• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AR-10 carbine - Suggestions

captnmo

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 19, 2008
Fort Lewis, WA
My next covet is for an AR-10 .308 carbine and I'm doing some shopping. I want a 16 to 18 barrel. I'm actually leaning toward the 18 inch barrel because it would serve both well in carbine and hunting applications. The only rifle I've found in that catagory is the DPMS 308B with the 18" bull barrel. But I don't really like the fact it doesn't have a dust cover....is that a real concern or am I sweating something stupid?

The other option I've looked at is an Armalite AR-10 but don't really like the skinny barrel.

The other option I've found was the DPMS 308 AP4s. Not sure if that's a good rifle or if it's a lot of hype.

I'm looking for something that's accurate and reliable out of the box but something I can build on later. Any suggestions or experience with these? Thanks.

Re: AR-10 carbine - Suggestions

Skinny barrel? Are you worried about how it looks or how it shoots?
Both the Armalite 16" carbine and 20" rifles are as good as you can get in the AR type platform. They've got chrome lined barrels, forged receivers, much better triggers than the DPMS, and that dust cover comes in handy when you're crawling around in the woods hunting. Armalite also has a life time guarantee if you buy new from them. If you're really stuck on an 18" barrel, you can get the AR10T and have the stainless barrel cut to what ever length you want, or there are plenty of aftermarket barrel choices available. Another thing is, DPMS carbine length rifles use a carbine length gas system, where Armalite uses a mid length gas system which runs much smoother. They also offer the AR10T in a .338 Fed with a 22" barrel, but that doesn't sound like what you're looking for.

The Armalite AR-10 is an all around better rifle, in my opinion.

I am pretty sure they have stopped with the skinny, "infantry weight" barrel, and are now shipping a thicker, so called medium profile barrel.

A 16" barrel should serve fine for hunting, unless you are looking for a long range rifle, but you stated you were looking for a carbine. The 308 ARs are a lot heavier than the the 556 ones, and I would stick with the 16" to keep the weight down, if you are looking for a carbine.

I had a MTU shooter squadded on the next point at Perry this year in the Wimbledon and he was using one. He said the recoil is alot to deal with and they had magazines with five pounds of lead in them to help with recoil.
I had not paid much attention to him until he started shooting and the muzzle blast was like a magnum and I looked over and saw it was actually a AR10. They use M14 mags in theirs modified for the mag release.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steelcomp</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Skinny barrel? Are you worried about how it looks or how it shoots?
</div></div>

Both really. But thanks for the info. I didn't know that about the Armalite carbines. Thanks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AZ EMS Pilot</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> A 16" barrel should serve fine for hunting, unless you are looking for a long range rifle, but you stated you were looking for a carbine. The 308 ARs are a lot heavier than the the 556 ones, and I would stick with the 16" to keep the weight down, if you are looking for a carbine. </div></div>

I do want something short, but willing to live with the extra two inches for better long-range performance. Thanks for the info.

+1 for the AR-10 16" and 20". I have both uppers, and they are BOTH shooters. 1/2 MOA with skinny barrels.

DPMS 16" AP4 has dust cover, heavy barrel contour is thicker than M1A. More like MKll MOD 0.

I had the 24" bull upper cut to 20" and the AP4 16" upper.

I stuck with the Ap4 16in upper as it does everything the super heavy 22" bull barrel does except shoot 900 and 1000yds. Which I have about 5 other guns that do.
DSCF7720.jpg

16inch1-1.jpg

How about the LWRC REPR? From my understanding the black rifles will start shipping next month and the MRE guns will ship in January

762sass is currently selling 16in. ar10t barrels. Just the ticket you're looking for I bet.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gunsmithcat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">762sass is currently selling 16in. ar10t barrels. Just the ticket you're looking for I bet. </div></div>They're actually SASS carbine barrels.

Yeah, so about those POFs and LWRCs....Great guns I'm sure, but a little rich for my blood. I'm an amateur so I don't think I'm going in that deep for a carbine. Unless you guys know where I can get one for a DEEP discount, I think Armalite and DPMS are more my flavor at this point.

CARRYAGLOCK, I love the work you've done on your DPMS. I'm thinking of making this a project gun and in time do something like you've done with yours. Thanks for the pics!

You can find an AR10A4C with forward assist for less than $1250 -- some dealers will also offer mil/LE discounts.

Add a Larue or similar free float rail, a Geissele trigger, and ACOG and you've got a 7.62mm M4 equivalent that will help you cover from muzzle to 500 yards. You'll be able to shoot standard Ball or match.

+1 on the 16" Armalite carbine. If you search long enough you may be able to find one for $1200-1400. They're hard to find though. The Armalites come with a chrome lined barrel which can be a good option, and the DPMS's don't have that.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sinister</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You can find an AR10A4C with forward assist for less than $1250 -- some dealers will also offer mil/LE discounts.</div></div>May you suggest a few places where I could find an AR10 carbine for less than $1250?

There aren't any now, but I have recently seen AR-10 carbines go for $1250 or a little less over on arfcom. The one linked is a stainles T model, which usually cost about $300 dollars more than the standard A4 model from the factory.