• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes AR-10 Optic Mounting: Rings vs. One Piece? Height?

gunsandgear

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Feb 17, 2018
First of all, thank you for the responses to all my questions over the past week, this forum has really helped me out.

I finally decided on an optic but now I need some advice on a mounting solution. I am looking to mount a T5xi 3-15 (34mm tube, 50mm objective) on an AR-10. Please let me know what other information would be useful.

Questions:
1) Rings vs. one piece mount?

2) What height rings or mount? I ideally want an additional 20 MOA of elevation. Currently have a SOPMOD stock on the rifle, not adjustable for height.

3) Anyone have pictures of their similar setups (with the corresponding information)?

I'm using an American Defense Delta one piece mount on my SIG 716. It's 1.5" height which is perfect. Built like a tank, well worth the money.

Reactions: CSTactical
I like that ADM Delta mount, but I don't think I need the QD capabilities and my understanding is you can usually shave some weight by ditching the QD system. If QD vs. Non-QD doesn't make much of a weight difference then I am open to a QD mount for this optic.

not even sure if you can have MOA built in with rings? but certainly with a mount you can get 10, 20, 30 moa which helps in reaching out to 1k and beyond. also since a mount has built in rings, shouldn't have any alignment issues, need to lap or whatever.

i have a couple of the nightforce unimounts and they work just fine. also a gg&g, ditto.

ADM's website says that the Delta is meant for AR-10s and the Recon is for AR-15s, is that the case?

And @sakobob, not sure what you meant.

Any more suggestions? I'm leaning towards the one piece extended mounts that push the optic forward a bit. I wish that aad mount was in stock, it looks like exactly what I want.

Geissele, ARC M10 or Spuhr one piece mounts if you need/want the extra cant. Rings if not. Aadmount stuff looks pretty nice too but they never seem to have anything in 34mm.

Ya, I definitely want something canted right around 20 MOA. The aad mount is a tease!

Have a look at Spuhr mounts. You can get them with MOA and they have an amazing leveling system. There’s a cant level built in, and you can mount a cosine or angle indicator on the side. They make lots of mounts that will work with a flat-top rail.

I’m buying them from now on.

Last edited:
Reactions: Henok
For those who refer to this thread in the future: I went with a Nightforce Unimount (p/n A194): 1.44", 20 MOA, 34mm, Extended Unimount to mount an optic with a 50mm objective on a flat top AR-10. I will report if there are any issues.

Reactions: skierhs
For those who refer to this thread in the future: I went with a Nightforce Unimount (p/n A194): 1.44", 20 MOA, 34mm, Extended Unimount to mount an optic with a 50mm objective on a flat top AR-10. I will report if there are any issues.
Just an FYI, the large frame uppers (AR-10) are typically large enough you can use a standard mount (non-cantilever) and still have enough room forward for your scope. I have used ARC M10 QD-L mounts with my large frame AR's and have been fine. I am also considering going back to the Badger 22 MOA riser with low rings on my next build...

Just an FYI, the large frame uppers (AR-10) are typically large enough you can use a standard mount (non-cantilever) and still have enough room forward for your scope. I have used ARC M10 QD-L mounts with my large frame AR's and have been fine. I am also considering going back to the Badger 22 MOA riser with low rings on my next build...

I appreciate the information. I went with the cantilever because I didn't want to have the mount touch the rail on the forend of the rifle. Either way, besides my LT-104 it's my first "high end" mount for a variable power optic so I had to start somewhere. I'm looking forward to either enjoying this mount (hopefully) or at least learning what I don't like(y)

I went with the cantilever because I didn't want to have the mount touch the rail on the forend of the rifle. Either way, besides my LT-104 it's my first "high end" mount for a variable power optic so I had to start somewhere. I'm looking forward to either enjoying this mount (hopefully) or at least learning what I don't like(y)
That's what I'm saying, the large frame AR's are large enough to put a standard non-cantilevered mount and not hit the handguard, the image below shows an ERA-TAC mount on top and the ARC M10 QD-L on bottom, neither went all the way to extend beyond the upper receivers top rail...

f5NObQD.jpg

@wjm308, I understand what you are saying. Are there any agreed upon advantages/disadvantages to running cantilevered mounts vs standard?

First of all, thank you for the responses to all my questions over the past week, this forum has really helped me out.

I finally decided on an optic but now I need some advice on a mounting solution. I am looking to mount a T5xi 3-15 (34mm tube, 50mm objective) on an AR-10. Please let me know what other information would be useful.

Questions:
1) Rings vs. one piece mount?

2) What height rings or mount? I ideally want an additional 20 MOA of elevation. Currently have a SOPMOD stock on the rifle, not adjustable for height.

3) Anyone have pictures of their similar setups (with the corresponding information)?

Are you planning on removing the optic often?

If so, will it be moved around or only on one gun?

If you will be removing it for whatever reason (travel, storage, etc) AND keeping it on the same rifle, a one piece QD would be ok.

If you remove it often AND switch the optic onto different rifles, a non QD is best, imo. You'll have to continually adjust the QD for each rifle.

Either way, I'd recommend a regular spuhr mount. Easy to quickly mount.

I'll get some pics up in the next week or so.

@Dthomas3523, I already purchased a NF Unimount but I appreciate the input. I'm sure pictures of your Spuhr mount wouldn't hurt for people who reference this thread in the future

Reactions: Dthomas3523
a cantilevered mount is only to solve an issue with eye relief related to your mounting location. if you need a cantilevered mount use it, if you don't don't. they add weight and move the scope away from the mounting surface on your rifle, never an ideal scenario.

a cantilevered mount is only to solve an issue with eye relief related to your mounting location. if you need a cantilevered mount use it, if you don't don't. they add weight and move the scope away from the mounting surface on your rifle, never an ideal scenario.

The place I ordered from has no restocking fee, I could just return the A194 (1.44", 20 MOA, 34mm, Extended) and get the A257 (1.44", 20 MOA, 34mm. non-cantilevered). Is it worth it to do so? The amount the A194 extends forward is slight but if it is completely unnecessary I would not be opposed to swapping it out.

that is entirely up to you - buy the mount that fits your need, I'm not in a position to prescribe anything other than very vague (internet) advice. offset is simply to make your desired optic fit your mounting surface when it otherwise wouldn't.

Late to the party but I like to use a PRI extended rail riser with 20-30 MOA slope and low rings.

That combo puts the scope height at AR height and let's me push the scope in to "nose to charging handle" position which I have on all my ARs.

I have seen a high speed video of a .50 BMG AI rifle firing and you can see the rail and scope tube flex significantly so I like my front ring to grab as close to the objective bell as possible to reduce the cantilever. It's not as much of an issue in a less powerful rifle but why not try to reduce the flex?

Late to the party but I like to use a PRI extended rail riser with 20-30 MOA slope and low rings.

That combo puts the scope height at AR height and let's me push the scope in to "nose to charging handle" position which I have on all my ARs.

I have seen a high speed video of a .50 BMG AI rifle firing and you can see the rail and scope tube flex significantly so I like my front ring to grab as close to the objective bell as possible to reduce the cantilever. It's not as much of an issue in a less powerful rifle but why not try to reduce the flex?
Using a rail riser is another option and allows for the use of regular rings. My preference is the Badger 22MOA riser as it is a little lighter and shorter - Height: 0.430″ Weight: 2.9 oz.
Mega_Proof_308_BB-PB_0027.jpg

Here it is with ARC M10 low rings and a Premier LT 3-15x50 scope
PROOF_PREMLT_0001.jpg

Reactions: SGWSHOOTER
Yep, like that except my preference is to mount it a few inches further forward and reduce my LOP too.

I recently put a 3-18 razor on my sig 716 and I definitely required a cantilever. Spuhr 4616 mounted as far forward as possible without touching the handguard worked out perfect for me, all my ar platforms have the ocular even with the charging handle.

I’d like to say I had an answer or an opinion on your question, but I had the same question myself. I chose a single mount with 20 MOA I hope I made the right choice.

Attachments

• B943C2EB-D249-42D5-AE81-3FEFDC1CEE75.jpeg
    B943C2EB-D249-42D5-AE81-3FEFDC1CEE75.jpeg
    317.9 KB · Views: 106
What a great looking rifle!! I’m kinda jealous.
Thanks, that was my build from a post I did on the old scout site called "Journey to my lightweight AR-10" sadly all the info was lost when we transitioned back to the "real" Snipers Hide. Sadly I had to sell that rifle last year; however, it is my desire to build another long range large frame AR later this year or early next year :)

pririser.jpg
Thats how I do it with the PRI. The scope is a VX-R Patrol 3-9x40 with QRW 30mm low rings. The upper is an Aero Precision M5E1 with a Criterion 6.5 Creedmoor barrel, waiting on a handguard.

Also Strike industries dust cover, BCM Gunfighter charging handle (medium) and a Toolcraft BCG.

Thanks, that was my build from a post I did on the old scout site called "Journey to my lightweight AR-10" sadly all the info was lost when we transitioned back to the "real" Snipers Hide. Sadly I had to sell that rifle last year; however, it is my desire to build another long range large frame AR later this year or early next year :)
Oh man I’m sorry to hear that! I just finished my first AR-10, it’s having a few issues right now but I’m trying to work them out.
Good luck with your next one!!

I went Nightforce one piece with 20 MOA built in. I'm really happy. I usually go Spuhr mount but was trying to cut back on weight. It was in the $250 ish range.