• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AR-10 in .260 remington distance

klyon

Private
Minuteman
Nov 16, 2012
Ohio
Building AR-10 in .260. DPMS upper with 24 inch barrel with DPMS lower, 2 stage trigger (havent picked out yet) magpul PRS stock, with leupold mark 4 LR/T 8.5-25(purchased) with 20 moa AR rings (havent decided on bases). With this type of set up in an AR-10 what kind of distance is it possible to shoot? would appreciate the feedback to see what others are shooting.

Re: AR-10 in .260 remington distance

Have the same basic setup accept with a 26" barrel and it's a space gun that I use for across the course and shot the first season I had it for NRA Long Range. It shoots fine at 1k, and no doubt can go farther. Was able to push 142's around 2760fps.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CrazyDonkey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Past 1000yds. </div></div>

Yep... Probably have a hard time finding a range that will allow you to shoot as far as the gun is capable.

buddy of mine has one in 6.5 creedmoor and with factory 140gr he can reach 1120 yds and hit almost all the time but he is good like that too.
no doubt an AR in 260 will do the same.

kylon, seeing you are from Ohio I feel obligated to make sure you get that rifle out to Rayner's or Thunder Valley and then you'll know what it can do. Where are you in Ohio?

FWIW, I'm in the process of putting together a similar rifle for next year.
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: drakeky</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CrazyDonkey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Past 1000yds. </div></div>

Yep... Probably have a hard time finding a range that will allow you to shoot as far as the gun is capable.</div></div>
He's in Ohio, so there are a couple of ranges he can stretch it out.

I live 30 minutes from thundervalley I go out there 2-3 times a year to shoot. Great place and Tom is very nice and always willing to help.

lucky bastard... 2-3 times X year??? I would go once a week.. I would have that HH course down.... yea you will laugh at the 1000 after getting a dope chart hitting the mile won't be a surprise

A few quick thoughts:

1. An AR won't be as accurate as a bolt gun - under most circumstances.

I have a 260-cal AR10, before everyone calls me a heretic, I know of what I speak. The comment is about the platform, not the accuracy of the caliber.

2. 1000 yard gun it might be with a 26" barrel, plan on losing a bit as you cut that pecker down.

3. If this is your first AR10, I'll save you some headache and tell you in advance: lube the bolt. Allot. When you think you have too much, add a little more. Lube the bejesus out of the thing till it is nice and broken in.

It is an awesome platform and an awesome caliber, you will enjoy it.

Helping a bud put one together and load for it.

Smith chopped 4" off the DPMS full length barrel, turned off a bunch of steel, @300'above sea level, 43/H4350/140Amax, Remington cases, is magic (two more grains of same propellant/120smk is too out to 300 ys, then 140 performs superior to the 120).

"Magic" to me means three shot 100 y groups with no paper between three holes, and less than 9 mils of drop at 1000y.

Semis, always use the expander ball in the sizer die, but, in a separate step, not while sizing. Expand on the down stroke of the press handle.

Oil is for granny's Singer sewing machine. Grease the bcg, buffer spring.

Most of the time I spend shooting at the house I have 400 yards behind my house and 550 yards at my parents. Then my buddy has 950 yards on his farm. So those 3 spots are free to shoot at. I go to Sarvers when I really want to reach out there.

what kind of lube are you using on the bolt Rancid? As for loads to try in this rifle i was going to start with a 140gr A-Max with 39gr of varget with remington brass. Any body have opinions on what else i should try

Thanks for the replies fellas I appreciate the info

Well, I deer hunt with mine out to 700. If punching paper you can go alot further.

I had GA Precision build mine with a 22" Bartlein. It's plenty capable past 1000yds. It's sub-MOA easy at 700-1000yds, with hardly any down angle on the final leg of the flight path, especially with 130gr Berger VLD's, which I can put into .4-.6" at 100yds with H4350 at 2840-2860fps.

No need for 26" long barrel for me.

2012-10-20153036.jpg

2012-10-20153526.jpg

I own a similar DPMS, only mine is chambered in 6.5 Creedmor. My buddy has yours in the 260. H4350 has been working great for him with the 140 AMAX's. I highly recommend using TW25B grease for your BCG, and other friction points.

Forgot to add, His long shot with CK was at our prairie dog town, distance was 1326 yds. Your rifle will reach out there and be as accurate as the human element will allow it to be.

Everything Rancid Coolaid said is true and I would take it to heart.

A GREAT lube for the bolt is Tru Flow. You can get it at any walmart or other places. It's fantastic and not too "oily". Spray the crap out of it and make sure that bolt is LUBED.

Tru-flow @ walmart got it. Build is being slowed down a lot with all the stuff going on in media. Cant get a lower anywhere. So dont know if this project will be done anytime soon.