. What do ya'll reccomend? Bolt56 </div></div>

What's a barrell?
wink.gif

Joking aside...since people seem to use AR-10 as a univseral term to mean any .308 AR...which specific platform do you need to rebarrel? (Armalite, DPMS, RRA, etc., etc. use different barrels/extensions that aren't necessarily compatible between the different platforms).

Also, what specifically are you looking for (match/target barrel, long-life chromed-lined blaster barrel, etc.) and what specifically do you plan on needing to do with the rifle with the new barrel?

ORD, Wasn't thinking. Its a Armalite, would like a match/target that is threaded with a muzzall brake. Hope to use it in some tactical matches.

I am running a 18.5" Rock Creek 5 R 1:11.25 twist Blank that I had Jim Ruiz @ Predator Custom in Knoxville TN chamber, contour and match to my bolt. He has done 11 for me (counting mine) and they are TAC Drivers. Happy to share details if you want just PM or e-mail me

There are numerous options for quality Armalite-pattern barrels. It more or less comes down to several issues as to which is best for you based on: 1) price; 2) how long you want to wait; 3) how much work you want to go through on the end (i.e. - do you want a "drop in" barrel that you can order/install yourself or do you want a blank to have somebody like GAP, etc. install the extension/chamber/fit/etc.).

I'd personally stick to something around the 18-20" length MAX (closer to 18" for a barrel you are going to be running/gunning with to save length/weight/etc.).

Check out the following as a start (in no particular order):

1) Rainier Arms UltraMatch Armalite pattern;

2) Rock Creek 5R;

3) Krieger;

4) Bartlein.

There are also the Armalite barrels direct from the factory which include the match barrels they use for the AR-10T rifles/carbines, as well as the NM model, which are good options. Noveske also has excellent, match-quality Armalite pattern barrels!

I've also built a few AR10's (Armalite) with Rock Creek blanks and have had very good results. I use BAT extensions with them and thread/chamber/contour them myself and they've all shot extremely well. I've done them in 308, 260, and 6X47 Laupua although I don't have any accuracy results on the Lapua due to lack of time. I agree also with LoneWolf on the weight issue...they get heavy in a hurry.

I forgot to add call up Brux barrels. They'll provide you with one of their excellent cut rifled blanks fully contoured, threaded and chambered with the extension installed and gas port drilled at a very reasonable price.