• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

AR 10 feed issues

Re: AR 10 feed issues

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: c_bass16</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
If your weapon fires and cycles properly with the mag held up in the mag well, then you most likely need to add "something" to the top side of your mag slot to hold it up higher. </div></div>

Again, why not just "adjust" your feed lips UP thus allowing the first or next round to set higher in the mag? Guys, this is a common adjustment with AR mags and even with my, comparitively speaking, limited experience, I've solved this problem several times in this manner. I'm I missing something that has been said here? Sorry if I'm being dense.

A last note on the other topic. ALL weapons systems are in a constant state of evolution, thier makers continually trying to improve upon them. Redesign here, redesign there. To say that a weapon is not a "Piloshit" because it is not EXACTLY like the original made how ever many years ago is complete bull shit. If that were the case, hardly ANY weapon made today would be what it is called. That train of thought just aint gonna make an argument. Sorry, but like I said before, wether they're good or bad, Armalite builds AR10's, A's to Z's. Oh, and just for the record, thier 5.56 is an M15, not an AR15
smile.gif

okie

Re: .308 AR feed issues

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DP425</div><div class="ubbcode-body">As far as different magazines... AZ EMS Pilot is incorrect. There are TWO, and only TWO magazine specs for the .308 series of AR-10 and AR-10B pattern rifles. There is the ORIGINAL, true AR-10 pattern magazine (it was a stamped waffle type mag) and the current AR-10B magazine (modified M14 mag). With the exception of a few rifle builders who use the AR-10B lower receiver and armalite itself, virtually every other builder of AR-10 type rifles uses the AR-10 magazine (albeit, minus some of the waffling on the mag itself-- dimensions are the same).
</div></div>

Nothing I said was incorrect :

Armalite, Knights, DPMS, and Rock River all have different receivers, bolt carrier, and magazines (except Knights and DPMS which shrare a magazine ONLY).

Armalite uses the modified M-14 magazine
Rock River/Bushmaster use the FAL magazine
DPMS and Knights use the orignal AR-10 style magazine

Re: .308 AR feed issues

I would agree with those saying to bend the feed lips up. This seems to be a common issue with DPMS pattern 308s, and most of the time the feed lip mod takes care of it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DP425</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The interesting thing here is, the different magazine design on the 10B series; I have to believe this was simply done for reasons of increased magazine profits. The AR-10 style mags feed every bit as reliably as the M14/AR-10B style magazines. But by making a design exclusive to the armalite rifles, it almost forces the consumer to buy direct from armalite instead of using, lets say... a KAC mag or, a surplus AR-10 mag (not that they are plentiful).</div></div>

When Mark Westrom purchased the company 1994 and the rights to the ArmaLite trademark in 1995, the 1994 assault weapons ban was in place. Westrom made the decision to use the modified M14 mags in the current series of AR10B rifles in order to give the public a legal high capacity magazine during the ban period. The original AR10 waffle mags and the KAC mags were not nearly plentiful enough or economical enough to supply the public. DPMS and all the other companies have gotten into the 308AR market after the 1994 ban sunset. These companies were free to start producing high cap magazines for the majority of states that allow new production high cap mags. Westrom decided to retain the M14 style mag after the 1994 ban sunset in 2004 and improved the design with the Generation II mags. For people living in states such as New York which has penal law still mirroring the 1994 assault weapon ban, Westron's AR10B can be used with legal Gen I mags built on preban M14 bodies. Purchasers of DPMS LR308 and similar rifles are stuck using 10 round mags or very old and expensive original waffle mags or older KAC mags. Mark Westroms decision was not about profit but about giving the public a legal,readily obtainable high capacity magazine during the 10 year assault weapons ban. Here is a link to the Armalite history http://www.armalite.com/images/Library/History.pdf

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Badshot308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When Mark Westrom purchased the company 1994 and the rights to the ArmaLite trademark in 1995, the 1994 assault weapons ban was in place. Westrom made the decision to use the modified M14 mags in the current series of AR10B rifles in order to give the public a legal high capacity magazine during the ban period. The original AR10 waffle mags and the KAC mags were not nearly plentiful enough or economical enough to supply the public. DPMS and all the other companies have gotten into the 308AR market after the 1994 ban sunset. These companies were free to start producing high cap magazines for the majority of states that allow new production high cap mags. Westrom decided to retain the M14 style mag after the 1994 ban sunset in 2004 and improved the design with the Generation II mags. For people living in states such as New York which has penal law still mirroring the 1994 assault weapon ban, Westron's AR10B can be used with legal Gen I mags built on preban M14 bodies. Purchasers of DPMS LR308 and similar rifles are stuck using 10 round mags or very old and expensive original waffle mags or older KAC mags. Mark Westroms decision was not about profit but about giving the public a legal,readily obtainable high capacity magazine during the 10 year assault weapons ban. Here is a link to the Armalite history http://www.armalite.com/images/Library/History.pdf </div></div>

Same reason that Bushmaster used the inch and metric FAL magazines in their BAR-10...cheap, plentiful 20 round magazines. But then Bushmaster jacked up the price of the rifle while claiming that since they didn't have a proprietary magazine, you actually save a bunch of money in the long run.

....then they had bolts cracking from being improperly treated, a recall to fix it and poor sales due to the high price of the rifle. I still have mine - shoots like a champ and never had the bolt issue (which they'll still warranty to this day).

Oh, and do what they all said about the feed lips.
wink.gif

Before you bend the feed lips, push the follower down and feel the underside of the lip. Odds are its very sharp. This edge is a byproduct of the manufacturing process and can cause the rounds to sit as much as 1/32 lower in the mag than intended. File it off and see what happens. This trick conbined with lubing the mag has always worked for me...I've never resorted to bending anything which if done incorrectly can ruin an otherwise good mag.

If you all would go over to the DPMS forum site and do a bit of reading, you could see that the problem might (key word might) be the bad batch of magazines DPMS had last year. Jams, misfeeds, double feeds, lots of frustrated people

http://dpmsinc.com/forum/topics.aspx?forumID=20

They are aware of the issue and are replacing defective magazines under warranty.

My 2 recent production mags work fine, HOWEVER, I am going to buy some new CProducts mags for my 2 rifles

Best
DC

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300zero</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I had that problem with an AR-10 built. Try the Magpul mags. I got rid of the rifle. I got an M1A to replace it. My weapon fires and feeds flawless every time now. </div></div>

I've seen that damn M1A jam...... don't lie to these good people!
wink.gif

I've seen many varied malfunctions of the M1A as well.

A beautiful rifle indeed, but not as accurate, or as reliable as the internet fables would lead one to believe.