• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

AR-10 Reloading question

Red_Daggs

Private
Minuteman
Jun 1, 2012
North Dallas, TX
I just got a semi-auto .308(or 7.62x51 if you want to be specific), and I have a handful of magnum primers that I use for my bolt gun. Do you think it would run fine in the AR if I start at the low end of the charge range? I run the magnum primers fine through the bolt gun using a few slower burning powders to get them to work effectively, but not too sure about a semi-auto. I do have an adjustable gas block that I can adjust or even close off, but just wanted to hear some thoughts.

Re: AR-10 Reloading question

Mag primers will not be a problem at all as long as you develop the load with them.

As far as mags in a semiauto-CCI's military primers recommended for AR's and M1A's are magnum primers according to the CCI website.

I've always used magnum primers in my Ma-Ten and haven't had any problems.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jmop</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've always used magnum primers in my Ma-Ten and haven't had any problems. </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mtrmn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
As far as mags in a semiauto-CCI's military primers recommended for AR's and M1A's are magnum primers according to the CCI website.</div></div>

Thanks for confirming my suspicions guys, I was planning on going with military primers once I have run out of what I have, or just stick to the CCI BR2, can't really go wrong there.

sorry to hijack but has anyone perfected a subsonic load for gas guns just trying to find a starting point.
Thanks

sorry to hijack but has anyone perfected a subsonic load for gas guns just trying to find a starting point.
Thanks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jwl</div><div class="ubbcode-body">sorry to hijack but has anyone perfected a subsonic load for gas guns just trying to find a starting point.
Thanks </div></div>

Look through the pages of the post below, I saw a load somewhere in there, but not sure where exactly or if it was for a semi-auto or not. It's a good reference anyhow.

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=323517&page=10

be carefull. Start at the lowest charge of powder which you plan to use. Go by the book. On some cals too little powder will cause you big problems. And like the other guy said the Mag LR primers are just hotter to light all that RL22 in a 300wm.

180 grain rem corlokt bullet
CCI mil primer
<span style="color: #FF0000">I don't have my notes available</span>, but I THINK powder charge was SOMEwhere around 10.5 gr IMR Trailboss.
Start load development HIGH and work DOWN to get to subsonic velocities. In my experience, much more than 1050 fps and you'll have one go supersonic every now and then.
Used mine in a 20" bbl Bushmaster BAR10 (same as RRA LAR8.) 1/10 twist.

<span style="color: #FF0000">Checked my notes--it's 11.5 gr trailboss-not 10.5</span>
DO NOT FIRE THROUGH A SUPPRESSOR until you have made damn sure the bullets are stable and not tumbling/keyholing. You want to shoot through cardboard at the muzzle as well as at normal target range. You must have a perfectly round hole. The bullets may yaw soon as they leave the barrel and then stabilize better as they get downrange. If they yaw at the muzzle, you're going to be pissed when you blow that expensive suppressor apart.....

ETA: If you want subs to OPERATE a gas gun, I figure you're SOL. I've seen sub ammo advertised that claims it would operate a semiauto, but I got my doubts. All mine are hand-cycled and I never expected anything else.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mtrmn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

ETA: If you want subs to OPERATE a gas gun, I figure you're SOL. I've seen sub ammo advertised that claims it would operate a semiauto, but I got my doubts. All mine are hand-cycled and I never expected anything else. </div></div>

That's a good point. If you run a semi-auto, get an adjustable gas block and close it off, then you can hand cycle the bolt...easier done with a side charging handle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Red_Daggs</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

That's a good point. If you run a semi-auto, get an adjustable gas block and close it off, then you can hand cycle the bolt...easier done with a side charging handle. </div></div>

Here is a good vid of that, at 1:09 he closes off the gas block to hand cycle, not as cumbersome as you'd think, but the side charge helps a lot.

When I fire mine w/subs, the bolt opens maybe 3/4 to 1 inch and closes back. I don't have a way to cut the gas off.

I also edited my previous post about the amount of Trailboss used in my sub loads.

Thanks guys and again sorry for the hijack