• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

AR-10 bullet weights

45ACP_Marine

Private
Minuteman
Dec 18, 2009
Texas
So I have an AR-10 and am used to shooting 175 - 180 grains through it and its predecessor. Am curious if there is any benefit to shooting a 147 gr bullet like the m80? Any opinions with reasons?

Yea, 147gr bullets are cheap! Whether reloading or buying factory ammo, I've found 147gr to be cheaper, and more cost effective for practicing marksmanship inside 200 yds. The groups aren't as tight as 175gr match ammo, but I can live with that.

Now, if I could find 175ish SMK or Hornady bullets for the same price as 147gr, I'd reload 175 all day long.

Aside from the cost factor and having plenty of cheap practice fodder...there is no real benefit to running the basic 147gr ball projectiles. Your accuracy will suffer compared to good match-quality pills, and your long-range performance will suffer as well. As sentry1 said...for short-range practice (or "plinking" which is not really a great idea with a .308/7.62 these days, but to each their own), there is nothing wrong with ball ammo/projectiles.

Now, if you are just talking about running lighter bullets for decreased perceived recoil, increased muzzle velocity, or for some specific competitive or game animal uses/advantages, then you may be able to achieve desired results with dropping down to the 147gr-155gr range...again...it all depends on you and what you want/need from your rifle. Also, depending on what twist your barrel has, you may not be able to run the lighter bullets as efficiently/accurately as the heavier bullets anyway, regardless of bullet type.