• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

AR-10 owners

Re: AR-10 owners

a crimp without a cannelure? just a bit to help bite the bullet so to speak? im just starting to consider reloading for my gasser. do standard seating dies have a crimp or do you have to get a specificly labeled "crimp"? i havent tried to see if i can crimp with what i have and since i use SMKs i never looked into crimping at all

I use .002.
I loaded ten rounds through the mag and then I extrated all ten and remusered off the ogive.
I noticed no change in seating depth.

You'll want 0.003 for gas guns. Another thing that some people overlook is the importance of annealing by which you can achieve more uniform neck tension. Here is a good article for your consideration:

http://www.6mmbr.com/annealing.html

Also, don't be too sure that your "flyers" are case neck tension related unless you are getting bullets shoved back into your cases either while in the mag during recoil or upon chambering from the mag. Its an easy and quick thing to check if you load up a mag, shoot a few rounds to allow the rifle to bang around a little. Drop the mag, carefully eject the unfired, chambered round, and check both the rounds in the mag and the chambered round to see if you are having problems. You may be able to visually see a problem, but keep your calipers handy to make sure you aren't getting less noticeable changes.

.003 . Have measured rounds in the middle and at the end of mags without any movement.

What I do too<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Captain Kirk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I run .002-.003 followed by a Lee factory crimp die in all the AR10s.

Kirk R </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Captain Kirk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I run .002-.003 followed by a Lee factory crimp die in all the AR10s.

Kirk R </div></div>
So, how are your groups?

I primarily shoot steel, never did many groups with the exception of load development. The 3 AR10s I have owned were GAPs with 24" Rock barrels; 175 SMKs seated @ 2.800, Win brass (.002 tension with Lee crimp), CCI mag primers and 45gr of RL15. All rifles where between 1/2-3/4 MOA with this load.

Kirk R

I'm getting 1/2" groups at 100yards in my DPMS LR308 AP4 - no crimp.

COL - 2.780"
168SMK
43.0 grns Varget
Win Brass
CCI LR primer

AR10T, 2200 rnds, .002 NT, crimp die collecting dust. Checked for set back multible times and still do it from time to time just to be sure. May find a problem in the future but up until now, none. You'd think I'd call it good and quit worrying huh?
wink.gif

okie

Oh, I forgot:

178 Amax, 44.6 Varget, FGMM brass, 210m or BR2's, 2.810 COAL

A good test is to measure 5 rounds or so, put them in a magazine and cycle them through and then measure them again. My opinion is that if you want to be sure the bullet is not going to move, you need to crimp it. I use .003, any less and it won't hold tight enough, any more and it won't help.
myerfire